To ask for time off work to see dd in the school play?

(15 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Tue 10-Dec-13 23:49:14

I just wanted to gauge the general consensus. Dd has her school play on Friday at 1.30 pm. I work in a secondary school. Aibu to ask for the afternoon off ...I don't think I can lie!

superstarheartbreaker Tue 10-Dec-13 23:50:16

I should mention that it is the nativity.

You can ask, but I'm not sure that many schools would say yes.

annie987 Tue 10-Dec-13 23:53:24

I swapped my ppa so I could go and see my children's nativity. Is that an option?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 10-Dec-13 23:55:17

Could you take it as a late lunch break? Most nativity plays are over in 30 minutes.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 10-Dec-13 23:56:50

So YANBU for wanting to go, but possibly YABU for wanting the whole afternoon off. I'd give a different answer if you didn't work in a school.

MrsUptight Tue 10-Dec-13 23:58:27

Chuck a sickie. Don't ask....what if they say no?

Tulip26 Tue 10-Dec-13 23:59:02

YANBU. I've rearranged things for several of my staff over the years. These little moments are important and they're only little once. Is it her first one?

superstarheartbreaker Wed 11-Dec-13 00:00:14

No...second. Will ask nicely.

ILoveRacnoss Wed 11-Dec-13 00:00:16

Are you in a role where you could swap hours with a colleague? One of my TAs is swapping hours this week so that she can go to her child's nativity. A teacher at my school would be told "No" though.

superstarheartbreaker Wed 11-Dec-13 00:01:59

I'm not a teacher ATM.I start a teaching job at a new school in January though! I will ask.

AskAQuestion Wed 11-Dec-13 00:05:21

My school always accommodates these requests & I'd always let TAs go, even if it meant being short-staffed for a bit. Go.

BackforGood Wed 11-Dec-13 00:07:44

A lot of schools will try to be as accommodating as they can when it is a staff member who is prepared to do what they can to support the school when asked to. People swap PPA, or teachers manage without their TA for an hour or whatever if it's at all possible. It isn't always, but if it is, then all schools I've worked at will do what they can.

AdorabeezleWinterpop Wed 11-Dec-13 00:20:56

My school do allow us to go to things like this. Our deputy-head taught my class so that I could go to DD's. We all stand in for each other when required and it makes for a much nicer atmosphere.

ilovesooty Wed 11-Dec-13 00:33:04

MrsUptight you do realise that this would be gross misconduct?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now