ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To want to take a photo or two of my daughters in their nativity?

(119 Posts)

Just that really.

Text from school this morning to say photos and videos are banned.

Really annoyed as is dd2s first school nativity, and I've recorded the last 4 with dd1 in, no problem.

fhmm

VworpVworp Mon 16-Dec-13 23:31:41

Some children cannot have their photo taken for a number of reasons. People posting every picture they take to fb has a lot to answer for these decisions being made.

17leftfeet Mon 16-Dec-13 23:32:30

lots of schools do this but will generally get the children to pose after it's finished for parent's to take pictures of their own children, or will take photos which you can buy for a nominal amount

RedLondonBus Mon 16-Dec-13 23:32:38

Lots of schools now do this, not much you can do about it

clam Mon 16-Dec-13 23:33:24

Might not be as simple as posting on FB but there might be a child/children who are fleeing from an abusive parent whose whereabouts need to be kept private.

AlpacaPicnic Mon 16-Dec-13 23:33:44

Take the pictures at the end of the play, with them stood on the stage together.
It'll be better if not a wee bit posed because you won't have everyone else's heads in the way!

GobbySadcase Mon 16-Dec-13 23:35:15

Yes YABU as you could be putting a vulnerable child at risk.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Mon 16-Dec-13 23:35:54

I feel this will be banned at DD school soon, everyone was specifically told photos/ recording are for personal use and by the time I got home at least 10 parents had broke that rule.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Mon 16-Dec-13 23:36:18

And put it on Facebook

lilyaldrin Mon 16-Dec-13 23:37:10

There may be a child in her class who is at risk and needs to have their identity protected.

Maybe the school could do a photo call afterwards? That way there is a chance to remove any children who cannot be photographed.

jacks365 Mon 16-Dec-13 23:37:15

Friend of mine is a foster carer (short term) due to the circumstances behind a child she had the other year she couldn't take the child to a local carnival just in case the child inadvertently appeared on a photo. Sometimes things really are that difficult.

FruitbatAuntie Mon 16-Dec-13 23:39:08

There may well be a child (or several) at the school for whom having their photo published on FB etc. could be disastrous. Children in the care system, children whose relatives may be then able to identify them and locate them - children who need protecting, basically, from their whereabouts being known.

That may sound extreme to you. You may think that you know for certain that this doesn't apply at your school - but are you 100% certain of that? There have previously been cases where local papers have published school photos with awful consequences for families fleeing domestic violence, and I am sure sites like FB have caused similar issues too.

I know it's annoying when this doesn't apply to you, all you want is a memento of a lovely occasion. But you need to think about what could happen if everyone takes photos of a group of kids and puts them online for their extended families to see.

My DS's school tries to get round this by allowing parents to take a photo of their own child only, in their costume, at the end of the show. That seems fairly sensible I think. But I suppose how do you police it if someone decides to take pics of other kids too?

All very sensible responses and I know you are all right. Just feel a bit sad about it really sad

Pixel Mon 16-Dec-13 23:43:43

Ds had his school Christmas play on friday. We were told at the beginning that we were welcome to take photographs throughout, and that there would be an opportunity at the end to take a group photo of all the 'cast', as long as the pictures were for our own enjoyment and not posted on social media.

I love ds's school, they have buckets of common sense smile.

foreverondiet Mon 16-Dec-13 23:44:44

Photos in action of school shows never come out well anyway.

Take a photo of your child in costume at the end.

steppemum Mon 16-Dec-13 23:50:54

pixel, that is great and with ds class that is what we are told. But not for all classes. When Y2, 3 and 4 did a play, we were told very firmly that we mustn't take photos, as it puts some children at risk.

I happen to know because I once overheard a comment, that one of the children in these classes have a father who is forbidden to collect them and doesn't know where they are.

It isn't about your school being sensible, or common sense it is about stupid parents who stuck the class picture on fb and then a child LIFE is at risk.

Nanny0gg Mon 16-Dec-13 23:58:51

There is also nothing more annoying than parents bobbing up and down all the way through a play, taking photos of their precious ones.
Not to mention all the blasted flashes going off.

Much better for the school to film/take photos and maybe raise a bit of money towards the costumes.

Pixel Tue 17-Dec-13 00:12:50

No one was bobbing up and down at all hmm. And yes I agree it is the stupid people posting pictures online who have spoiled it for everyone.

CrohnicallySick Tue 17-Dec-13 07:07:51

Pixel- that is the policy our school has. Each parent must sign an agreement which says they won't post photos on the Internet etc etc.

The only thing is, it doesn't actually stop them doing it!

BatterseaGirl Tue 17-Dec-13 07:11:48

I've never really unde

Euphemia Tue 17-Dec-13 07:13:33

Schools usually allow parents to come forward and photograph their child at the end.

DD's old school was very enterprising and took photos of groups of the children before the dress rehearsal, and had them for sale before the actual performance! It was a good idea because you got a decent picture of your child, with a few of their chums from the show. It stopped endless flashes going off during the performance too.

BatterseaGirl Tue 17-Dec-13 07:15:53

I've never really understand why anyone would rather look through a small screen than actually watch it. Does anyone really watch it again - and it's never a very good film anyway with all those heads bobbing about. Can't you just take a photo at home in the costume?

MiaowTheCat Tue 17-Dec-13 07:19:57

I would bet if you asked the teacher quietly they'd at least compromise and let you grab your kids while still in costume for a couple of shots after the play's done. Most schools I've worked in that have had photography bans (either for children needing protection from estranged parents, or simply to stop that twat in the front row from standing up all the way through to extreme zoom in on his kid picking their nose as 3rd shepherd from the right) have put time aside at the end for parents to group together and take shots of various combinations of kids if consent's got from the other parents in the photo.

Monetbyhimself Tue 17-Dec-13 07:21:46

My Ex used to spend more time taking videos and photographs to post on bloody Facebook to prove what an amazing daddy he was, than he spent actually WATCHING the shows. Am so glad I no longer sit anywhere near him!

Artandco Tue 17-Dec-13 07:21:46

It's a shame. Many people used to take a film even if crappy as often only one parent could attend due to work so the other would view at home with child. I know when we have to go to shows/ events etc at nursery/ school we tend to take turns who takes time off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now