To think the 'community shop' thing is going to get abused by some.

(112 Posts)
cantheyseeme Tue 10-Dec-13 16:55:43

For people who dont know there is a food bank kind of thing been set up in Barnsley where shops give food and it is sold at like 70% off. This is only for people on benefits from what i can gather, where they can get a loaf of bread for 20p and other things free. In the ideal world this would be a brilliant source of food for people in need but i cant help thinking there are people out there who wont use this as its intended purpose and spend their benefits on non essentials and think its ok because theres always things like food banks etc to fall back on. I also find ita bit of a pisstake that its only for people on benecits when there are a large number of people in this country who work and are just as poor.

farrowandbawlbauls Tue 10-Dec-13 19:43:36

I'm uneasy about this whole thing. I can't pinpoint why at the moment, but something just isn't right.

It's a great idea in theory but....ALDI and Lidl even ASDA can be cheap enough to shop in and they (the shop) were advertising fruit or 99p per bag, I think you can get fruit cheaper at a local market.

toobreathless Tue 10-Dec-13 19:48:41

I can't think of anything negative about it. It reduces waste and I can live with the odd person abusing it for the sake of the vast majority it will help. It will also provide some jobs.

Good on them.

limitedperiodonly Tue 10-Dec-13 19:51:46

Yes, I expect some people will abuse it. I expect some people involved in the scheme might be committing fraud.

Probably the same percentage of people who abuse benefits. That's vanishingly small, especially in relation to the percentage of people who are entitled to benefits and don't claim them, or are entitled but get removed from them by those charlatans at ATOS etc.

Rather less than the number of people otherwise gainfully employed who commit fraud on a daily basis.

Tell me, OP, does it keep you awake weeping at night that people who may not be entitled are jumping through hoops to score a cheap loaf of bread?

And how likely do you think they might be to do that?

cantheyseeme Tue 10-Dec-13 20:04:35

It doesnt keep me awake at night but it doesnt sit well that yet again tax payers miss out, in regards to ATOS being charletons... they do a job and have to weadle out the genuine from the not so genuine. Like i say, used in the right way its a good idea.

DowntonTrout Tue 10-Dec-13 20:14:43

The Company Shop has been going for a while. This particular one that has just opened is the first of its kind that gives out 500 membership cards to those fulfilling a certain criterior on low incomes.

The other Company Shop that has been trading for a while is also near Barnsley and is open to NhS staff, and other services, again you need a membership card. I know someone who works at a nearby hospital who gets loads of stuff from there. Mostly short date but who cares when you can freeze it.

mummymeister Tue 10-Dec-13 20:17:13

its recycling stuff before it goes to landfill isn't it. this is food that would just be going in the bins so surely it should be passed on in someway. yes, there will be abuse - stand by for the panorama documentary in the new year or the daily fail undercover story. it does ignore the fact that there are some poor people who are just outside of benefit levels who could benefit and some people on benefits with the latest ipad and phone so why aren't they spending that money on food then. wherever you have someone trying to do good you always get a level of abuse - its human nature sadly.

mrsjay Tue 10-Dec-13 20:21:01

I saw it on tv yesterday thought what a great idea and the customers they seemed to have were middle aged/older people who maybe didnt have any children left at home but were still struggiling they have to apply to be members and you always get a minority who spilt it , around here it is selling coffee from the food bank but that is one or 2 individuals that spoil it, I think the comunity shop is a great idea and of course some people will loose out I think it is for all people on low income to apply though

mrsjay Tue 10-Dec-13 20:21:48

spoil it* sorry

limitedperiodonly Tue 10-Dec-13 20:23:19

ATOS do do a job. They're not well skilled at it, judging by the number of people who win on appeal.

I wouldn't expect them to be. They are a company with no medical background employing those with dubious qualifications or employment records who've picked up a publicly-funded contract and don't appear to be giving us value for money, like G4S for instance.

Do you care about that obscene waste or does make you happy that they coin it while putting down-trodden people?

Sleep tight. They might come for you in the morning.

trulyenoughnow Tue 10-Dec-13 20:24:29

We had one of these in Germany. Although open to everyone, not just those on benefits. It was brilliant- big slabs of Camembert and deli meats etc. super super cheap (usually on the day of expiry).
The catch was that all the deliveries of fresh items were at about 6am, and if you happened to rock up late, say after 9am, it was just the odd can of dodgy meatballs etc.
lots of hardworking mums to be found at 6am stocking up for their families. Lots of people who would have benefitted from a bargain though, it has to be said, still in bed at 9am.

Judybluey Tue 10-Dec-13 20:26:23

I think it's a really good idea but at the same time it's a rather sad state of affairs that this type of scheme i.e food banks have become acceptable in our society hmm

mrsjay Tue 10-Dec-13 20:28:37

yes it is heartbreaking judy but needed sad

cantheyseeme Tue 10-Dec-13 20:28:54

That post made no sense to me towards the end unless im reading it all wrong :/ Whos going to come for me? hmm confused

judgejudithjudy Tue 10-Dec-13 21:34:29

ffs i earn £8 a week less than if i was on benefits & struggle - not fair on low earners - makes you think fuck your morals & claim benefits! dont begrude help but why for people on benefits only? gggrrrrr

Dawndonnaagain Tue 10-Dec-13 21:47:34

If that's the case judge surely you can claim tax credits?

<disclaimer> actually have no idea about tax credits!

limitedperiodonly Tue 10-Dec-13 21:48:29

The way I heard it, it was for working poor as well as the unemployed judgejudithjudy

So if you're in the Barnsley area and you're on a low income, then go for it. What have you got to lose?

Of course, if you're more interested in tussling with other poor people, while other people enjoy watching, knock yourself out.

joanofarchitrave Tue 10-Dec-13 21:56:25

YANBU to think that there will be people abusing this system.

YABVVU to think that this invalidates it as an idea. If I had a very low income I would be much more likely to try to get a membership to this than to go to a food bank. I think it's more likely to help more people and is less of a normalisation of poverty than opening loads more food banks.

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Tue 10-Dec-13 21:56:32

judgejudy

Would you accept it if it was offered to you.
I wouldn't because we are far from needing help. However, if it was assessed on income like you suggest, we would be deemed to be in need.
This imo would encourage a greater amount of misuse.

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Tue 10-Dec-13 21:57:40

abuse, not misuse. I'm dyslexic.

AmberLeaf Tue 10-Dec-13 22:12:19

You make it sound like using a food bank is enjoyable.

in regards to ATOS being charletons... they do a job and have to weadle out the genuine from the not so genuine

How lucky you are to be that naive.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Tue 10-Dec-13 22:34:22

I think it is a great idea. There is a similar shop that only NHS staff can access near me, where anyone who works for the NHS can get a card to shop there, regardless of pay scale. Food is massively reduced.
I think that is a little unfair to those on benefits / low income jobs that don't work for the NHS.
We need more of these reduced shops for people on benefits or low income, OR better still the big supermarkets need to reduce the costs of food as a whole!

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Tue 10-Dec-13 22:39:16

Sorry DowntonTrout didn't read your post before posting.

nancy75 Tue 10-Dec-13 22:47:49

Just like everything there will probably be people who take the piss, sell the stuff on whatever. But if it means a couple of kids get a breakfast or dinner they wouldn't have otherwise had then i can live with that.

Misspixietrix Tue 10-Dec-13 23:05:13

'atos do do a good job'. 'Wheedling out the geniuine claimaints etc'. I can't take ANY company who simply gives their employees 2weeks training and enables them to then be able to know everything about every medical aspect and illness etc so to be able to complete their little tickbox; seriously enough to think they are doing a good job because it obviously has fuck all to do with that £1bn bonus they are expected to not get.

Misspixietrix Tue 10-Dec-13 23:08:10

And as others have said. Many low wage earners could well be in receipt of benefits I.e housing benefit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now