Things I only ever see on Mumsnet and never in RL

(537 Posts)
HankyScore Mon 16-Dec-13 10:18:01

Wedding gift lists angst. I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where there wasn't a list. It's normal.

Parents who never have even a sniff of booze when their kids are in the house, and the angst over 'what if I need to drive them to hospital?'. Perhaps everyone I know is a raging alky, but it's just never come up as an issue.

Old ladies on the bus having a pop about breastfeeding/children/the yoof of today. Has never happened to me in all my eleven years of parenting. I only ever meet nice people on public transport. Perhaps I am just incredibly thick skinned and don't notice the judgy stares?

People giving much of a shit over BF/FF, or at least not once they are past their own days of feeding a baby.

There is more.

I'm off to think of some.

SatinSandals Tue 17-Dec-13 22:24:30

I am still bemused by the New Year's Eve party described where everyone was in best party dress and slippers! Never once have I been to a party with slippers!

squoosh Tue 17-Dec-13 22:29:53

Me too Satin, I still snort in disbelief that a party full of people would get tarted up in all their finery and then be more than happy to switch into ugly old slippers once they'd arrived.

SatinSandals Tue 17-Dec-13 22:32:09

Even taking off shoes in glad rags is odd. My party trousers are too long without shoes, I would trip over them.

SatinSandals Tue 17-Dec-13 22:34:18

Another thing that I have never seen is a child with all wooden toys. I have never know any without any plastic. I also refuse to call Lego 'plastic tat'!

SinisterBuggyMonth Tue 17-Dec-13 22:51:55

Mooncups

Seriously I had no idea these existed. No one in RL mentions them. I've never seen them sold anywhere.

In fact I'm starting to wonder if it's a mumsnet wind up

HanneHolm Tue 17-Dec-13 22:57:28

People who shop in debenhams. Only on mumsnet.

monicalewinski Tue 17-Dec-13 23:08:22

Mooncups - MN windup. Lol!

I think you're onto something Sinister grin.

Heartbrokenmum73 Tue 17-Dec-13 23:11:47

Nah, Boots sell Mooncups. And another brand too - yes, there are two of them out there!

They're right on the bottom shelf of all the sanitary stuff. I've seen them for years. Had no idea what they were, only that they cost £20 and my tampons cost about £1, so no brainer for me.

<Bought DD some winter boots in Debenhams sale recently blush but only because it was that or shitty ones from Shoezone that would fall apart in a week>

monicalewinski Tue 17-Dec-13 23:17:35

How long did it take for your virginity to grow back btw Heart? I fancy being pure again - apparently you can sell it on eBay nowadays (v modern)! blush

Good luck with the driving after Xmas too fsmile

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 17-Dec-13 23:56:40

What is wrong with Debenhams? It's theory department store in our town. I am a regular.

Also, what is a maintenance wash?

(Learning lots on here)

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 17-Dec-13 23:57:22

Theory? The only. Stupid phone

ArgyMargy Tue 17-Dec-13 23:59:17

Triggering

monicalewinski Wed 18-Dec-13 00:41:18
Crowler Wed 18-Dec-13 07:13:29

I would be displeased if I had to take my shoes off at a party. I normally wear tights with enormous wooly socks and high heeled boots in the winter so I'd look like a knob.

SatinSandals Wed 18-Dec-13 07:21:55

I shall look for a moon cup today- my education is lacking, never having seen one. (What is wrong with Debenhams?)

friday16 Wed 18-Dec-13 23:31:58

People who think that travelling by train is a major adventure requiring planning on a scale akin to conducting an amphibious landing against a well-defended French coast for (a) teenagers and (b) adults.

ComposHat Thu 19-Dec-13 02:31:12

Getting children into a certain school and being prepared to commit all sorts of fraud to do so and then reacting with something approaching deep mourning when their offspring doesn't get into said school

Pretty much everyone I know just send their kids to the local school and none of them seem any the worse for it.

AlaskaNebraska Thu 19-Dec-13 06:43:57

People worrying about silicone build up.

SatinSandals Thu 19-Dec-13 07:44:54

Added to the train 'adventure' people who think that you can't possibly put a 14 yr old on a train and let them be met at the other end, when there are no changes.

friday16 Thu 19-Dec-13 07:54:36

People whose objection to rail travel is that teenagers get murdered all the time, and you might get murdered on the train.

SatinSandals Thu 19-Dec-13 08:02:45

Or they will be abducted from a crowded train, or get off at the wrong stop, or the person won't meet them, or they will not find the person meeting them, or the train will break down for 3 hours and although they have a mobile phone they won't have the gumption to use it!
There was a huge fuss about a woman who sent her 14 yr old off on a train, with a change of stations in London without a mobile. After pages of doom and gloom she was able to report 'he arrived safe and sound, according to plan and it had done wonders for his self esteem'! The reaction , of course, was that 'she was lucky to get away with it this time'. I expect she was so fed up that she didn't bother to point out he was doing a return journey!

monicalewinski Thu 19-Dec-13 09:11:03

Alaska, what's silicone build up? And why should I be worrying about it?

There's so much I don't know!!

BigChocolateOrange Thu 19-Dec-13 09:43:11

I'm also concerned about silicone build up now.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Thu 19-Dec-13 10:16:44

So, how often are you meant to do a maintenance wash? are you also meant to wash your clothes horse?

DeckTheHallsWithBoughsOfHorry Thu 19-Dec-13 10:18:46

I do a maintenance wash monthly in both dishwasher and washing machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now