To wonder why people increasingly refer to places not in London as 'in London'

(519 Posts)
redpipe Sun 15-Dec-13 11:23:07

I genuinely don't understand why people say they live in London when in fact they live in a town within the M25.
Croydon is not in London is it? Nor is Kingston. I never remember people referring to these towns as London years ago. Is this a new thing?

Canthaveitall Sun 15-Dec-13 11:41:57

I agree with you but I think some people go by the borough or just like the whole 'I live in London don't you know' thing.

AnnBryce Sun 15-Dec-13 11:42:02

I reckon f you've grown up in those areas it would be alien to say you live in London, you just don't. People would think you're a nob.

Obviously I meant "SE, SW, EC etc"

hardboiledpossum Sun 15-Dec-13 11:42:44

My postcode is tw, I still feel like I live in London. I definitely don't feel like I live in surrey.

Lovecat Sun 15-Dec-13 11:42:53

By postcode, I live in Essex. Geographically I'm about 300 yards from the North Circular, which is the boundary between us and East London. I tend to say East London to people I don't intend to have a lifelong friendship with, as saying Essex gives the impression I live miles out, whereas East London locates me more accurately.

When I lived on the Wirral I used to tell strangers Liverpool because back then people had never heard of the Wirral (which seems to have lost its 'The' these days). It's just easier.

I do think saying Croydon is London is a bit mental though. Like saying Romford is (it's in a Greater London borough so theoretically it is, but it really, really isn't...)

AnnBryce Sun 15-Dec-13 11:43:59

Yes! When did Bromley become an extension of Croydon?!?

I treat Croydon the same as Romford as well Lovecat

TheXxed Sun 15-Dec-13 11:44:58

I remember a girl at university saying she lived in '*greater Lindon*' I asked her where exactly as I also live in greater London (zone 3).

When she said Chelmsford I will admit I gave her a side eye look. There is nothing wrong with being from Essex. Dressing it up as something its not is weird.

Trills Sun 15-Dec-13 11:45:28

The problem here is the lack of distinction between "London the city" and "Greater London the area".

It's as if there were a town called "East Anglia" or a town called "Kent" - people would say they lived in them and you wouldn't know if they meant the city or the larger area.

lovelongwalks Sun 15-Dec-13 11:47:04

I have to take details of addresses at work. Many of these places come under Greater London

AnnBryce Sun 15-Dec-13 11:47:25

Then again you do get a nice red bus in Sutton, Croydon etc, perhaps they're right after all!

hardboiledpossum Sun 15-Dec-13 11:47:56

Ann I'm pretty certain all of my neighbours would tell you they live in London, not surrey.

AnnBryce Sun 15-Dec-13 11:48:40

They may come under Greater London but it's generally accepted that you say you're in Surrey. It's a local thing only locals really know.

neunundneunzigluftballons Sun 15-Dec-13 11:48:59

We don't get too much of this in Ireland because it is the opposite, daring to suggest someone from Meath is from Dublin even though it is the next parish over is the equivalent of walking up to them with a dead fish and slapping them in the face. Our county lines never change either. You need to get yourselves an equivalent of the GAA it would solve the problem. :-).

redpipe Sun 15-Dec-13 11:49:23

What I find odd is it's only certain places in the Kent, surrey areas (which are also part of a London Borough) where people say they live in London.
I have never heard someone from Petts wood or Orpington state anything other than they live in Kent.

TidyDancer Sun 15-Dec-13 11:49:40

I can think if a couple of examples that annoy me. The Harry Potter experience is in Watford. Which is in Hertfordshire. Not in London. And Stansted and Luton airports are also not in London.

When were talking about boroughs, it does get a bit foggy I think. I understand people getting confused but to deliberately say you live in London when you know you don't is a bit wanky isn't it?

ComposHat Sun 15-Dec-13 11:50:01

As far as I am concerned anyone inside the M25 is a cockney.

There are only three types of southerners: i)cockney (inside M25) ii)posh sods('home' counties) and straw chewing inbred yokels(south west)

AnnBryce Sun 15-Dec-13 11:50:04

Sorry x post - tw is like Richmond, pretty close in I'd say. I'm talking about Sutton, Croydon, Morden.

TidyDancer Sun 15-Dec-13 11:50:09

think of not if

VivaLeBeaver Sun 15-Dec-13 11:50:54

As a northerner I'd have thought both Richmond and probably Croydon were in London. I've been to both, Richmond on the tube! I admit Croydon is maybe pushing it as I had to go on the train from kings x
But it was only 20mins from there.

whereiseveryone Sun 15-Dec-13 11:51:04

I've got a friend who does this.

She can't help it though cos she's from oop north (and not quite with the program). I just nod and agree now.

AnnBryce Sun 15-Dec-13 11:51:48

And LGW, London Gatwick is nearer to Brighton in Sussex!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 15-Dec-13 11:52:31

And I haven't heard of places like Sutton or lewisham so if someone to,d me they lived there I wouldn't have a clue. Could be on the outskirts of Liverpool for all I know so London is probably more helpful.

redpipe Sun 15-Dec-13 11:53:16

But airports use the term 'London' as in serving London not in London.

Croydon, Kingston Bromley and lots of other places that used to be towns just outside London became part of London Boroughs (so part of London) in 1965 when London was extended. Apart from a couple of towns that transferred back, the areas ceased to be part of the counties they used to be in. Some people consider themselves as still living in a county outside London, but in terms of local government, voting for the London mayor etc they are part of London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now