D+V 48 hour rule and traveling on a plane and train?

(32 Posts)
bluecheeseforbreakfast Mon 16-Dec-13 19:05:01

Ds (11 months) has his 1st tummy bug. We are due to fly to the UK in 48 hours.

The flight is 2 hours and the train journy once we get to the UK is 4 hours.

Ds was sick for the last time yesterday morning but he has been having diarrhea and has a fever and is not his usual self today.

Is the 48 hour rule 48 hours after poo becomes firm again or is it only vomiting?

WWYD? If it was a case of should I take ds to playgroup I would er on the side of caution but it is a big trip, we can't afford to fly later and we won't have any Christmas plans if we don't go, but I don't want to give all the other passengers the christmas gift of d+v.

ProudAS Tue 17-Dec-13 10:16:02

NHS advice is for adults to stay at home for 48 hours but most workplaces have other ideas and DCs can't be kept off school because parent been throwing up and nobody else to take them.

Where I work people tend to go in due to lack of sick pay and threat of redundancy but cleaning desks afterwards and not touching other people's food seems to stop it spreading. IMO infection control measures should be proportional to the risk and it doesn't take a genius to work out that risks are far greater for a toddler attending nursery than for an adult office worker.

I think its a case of the NHS worrying about getting sued and concerns about people understanding advice which is slightly complex. A few years ago they started advising women to completely avoid alcohol during pregnancy - not because of evidence that one unit a week would harm the baby but because some people don't know what a unit is.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 17-Dec-13 10:54:05

My DD' school only has a 24 hour rule not 48. I certainly wouldn't cancel my trip in your circs just be as careful as you can hygiene wise.

devilinside Tue 17-Dec-13 12:03:20

If your baby has D they will be contagious, faecal/oral route is the main route of transmission, I would keep the baby well away from other passengers

BlueStones Tue 17-Dec-13 12:17:38

t's D&V not bubonic plague.

D & V can kill people in extreme cases. At the very least you will ruin another family's Christmas if he does pass it on. I have only just recovered from a horrendous bout and I have never felt so ill in my life.

ProudAS Tue 17-Dec-13 12:20:05

Don't worry too much - you'll be the one changing nappies just as you would at home. Sending him to nursery would be a different matter.

MistyB Tue 17-Dec-13 12:25:47

Information here. Virus passed from physical, soap and water is best for washing.

CrohnicallySick Tue 17-Dec-13 21:16:55

Blue cheese- I would usually take 24 hours off after the last bout of V. Unlike with children, I can be sure that I'm not going to suddenly vomit again after being clear for 20 odd hours (if I was to vomit, I would have warning and be able to go to the bathroom). I also make sure that I am eating normally before returning to work to avoid the scenario that Finally mentioned!

I ignore the ruling when it comes to D, simply because the last stomach bug I had left me having episodes of D for over a week. I spoke to the doctor who tested my stool and it was clear. The consensus was that as I have Crohn's, a D and V bug will leave my system feeling sensitive long after the actual bug has gone, therefore no 48 hour rule needed, so long as I feel well and follow good hygiene (and can make it to the toilet in time!) there is no need for me to be off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now