Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Some f**king old bag

(247 Posts)
Mummasmurf Sun 15-Dec-13 17:31:25

Is it me?

We moved towns in July and started going to the local church. I joined the choir in November (half of which can't sing). A few weeks ago one of the old bags shouted loudly that she wished my DD would stop running round. I glared at her. The "running round" was that she went to the back of the church and came back to tell the choir master it sounded "beautiful".

Tonight we were at a Christingle service (a kids service basically) and she loudly had a go again cos the DD stood up to have a look at the goings on.

I'm really pissed off at her and now I don't know whether I should bother going back. The other women said she was out of order and don't let it get to me. It's just that when it's your kids someone's having a go at it's worse than if she was having a go at me.

stickysausages Sun 15-Dec-13 17:49:54

Sorry, have a christingle one instead fbiscuit

usualsuspect Sun 15-Dec-13 17:50:11

Yeah the vicar might ban all the old bags.

But I agree that you need to be a little more tactful. Turn the other cheek and all that!

carabos Sun 15-Dec-13 17:50:20

Peace on earth and goodwill to all fucking old bags who can't sing men. How very Christian of you OP.

Catsize Sun 15-Dec-13 17:50:28

It all sounds very Christian and tolerant in this season of goodwill to all bags.

Chippednailvarnish Sun 15-Dec-13 17:51:52

It's most certainly you. And I bet she and a fair few of the choir and congregation can't wait to see the back of you.

Salmotrutta Sun 15-Dec-13 17:53:00

I'm an old bag too.

Comes to us all eventually... sad

usualsuspect Sun 15-Dec-13 17:53:23

Oh little choir of fucking old bags
How much you moan at kids
You cannot sing a fucking note
So stop with that awful din.

Salmotrutta Sun 15-Dec-13 17:54:37

Lol!

Tinks42 Sun 15-Dec-13 17:54:42

Im the "old bag" well not literally, I work with young children and they should still be taught when to and when not to run around, a restaurant no matter how "child friendly" and a church for god sake grin

That is not what I meant, Usual...

The Vicar might well be best placed to avoid a confrontation. It would be a shame if insults were traded and there was a lot of bad feeling. A well run church should be able to consider the needs of all the congregation.

RunRunRuby Sun 15-Dec-13 17:56:01

She sounds a bit rude but so do you, from your OP. When your daughter stood up was she blocking other people from seeing? Because I would find that irritating. I try to be tolerant of children in church but some of the ones at ours are very loud throughout the service. However I don't write them all off as little brats just because a few are badly behaved. No need to be rude about all of the older ladies just because one was a bit rude to you!

JodieGarberJacob Sun 15-Dec-13 17:56:56

It's ridiculous that we still allow old people to have opinions let alone voice them. I think if you are a woman over 60 and are not tolerant of annoying children then you should be put down immediately.

stooshe Sun 15-Dec-13 17:57:30

Now I know why going to church is not a great indicator of Christianity.
"half of them can't sing". "old bag". OP, maybe you need to go somewhere where you don't look down on people and where your talents will better shine? I know how frustrating it can be when one feels that they are being held back.
Be an example to your child. Show her that women can reach for the stars and do NOT have to slum it in order to seem pleasant and inclusive.
Personally, I wouldn't mind a return to real divas in the pop world. Mariah is the last one standing and she can't do it on her own.

formerbabe Sun 15-Dec-13 17:57:55

I agree with you op...she does sound like an old bag...what a nasty reaction to a child.

Nanny0gg England Sun 15-Dec-13 17:58:26

So, you're the 'newcomer' and you want it all to run your way, rather than fitting in now and maybe changing attitudes over time?

Way to go with that one.

ReluctantBeing Sun 15-Dec-13 17:59:16

Your child was running and disrupting a choir practice. Your child stood up in a church service. What a little bag she is.

JanineStHubbins Sun 15-Dec-13 18:00:09

Is this the same DD that you feel should get three birthday presents from all your friends with three DCs, otherwise it's not fair?

HairyGrotter Sun 15-Dec-13 18:00:36

Ahaha oh Christians, you are a fucking riot confused

formerbabe Sun 15-Dec-13 18:01:00

A child is innocent and still learning...so what she stood up to have a look. The 'old bag' sounds like a nasty, hypocritical piece of work.

Nocomet Sun 15-Dec-13 18:01:16

There is always one.
We have a very prickly retired teacher. She works incredibly hard for the church and as does her DH (he's also an ex teacher)

Her DH is lovely and I've heard him contradict her totally after she's sniped at DD1.

How on Gods green earth they remain married, heaven knows.

Certainly if we didn't all like and respect him, we would have told her to fuck off.

theeverydaydancer Sun 15-Dec-13 18:01:24

Tell her old age is no excuse to be rude and remind her that she was a kid once too.

Salmotrutta Sun 15-Dec-13 18:02:36

stooshe - was your tongue firmly in your cheek when you wrote the latter part of your post?

I hope so... Love a bit of sarcasm I do grin

usualsuspect Sun 15-Dec-13 18:03:03

All this swearing in church is a bit shock

Salmotrutta Sun 15-Dec-13 18:04:11

Nasty and hypocritical for asking a child to sit down formerbabe?

How so?

Are you a friend of the OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now