To not buy presents for OH's family

(29 Posts)
Tulip26 Mon 16-Dec-13 13:34:26

OH's sister has just messaged him on facebook to tell him exactly what she wants me to buy her. In eighteen months of dating I've only met his family once as they live at the other end of the country.

He knows mine quite well as they live local to us but I would never dream of asking him to buy presents for them as there are too many of us, and who can afford it? I've made jars of jam for him to take as a token gift for his family as it's something that requires time and care rather than money.

I may be over reacting as I've just been in a car accident this morning and haven't told OH yet but it's really put things in perspective.

Iris445 Mon 16-Dec-13 18:32:35

My DH did this, extravagant gift lists (£100 gifts each.)

Took me one year to nip it in the bud. They get what we buy them. We don't spend that much on each other and I don't need piles of tat.
They hate me obviously.

I just said we did our shopping early, sorry.

Kundry Mon 16-Dec-13 18:39:43

I'd suggest you either make sure your OH has bought something of the list and then say it's from both of you or email back saying 'Oh, I hadn't realized we were doing presents. I hope you haven't got me anything?'

She sounds v grabby seeing as you've only met her once.

Tulip26 Tue 17-Dec-13 11:14:01

She's 38. OH is going to buy the gift for her himself. She wants a make up bag of some description. I would have gone to Poundland :D

At £300 to get the car fixed, everyone I am buying for is lucky I finished my shopping. Thanks for the advice MN. Can't help but wonder what she's bought for me now!

liquidstate Tue 17-Dec-13 12:43:19

Even before I was married I bought presents for my family, DH bought for his. I did receive some small presents from but then DH did buy presents for their other halves so it all balanced out.

So glad you were not hurt, I was rear ended in march and I still suffer from the whiplash injury.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now