Would you allow someone to give your children counterfeits for Xmas?

(94 Posts)
ChestnutsroastingintheFireligh Wed 18-Dec-13 09:21:45

I don't mean obvious Primarni copies of designs (the school arnt fussy about labels just style) - I mean actual items that are bought from a dodgy market stall/warehouse with fake labels etc

My feeling is that dd especially would be laughed at as she's gullible & wouldn't know the difference but her friends would.

The quality of the items (handbag & sports clothing) are very poor.

AmberLeaf - as Caitlin correctly pointed out, the business of selling fake goods is part of the process of laundering money - including drug money.

I was on a jury in a money laundering case, and the expert witness made this very clear.

IceBeing Fri 20-Dec-13 09:57:42

merry thanks for the offer to stab me if I go to London....that has quite made my day. I will add it to my list of suicide plans...the only way to cope with having made my kid neurotic by buying her European made toys...

Or back in the real world maybe it is totally fine to avoid risks that cost you little or nothing to avoid (buying toy X instead of Y and not buying anything off the back of a van) and keep taking the ones that are a key component of your lifestyle (driving etc.)

3asAbird Wed 18-Dec-13 19:40:23

theres a programme bbc fake britain saw one about little boy killed by ds charger so steer clear electricals.

Lot fake dvds/cds made in uk from bedrooms.

scariest was fake electrical parts ad fake drugs within cheists and nhs hospitals.

Basically in china they fake most things even an egg which was odd. some stuff is made in actual factories hence why looks so good,

Only fake present been given was lion king video as a kids great aunt brought off market stall we neer wathed it as mum was worried it break video player adremember those awful scary piracy trailers with bad looking people at tart of films scared me as a kid.

I do confess brought fake louis vuitton bag and wallet in corfu 10years ago which still use now and people think are real.

greece and majorca had lots fake stuf in touristy shops.

but other stuff not bothered on brand guess for teens with sports wear trainers labels more important im happy with next version converse. uggs i do like but wory buying off ebay would be fake and want ghds but they risky on ebay too.

I thourght most toys re made in china.

MerryMarigold Wed 18-Dec-13 19:32:01

(call me cynical)

MerryMarigold Wed 18-Dec-13 19:30:49

write = quite

MerryMarigold Wed 18-Dec-13 19:30:00

Caitlin, because nearly all the knock off hot destinations are in Muslim countries.it's write convenient really.

Caitlin17 Wed 18-Dec-13 18:19:40

BTW, does anyone who thinks it's OK actually have any experience of dealing with and complying with Anti-Money Laundering / Proceeds of Crime legislation,?

If not, you really don't know what you're talking about.

Caitlin17 Wed 18-Dec-13 18:13:46

No idea why Mary marigolds thinks just mentioning the word terrorism is someone being Islamophobic.

If it were me I would destroy these goods immediately and make clear to the donor I would not accept anything like this in the future.

They are the proceeds of crime. At the very best they are defrauding the UK Exchequer of VAT ; at some stage almost certainly laundered money will have been involved; and at the very worst may well be funding terrorism. The question couldn't be clearer. They are unacceptable. I'd actually be insulted at the idea of anyone thinking I would accept them.

AmberLeaf Wed 18-Dec-13 16:34:41

Primark are most certainly not the only high st store to 'knock off' designers.

The whole lot of the high st clothing stores are knocking off designers!

Also calling Primark 'Primarni' isn't because they do knock offs, it was something started years ago by people making a joke of shopping in a cheap store, humorously trying to make it sound high end.

LadyRainicorn
Ive heard of factories here doing that too, have an order for X amount of dresses for Topshop for example, over produce the order and keep back the excess, which would be sold in markets minus the Topshop label.

the market in counterfeit goods supports not only terrorism, but organised crime and the drugs trade, apparently

I have to laugh at the drugs trade bit.

The drugs trade is incredibly lucrative, the drugs trade supports itself. It doesn't need supplementing!

ChestnutsroastingintheFireligh Wed 18-Dec-13 16:20:05

What itsallgoingtobefine said. Primark do similar designs but use their own branding & labels.

Counterfeits are pretending to be the original.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 18-Dec-13 16:17:45

merry funding terrorism in Turkey? Not heard of the PKK then?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 18-Dec-13 16:14:24

Why is it OK for Primark to knock of designers but counterfeiting in other forms is wrong?

Because it all comes with a Primark label in. Its not being sold as something it's not.

mrsjay Wed 18-Dec-13 16:06:10

oh I dunno crowler least they are being honest and upfront about copying designs I suppose

Crowler Wed 18-Dec-13 16:04:35

Why is it OK for Primark to knock of designers but counterfeiting in other forms is wrong?

mrsjay Wed 18-Dec-13 16:01:54

I dont know what that is itsallgoingtobefine will google I dont really like wearing animal so i would never buy any uggs or a leather jacket

SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Wed 18-Dec-13 16:01:14

My stance on "back of the lorry goods" is that if the price is right then yes I will purchase them.

When I was younger shoplifters used to knock on the door with their van of "goods" and see if you wanted anything.

Never heard of Miss Sassy. Are they like the Juicy ones?

I have a fake burberry upstairs. Well, I am sure its fake. Its as ugly as the real things though grin
And yes my parents, friends parents, people in the street bought them. We also bought and used copied DVDs.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 18-Dec-13 15:55:57

Austarlian sheep are not skinned alive to make uggs though

They are subjected to mulesing though ( which admittedly is only a partial skinning)

Gossipmonster Wed 18-Dec-13 15:52:53

Miss Sassy trousers? hmm they are £9 in our local shop - am I buying counterfeits without realising?!confused

mrsjay Wed 18-Dec-13 15:48:45

Austarlian sheep are not skinned alive to make uggs though

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 18-Dec-13 15:45:33

I wouldn't buy it due to ethical issues though, eg are fake ugg boots man made or made from the skin of some poor creature etc

grin

Ummm... Ugg boots are made from sheepskin, which is the skin of the sheep. You know the brown suedy bit on the outside? Well Thats the sheep's skin. And that snuggly white fluffy stuff? Well Thats the sheep's hair..

I dislike fakes - it's a form of theft, but obviously some people don't see it as theft and justify it to themselves.

There is no doubt that a lot of cheap goods are made unethically, but that doesn't make it okay to buy something fake.

Louis Vuitton, in partnership with local police raided a fake bag factory in China where the children had their legs broken to stop them running away. The only reason there is a market for fake goods is because people are stupid enough to buy them, thinking that it gives them some of the cache of the brand, without the price tag. It just makes them look daft. I have seen fake bags on the internet which claim to be half price - so people are paying hundreds for fake, when they could support those living in poverty abroad by buying something non-fake/fairtrade instead. The "you're supporting poor foreigners" argument is a fallacious one.

Incidentally, charity shops are not legally allowed to sell fakes, though many do. They won't sell fake CDs/videos but will quite happily sell fake clothing, even though they are equally illegal.

LadyRainicorn Wed 18-Dec-13 15:27:52

AmberLeaf many moons ago I used to work in a clothing warehouse and heard much the same - the factory would receive an order for a dozen tops in size 10 and a dozen in size 12 say. They would then make two dozen in size 10 (but half labelled 12) and use the excess material to make some for the snidey market stalls.

mrsjay Wed 18-Dec-13 15:19:15

what SD said really is my stance on counterfeit everybody is entitled to use and wear what they want , just be careful when buying electrical goods GHD fakes are notorious for bursting into flames, I am just wondering though those who would use counterfiet where is your stance on out of the back of a van

DirtyDancing - the market in counterfeit goods supports not only terrorism, but organised crime and the drugs trade, apparently. I would not want my children to receive presents that supported these - would you?

MerryMarigold Wed 18-Dec-13 12:50:31

PS. If you spend your whole life avoiding risk (or trying to), you will turn your kids into neurotics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now