Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be pissed off they are talking about Ronnie Biggs as though he is some kind of hero celebrity this morning

(25 Posts)
advicemuchneeded Wed 18-Dec-13 08:43:24

I actually heard the words loveable rogue uttered. "a kind and generous man who was one of the greatest characters of the last fifty years".

Theres even a life and times kind of thing on one news site as though he is a celebrity.

Was he not someone who attacked an innocent train driver who then died and showed no remorse?

I do not admittedly know loads about the story so am I missing something?

MarysDressSways Wed 18-Dec-13 08:46:32

It was a very serious crime yes. The train driver died of leukemia a few years later though. But yes he had head injuries. Although I'm not sure which robber attacked him.

They're being balanced on bbc breakfast. Talking about the serious nature of the crime rather than just him as a loveable rogue.

diddl Wed 18-Dec-13 08:46:36

I think I heard an ex con talking this morning.

That RB had only been an "observer" & that the train driver didn't die of his injuries, but leukemia.

So that's OK then!hmm

diddl Wed 18-Dec-13 08:49:45

I think Buster Edwards claimed to have "coshed" the driver.

Of course had RB not spent so long on the run & sticking two fingers up, he would probably have faded into obscurity.

I think that most of them received 30yrs!shock

Seems very different to what's handed out now!

You can go both ways - he had a minor role, they didn't know there was that much money when they robbed the train, he's famous/infamous for escaping prison and being on the run. He had little 'choice' once in Brazil apart from to trade on his name as there was no other way he could make money to live.

The other way - he caused great harm to Jack Mills who they beat with an iron bar, to the families of the officers who chased them round the world, and to their own families.

I really disliked the 'celebrity' status as he was a criminal in my eyes.

pianodoodle Wed 18-Dec-13 08:50:11

YANBU

Whatever his actual role he was part of a gang who beat the driver with an iron bar.

He did die of other causes but never recovered fully from his injuries.

womma Wed 18-Dec-13 08:50:11

Is he finally dead then? The press have always had a weird attitude to RB, as though he had some heroic status but I'm not sure for what.

pixiepotter Wed 18-Dec-13 08:50:41

OP I thought the exact same thing! I am guessing they will get a lot of complaints!

SettingPlaster Wed 18-Dec-13 09:52:26

Yes, I was rolling my eyes. Please let's not further the ridiculous idea of the 'gentleman criminal'. This men, however cheekily charming he was with journalists, was involved in a violent robbery. He doesn't deserve admiration.

MrsLouisTheroux Wed 18-Dec-13 10:04:36

They are criminal, murdering thugs. Full stop.

NigellaLaw5on Wed 18-Dec-13 10:11:04

He wasn't as big a criminal as Nelson Mandela, a terrorist who killed civilians. Biggs gets vilified and Mandela is hailed as a man who only did good deeds, it's a strange world.

TheMuppetsSingChristmas Wed 18-Dec-13 10:11:19

The BBC must be squeezing themselves with pleasure at the timing though - their two part dramatisation of the robbery begins tonight! How much extra publicity and extra viewers are they likely to get because of his death?!

creighton Wed 18-Dec-13 10:39:56

yes nigella, nelson mandela was a criminal in the same way that Churchill was a criminal, fighting for freedom for masses of people. Ronnie biggs was a cheap, selfish thug committing crime for his own benefit

PoshPaula Wed 18-Dec-13 10:46:09

I do know the story, and Ronnie Biggs was no hero. The 'Great' Train Robbery was a selfish violent crime which caused an innocent man to lose his life. The way that the media is presenting this death is a sad indictment of our society, in my view. YANBU.

fluffyraggies Wed 18-Dec-13 10:50:35

I was all prickly about this on the BBC news this morning. I wondered if there would be a thread about this on MN. Hoped there would!

They spent far too long showing footage of RB being all cheeky chappy and the lovable rouge. In one interview he said he was perfectly happy to have been involved in the robbery as he enjoyed his notoriety.

I was very glad to see the BBC then spend time talking about the poor train driver who was coshed with an iron bar and never fully recovered from his injuries.

RB is/was no celebrity in my eyes. Just a thug.

MrsMoon76 Wed 18-Dec-13 10:56:10

NigellaLaw5on

Nelson Mandela may have committed some terrible crimes/been a terrorist/freedom fighter but he did his time. And once he did his time he set out to help and heal his country. what did RB do?

Trigglesx Wed 18-Dec-13 11:54:45

NigellaLaw5on seems to thrive on winding people up by posting controversial and sometimes unpleasant things on thread. Best to consider the source, really.

noddyholder Wed 18-Dec-13 11:57:49

I think since Princess Diana died and the furore that ensued the media have tried with everyone who dies to stir up some media grief hysteria to sell papers and recreate that 'feeling' I hate it.

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 18-Dec-13 11:59:57

He was a career criminal scumbag. This is absolutely no loss to society.

NigellasDealer Wed 18-Dec-13 12:00:14

possibly Ronnie Biggs is seen as being in the tradition of Robin Hood or Twm Sion Cati - ?

Pantah630 Wed 18-Dec-13 12:07:17

like Robin Hood?? I think they were a little more selfish than that! He's famous as the one that got away, sticking his fingers up. He could have done with a slap IMHO.

Our press print rubbish because it sells, in our "celebrity culture" vomits the masses want to read this rubbish. When it stops selling/being viewed online and the advertisers withdraw, they'll stop printing it.

NigellasDealer Wed 18-Dec-13 12:09:27

oh yes i agree but in 'the public mind' i think he is seen as a Robin Hood character, esp the 'fingers up' to British authority when he recorded with the Sex Pistols and boarded that Royal Navy ship.....

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 18-Dec-13 12:13:33

Oh the murderous scumbag has died has he? Whoop-de-doo. I can't think why he was ever allowed back to this country. What a disgusting human being he was making excuses and puffing endlessly about his glory days. His family must have been so ashamed; I feel sorry for them.

perlona Wed 18-Dec-13 12:19:02

It's sickening. Romanticising violence and criminal gangs should be illegal, it's promoting that behaviour as acceptable and demeaning the experience of victims. That fuels dangerous attitudes that have a massive effect on community behaviour, corporations spend billions on advertising every year for a reason, people mimic what they see.

NigellasDealer Wed 18-Dec-13 12:20:41

Romanticising violence and criminal gangs should be illegal
yes with some kind of special task force out there checking for it and making arrests. Definitely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now