To think the 'community shop' thing is going to get abused by some.

(112 Posts)
cantheyseeme Tue 10-Dec-13 16:55:43

For people who dont know there is a food bank kind of thing been set up in Barnsley where shops give food and it is sold at like 70% off. This is only for people on benefits from what i can gather, where they can get a loaf of bread for 20p and other things free. In the ideal world this would be a brilliant source of food for people in need but i cant help thinking there are people out there who wont use this as its intended purpose and spend their benefits on non essentials and think its ok because theres always things like food banks etc to fall back on. I also find ita bit of a pisstake that its only for people on benecits when there are a large number of people in this country who work and are just as poor.

Helpyourself Wed 11-Dec-13 08:39:05

I don't u d'état an the meanspiritidness of threads like this and the one where the lad was given a free Xbox by one company because he'd been scammed by another company.
There's not a limited pot of goodwill or luck. If one person gets a break it doesn't mean someone else suffers. On the contrary.
If such things wind you up, look to yourself and try and find some empathy.

cantheyseeme Wed 11-Dec-13 08:41:05

There are some angry people here today hmm

custardo Wed 11-Dec-13 08:43:10

angry at the injustice and the fact that some people think its ok to begrudge others food that would otherwise be thrown away

GinOnTwoWheels Wed 11-Dec-13 08:50:51

I do think some people are being a little bit too precious about 'poor people' being offered discount food, as if it is an insult.

I have been poor in the past and have and still do, sometimes shop in discount shops. I even shopped in Aldi and Lidl, before it was popular to do so and people looked down on them much more than they do now.

I was simply grateful at the chance to get something cheaper than normal, or to be able to buy slightly more interesting food than the basics or whatever. I didn't feel demeaned because I couldn't afford to go and buy what I wanted in Waitrose all the time, because I think thats a rather luxurious situation to be in.

It would be nice if 'everyone' could afford 'everything', but that's never going to happen.

expatinscotland Wed 11-Dec-13 08:52:02

OMG! Poor people, including working poor, getting food that would otherwise go into a hole into the ground. I'm so concerned, NOT

Actually a lot of "waste" that's supposed to be disposedof ends up on the black market anyway. I know this because I currently have 72 cans of lager and12 bottles of champagne in my cellar bought from an employee of the company that's supposed to dispose of it. Probably better for it to end up in a community shop really.

TheHeadlessLadyofCannock Wed 11-Dec-13 09:04:05

I agree with those saying that it's a sorry state of affairs when one of the richest countries in the world has to have community shops/food banks.

I like the idea of supermarkets putting their surplus/waste to good use (although really I think measures should be in place to prevent waste before it gets produced, IYSWIM: anyone read that article in the Guardian where there were cheap Jaffa Cakes in the community shop because they were unfit for sale in a 'proper' shop due to being either a bit below or a bit above their advertised weight? hmm)

HOWEVER OP, I take exception to the sentiment that it will encourage people to 'spend their benefits on non essentials and think its ok because theres always things like food banks etc to fall back on.'

First, how humiliating and soul-crushing do you think it would be to have to go to a food bank? Really, just try to put yourself in that position, just for a second. Do you honestly think people feel so sanguine about it that they'd happily use it as a fall-back, rather than as a last resort?

Second, how DARE people spend their benefits on 'non essentials', eh? And what are 'non essentials' in your book, anyway? No, hang on, let me guess: maybe people on benefits shouldn't drink, or ever have, say, chocolate, or a cigarette.

Even if people do abuse community shops, it will be a tiny minority (just as it's a tiny minority who abuse benefits) and, in my book, you don't create or run or judge a society by the standards of its worst but continually strive to raise it and keep it at its best.

In short, IMO your OP is pretty offensive. And if you think I'm one of those 'angry people': well hell yes I am. I am angry at the government who have made food banks and community shops necessary and those who voted them in. And I'm angry at people who continue in the face of all reasonable evidence to put down and demonise people who have to live on benefits.

Misspixietrix Wed 11-Dec-13 09:15:24

TheHeadlessLadyofCannock at ours that I work at. It is tucked away from the roads and behind an Estate. Their is ALWAYS a huge queue when we arrive and even though they can't physically be seen by anyone they still try and hide if that makes sense? So you're quite right. No one willingly goes there. Well not to ours anyway.

Misspixietrix Wed 11-Dec-13 09:20:46

Psst! usualsuspect I have a box here for 70p. wink.

Keletubbie Wed 11-Dec-13 10:12:57

The Company Shop already have stores throughout the UK. They are mostly attached to large companies, and are for the benefit of employees. Employees are allowed to bring a friend or family member, and I have benefitted by stocking up my freezer a few times. They stock a large range of items at a decent discount, often short dated or with missing/incorrect packaging. Does it bother me that my there are only 400g of coffee instead of 500g in my jar? Not if I only paid 50p for it!

Melonbreath Wed 11-Dec-13 10:57:58

I think it's disgusting that these sorts of shops are needed. People in this country shouldn't go hungry.

I have a friend in barnsley who goes to food banks and she'd much rather go where there is more choice and a feeling of independence rather than feeling begging. And it beats deciding whether to feed or warm her kids, in winter they spend as much time in the library as possible purely as it's warm.

Misspixietrix Wed 11-Dec-13 11:10:19

MelonBreath many people around this area do the same when winter comes. There was even an article in the local paper about a pensioner who used to sit in the local Shopping centre all day to stay warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now