To be furious about this, and should I report?

(80 Posts)
DoYouLikeMyBaubles Mon 16-Dec-13 21:15:04

My job involves going into homes and sometimes schools.

Today the yr11's had to pay a pound to go to the show taking part in the afternoon (i believe its a talent show, some awards etc)

One lad in the group said he couldn't pay a pound. The teacher kept asking him why, and said have you got a pound?

He said yes, but it's for his dinner tomorrow.

Now it's pretty obvious the lad doesnt look well off, from his clothing etc.

Yet the teacher carried on in front of the whole class saying 'why cant you spare a pound. It's JUST a pound, stop being selfish' and kids in the class started joining in.

The boy looked so uncomfortable, it was heartbreaking. In the end he gave the pound.

Afterwards I had a word with the teacher, who still had the view that the boy was being selfish.

Was I unreasonable, and should I report it? Or would I be being silly?

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Mon 16-Dec-13 21:23:08

Right I shall go in tomorrow. I won't be able to sleep otherwise.

I hope he has a lunch pass sad

NatashaBee Mon 16-Dec-13 21:23:17

That's shocking sad Yes, you should definitely report it. How awful.

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Mon 16-Dec-13 21:23:48

Report. In writing. Ask for a response in writing within X amount of time and CC in relevant superiors

Thankyou, will do just that.

Thanks for the input everyone.

phantomnamechanger Mon 16-Dec-13 21:24:12

I'd like to think the teacher knew the student, his family circumstances, and that he was just trying it on, and that this was just friendly banter, but it does not sound like it. sad

thecatfromjapan Mon 16-Dec-13 21:24:12

Report it.

Twoandtwomakeschaos Mon 16-Dec-13 21:24:23

I'd report and slip him a pound.

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Mon 16-Dec-13 21:24:42

In similar circumstances, I would have found a way to find one of my students the money - perhaps for helping me either an easy errand (not being made to earn it in a punishment/I'm better the. You kind of way, though). Many of my colleagues would do something similar.

YANBU.

brettgirl2 Mon 16-Dec-13 21:24:48

I'm just trying to be fair, the op has not met any of these people before. Perhaps he is just known for being tight and having a bit of a laugh? I don't believe a teacher would make him hand it over if he couldn't.

WireCatGlitteryBaubles Mon 16-Dec-13 21:25:22

Report it.

I had no money as a teen at high school. If my free school meals ran out then I may have had some.

I'd have felt even crapper than normal.

She was not at all professional & IMO may have started a bullying campaign.

minimalisthoarder Mon 16-Dec-13 21:25:24

Sounds like bullying to me. Report it - if the teacher genuinely hasn't done anything wrong, it'll soon be found out.

Straitjacket Mon 16-Dec-13 21:25:28

Definitely report! That poor boy sad

MatryoshkaDoll Mon 16-Dec-13 21:25:42

Report. Even if he had a hundred pounds in loose change he was under no obligation to part with any of it just because the teacher demanded it.

Sounds like an awful situation. The poor boy. It's really good he's got someone like you in his corner.

brettgirl2 Mon 16-Dec-13 21:27:40

I used to teach and honestly ime those who could least afford it parted with cash for charity most readily sad .

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Mon 16-Dec-13 21:30:14

brettgirl I have met both the teacher and the boy before. And his younger brother.

hoobypickypicky Mon 16-Dec-13 21:30:34

Please report, put it in writing and demand a written reply. That's awful OP. sad

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Mon 16-Dec-13 21:31:56

two I did feel like giving him some money then remembered how proud I was at his age and didn't want to embarrass him further. Arrgh I should have given him some.

Chippednailvarnish Mon 16-Dec-13 21:32:02

The issue isn't if he could afford to give the pound. The issue is the bullying attitude of the teacher...

wongadotmom Mon 16-Dec-13 21:32:43

Yes report the bully.
Evil prevails when good people do nothing.

ChrisMooseMickey Mon 16-Dec-13 21:34:49

Thats so awful sad definately report it!!

brettgirl2 Mon 16-Dec-13 21:35:06

so you report.

all I'm saying is when I was a year 11 tutor two of the poorest kids would hand over their pound first.

brettgirl2 Mon 16-Dec-13 21:35:50

and they were also the smartest dressed

Mim78 Mon 16-Dec-13 21:41:01

Report it, definitely.

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 16-Dec-13 21:46:59

Brett reading between the lines the op is professionally involved with this boy and knows the situation well enough to judge. And even if he was being tight the response should be "see me at break" to discuss the mater without an audience or "ok, you'll miss out then". Not humiliation.

Report it op

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Mon 16-Dec-13 21:49:12

Yes mines is right, I didn't want to go into too much detail in the OP

DejaVuAllOverAgain Mon 16-Dec-13 21:49:13

brettgirl2 if the boy had been the son of a millionaire the teacher had no right to humiliate him like that. Encouraging the other children to join in is bullying pure and simple.

YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now