Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think the window salesman was in the wrong here, and not me?

(62 Posts)
parakeet Mon 16-Dec-13 18:44:13

Yet another thread about door-to-door salespeople I'm afraid.

I got a ring on the doorbell while I was in the middle of making the children's tea and went to answer it. The guy said (very politely, to be fair) "Hello, sorry to bother you on this dark and rainy night but I'm from Anglia Home Improvements and..." At this point I interrupted so we didn't waste each others' time further and said (also politely) "I'm sorry but I don't buy at the door."

It was like a switch had been flicked. He spun on his heel and left, shouting (grumpily) over his shoulder "Well put a sign on your door then!"

He made it sound like I was at fault for wasting his time by failing to put a sign up saying No cold callers, etc. I am seriously thinking of trying to buy a sign now, though, so he certainly made his point...

MardyBra Mon 16-Dec-13 18:47:54

Yanbu. As I pointed out on a thread a couple of weeks ago, why should I spoil the look of my lovely front door by putting an fucking ugly sign on. In fact, the one which someone linked to, was sexist and ungrammatical.

Maybe, door-to-door sales should be made illegal.

Or you could have something like the Telephone Preference Service via the internet, listing all the houses who are not happy for cold calls. Then the onus would be on the sellers to check if you are happy to be disturbed.

Squidwardtenticles Mon 16-Dec-13 18:50:13

the worst for this are charity collectors. Zits getting beyond a joke with them.

Squidwardtenticles Mon 16-Dec-13 18:50:39

It's! bloody autocorrect.

Perfectlypurple Mon 16-Dec-13 18:51:54

Get a no cold caller sign from your local police station. It won't cost you anything.

whereisshe Mon 16-Dec-13 18:52:06

YANBU. I sincerely doubt everyone without a sign is happy to chat to him! He was probably having a bad night. No excuse for rudeness but understandable given the weather.

parakeet Mon 16-Dec-13 18:53:43

Hmm, well if it worked as well as the telephone preference service...it wouldn't work very well...

momentofmadness0 Mon 16-Dec-13 18:54:36

YANBU. You don't need to buy a sign though, you can print one off from moneysavingexpert.com

parakeet Mon 16-Dec-13 18:55:27

I do feel sorry for these people, which is why I try to say no in a polite way - unless they ask me if I am the homeowner or something equally cheeky.

nancerama Mon 16-Dec-13 19:03:14

Probably the same cheeky toad that told me that my original Victorian sashes were letting down my property shock

starofbethlehemfishmummy Mon 16-Dec-13 19:20:46

We used to have a sign on the door (have since changed the door) and salesmen would still knock, tell me they had seen the sign and then go on at great length abojt how it didn't apply to them (because they were so wonderful and not actually selling anything)

Dillydollydaydream Mon 16-Dec-13 19:26:26

YANBU at all. We have a sign stating no cold callers. Does nothing unfortunately.
They do always seem to call between 4.30 and 7pm too which in my house with 4 young dcs is not really the best time.

I also keep getting betterware/kleeneeze catalogues through the door, I always put them straight back out but the buggers never return to collect them!

Ifcatshadthumbs Mon 16-Dec-13 19:26:40

For window/conservatory salesmen "oh sorry it's a rented property"

For chuggers and rehabilitated ex prisoners selling exceptionally expensive dish cloths "sorry I'm only the babysitter"

FreeWee Mon 16-Dec-13 19:28:44

Neighbourhood Watch do a no cold callers sign in my area certainly. Makes little difference and my DH won't let me point it out to people as he thinks that would be rude of me...

purplemurple1 Mon 16-Dec-13 19:39:31

Get a loud dog - much more effect than a sign by the sounds of it. We see cold callers but they never make it to the door.

Yanbu

SantasSisterdoesallthepresents Mon 16-Dec-13 19:45:42

For Jehovah's Witnesses, say, "No thanks, I am a Catholic" - apparently they don't try to convert Catholics.

Rufustherednosedreindeer Mon 16-Dec-13 19:48:23

santas that always worked with my mum

We always used to invite them in for a cup of tea and a chat, haven't had any round for years now hmm

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 16-Dec-13 20:18:34

JWs do try to convert catholics. And blood donators. I eventually shut my door in their faces.

crazykat England Mon 16-Dec-13 20:34:59

The signs don't make a difference here. We even get people wanting to come in, take photos of the dcs and enter them in a competition! As if I'm going to let someone who knocks on my door that i don't know not only into my home but to take pictures of my dcs. Apparently its legit and the photos are lovely but not a chance am I agreeing to it.

There's a few times I've been asked if my mum's in, i do look younger than 25 but still. Not sure if its sincere or not but I just say sorry no.

MiaowTheCat Mon 16-Dec-13 20:38:22

I had problems with Anglia being rude as well - and they opened with "I can see you've got a sign on your door sweetheart but..."

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Mon 16-Dec-13 20:59:01

YANBU

But I feel sorry for them because my friend did it and made next to nothing.

I'm Catholic and I donate blood. The JW's came round every monday to try to convert me. I was very clear that I was staying Catholic, but she came round anyway. She was very polite and DS liked babbling at her and showing her his toy record player so I didn't mind tbh.

I hate cold callers though, they are not polite and always come round when your bathing DC's, cooking or at bed time, never at 10.30 in the morning when you're not busy. I pre empt their rudeness now by shutting the door on them, or just not answering it in the first place.

RenterNomad Mon 16-Dec-13 21:11:00

fgrin at Exceptionally Expensive Dishcloths.

Sounds like an M& S ad!

Rufustherednosedreindeer Mon 16-Dec-13 21:40:49

When I had a sign I had a few instances where the door bell would go and there was no one there

I worked out that people rang the bell, caught a glimpse of the sign and bolted before I could have a go at them

mumofboyo Mon 16-Dec-13 21:46:55

If people knock on our door, especially the front door, I don't answer unless they knock again; even then I check the peephole first. Family/friends come to the side door and just come in (or ring if it's locked). I can't be arsed with cold callers trying to sell me crap I don't want or JWs trying to convert me but neither do I like being rude to their faces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now