Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU, the miltery awards on ITV

(253 Posts)
RoseRedder Mon 16-Dec-13 21:01:47

AIBU?

I think this is wrong

The 'wars' these men/women have been in are all made up wars by the UK and USA government

And now there is a tv programme giving them celebrity status

I don't doubt the people of will be nominated will have gone out their way to aid their colleagues

But turning war into a tv programme is beyond sick

fruitpastille Mon 16-Dec-13 21:24:14

I think it would be more appropriate to give a military award than a tacky itv one.

LtEveDallas Mon 16-Dec-13 21:25:47

Oh and they dont get celebrity status - do you know the names of last years 'winners'?

They'll be back at work the next day having the piss ripped out of them by their mates. They mean nothing except (generally) to the family of the recipients. They come with no money/status/medal/standing.

They are nothing to do with the government, and they are not the result of Iraq or Afghanistan.

RoseRedder Mon 16-Dec-13 21:27:41

what was it David Cameron said today

'Mission Accomplished'

DeckTheHallsWithBoughsOfHorry Mon 16-Dec-13 21:32:23

It's a shitty programme because it's an excuse for some slebs to have yet another posh dinner at someone else's expense and pretend they give a shiny shit about Our Heroes being wheeled out and given a token award to assuage their guilt about the devastation our government wreaks on the world by its policies and the men and women we have to send out (risking life and limb) to clear up the mess.

/rant

ConferencePear Mon 16-Dec-13 21:32:46

Good to see the spirit of goodwill to all has started early this Christmas.

formerbabe Mon 16-Dec-13 21:36:40

I am not watching it because I imagine its like the pride of Britain awards. I dislike seeing the z list celebs there trying to look emotional/sincere/moved. Fair play to the rest of it.

meditrina Mon 16-Dec-13 21:37:15

"I don't agree with government sponpership wars"

Who, other than the Government, should have the authority to commit British forces to operations, then?

And if you don't want a war-mongering government, don't vote for it. Though I suppose no-one would have predicted how bellicose Blair et al would be before their first foray.

halestone Mon 16-Dec-13 21:38:11

Wow not being a good at spelling doesn't make you a bad person. But your OP paints you to be a pretty horrible person. If you don't like it turn it over don't make a thread about these awards giving soldiers 'celebrity status'

I take it you also object when police officers or fire fighters receive awards for something they have done in the line of duty.

These soldiers are receiving awards for going above and beyond what is expected of them. I'm proud of the fact that there are people like them in this world!

RoseRedder Mon 16-Dec-13 21:39:32

The war in kuwait happened under Thatcher

Mitchy1nge Mon 16-Dec-13 21:41:17

what, the gulf war? thatcher? really?

ItsAliveItsElectric Mon 16-Dec-13 21:42:08

They are doing a job. As a pp has said, they don't get a say in where they are sent. Some, like my brother, signed up as he left school with no qualifications and he has made a career in the army. They have seen some horrific things, he won't even tell me or my mum as it's too traumatic. They don't see themselves as heroes, to them they are doing a job. I'd rather see real people getting recognised than bloody brainless 'celebrities' any day.

Mitchy1nge Mon 16-Dec-13 21:42:16

am pretty sure she was out of power by then

LtEveDallas Mon 16-Dec-13 21:43:20

Are you talking about Operation Granby (UK - was Desert Storm to the US) that was Jan 90 I believe?

Why was that a 'made up war' then? Do tell.

AmeliaToppingLovesShopping Mon 16-Dec-13 21:44:26

This is why we need to fight terrorism!

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/10375633/Malala-Yousafzai-recounts-moment-she-was-shot-in-the-head-by-Taliban.html

Malala Yousafzai is a truly inspirational young woman and it is because of people like her that we need to fight the Taliban. They are unable to protect themselves so we must try instead.

Mitchy1nge Mon 16-Dec-13 21:44:45

PLEASE tell what sort of wars are not 'made up', what does it mean? that they are factual wars? please explain

LtEveDallas Mon 16-Dec-13 21:44:59

Typo, Jan 91, not 90. Thought Thatcher was gone by the ?

Salmotrutta Mon 16-Dec-13 21:46:09

It happened under John Major the first Iraq invasion.

Salmotrutta Mon 16-Dec-13 21:47:25

I remember being worried that my brother might join up and end up there!

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 16-Dec-13 21:48:18

They had Amy and joey from I'm celeb presenting.
It's a Sun ceremony for the z list to raise their profile. I doubt the awardees give a shit, they're doing their job but I also think acts of courage shouldn't be celebrated in a ceremony so naff.

RoseRedder Mon 16-Dec-13 21:48:48

@halestone Wow not being a good at spelling doesn't make you a bad person. But your OP paints you to be a pretty horrible person

No it does not, I do not believe in glorifying war

Sorry if that upsets you but glorfiying war upsets me

I think the men and women that join up to the armed forces do in with good intentions

Mitchy1nge Mon 16-Dec-13 21:50:40

I'm in the miltery, get me out of here, I never signed up for no made up war in a tanning salon in Essex sad

TheNightIsDark Mon 16-Dec-13 21:50:47

If it highlights to people the jobs which the armed forces carry out and the help that they give then I wouldn't care if they had the orange one handing out awards in the raw if meant people stopped imagining murder hungry gun toting thugs rampaging through Iraq for glory.

Salmotrutta Mon 16-Dec-13 21:51:00

I doubt that an award programme is actually glorifying war.

It sounds like it's recognising sacrifice/heroism etc.

(I'm not watching though so I'm not sure obviously)

RoseRedder Mon 16-Dec-13 21:52:46

sorry Thatcher was the Falklands

LtEveDallas Mon 16-Dec-13 21:53:26

Op GRANBY started in Aug/Sep 90. I remember that because my then soldier boyfriend started preparing to go out, and I was in basic training writing 'Blueys' to him. I tried to be posted to his unit, but ended up in. Northern Ireland instead (which turned out to be more bloody dangerous!)

I think the US then 'took over' and the ground war became known as Desert Storm. That would have been 1991.

Thatcher left (or was pushed!) in Nov 90 I think, and Major took over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now