Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think this was rude?

(20 Posts)
magesticmallow Tue 10-Dec-13 14:07:33

My first AIBU, I'm pretty sure I'm not being unreasonable but am prepared to be told I'm wrong

We had a gathering recently (being purposely vague so as not to out myself), it involved a ceremony, which everyone was invited to, followed by a gathering in the lounge/function room of a nearby bar/restaurant. The ceremony was on early enough during the day, to be finished for lunch time so we were mindful of the time of day organising food etc.

Firstly a lot of people didn't show up to the ceremony but arrived afterwards, no problems as such, a little cheeky, I always try make the ceremony but hey ho I wasn't going to let it annoy me on the day. We arranged food for an hour after we arrived at the venue, so just after lunch, there was loads of it, sandwiches, hot finger foods (6 varieties), laid on buffet style (4 chaffing dishes - I think that's what they are called) replenished twice, with cupcakes, cake and party bags for the kids for afterwards. All good, lovely food, everyone happy and when it was gone they cleared the buffet table and left out more sandwiches, the sweets and cakes - I just mean that there was constantly something out on the tables to eat. About an hour after the food was put out a group of people arrived, they could have eaten at that stage as there was still plenty of everything there but they didn't.

So we had pre arranged for the exact same serving of food to be served a second time that evening, so about 3-4 hours after it was served the first time. So the staff cleared the buffet and were clearly bringing out clean plates and re-setting up the buffet etc for more food and getting everything ready, when a few minutes later I see that a group had ordered a take away!!! Now is it just me or is it rude to go to a function and order a take away and sit there and tuck into it?? I only ask because others seemed shocked at the rudeness and others seemed to think nothing of it. I won't do or say anything about it to be honest but I just want to know that I am not being unreasonable in thinking they were a shower or rude so and so's and I am not on my own in thinking this is not acceptable at someone's event. (Sorry that was long I just wanted to paint a clear enough picture)

Greensleeves Tue 10-Dec-13 14:11:21

Yes, I would find this very rude

I wouldn't let it ruin my day though, I would have given them a look of frosty surprise and then ignored.

CaptainTripps Tue 10-Dec-13 14:13:01

I wouldn't be fussed either way tbh.

Their choice. Each to their own etc.

ApprenticeViper Tue 10-Dec-13 14:17:57

Based on what you've said, I would say YANBU.

Did the group who ordered the takeaway realise that there was going to be another buffet served, but still chose to order a takeaway?

If they knew, then they have been very ill-mannered. If they didn't know, and hadn't seen the new buffet being set up, then it would be slightly more forgiveable.

And, as an aside, they are called chafing (pronounced shafe-ing) dishes, from the French chauffer, meaning to make warm. Here ends the French lesson grin

pudseypie Tue 10-Dec-13 14:19:27

Yes I think its rude. I wouldn't go to an event where food was offered and then sit and eat a takeaway there.

limitedperiodonly Tue 10-Dec-13 14:44:11

Wouldn't bother me but I'd think it was a bit odd. Some people are though.

A friend's boyfriend brought a takeaway Pizza Hut salad to her family's barbecue because he said that was the only salad he liked confused

He was happy to eat everything else.

TiffanyAtBreakfast Tue 10-Dec-13 14:59:01

I'd be pissed off. I would feel that it showed they were unhappy with the food provided or that there wasn't enough. Even if that wasn't their intention - That's how it would be perceived.

Some people seem to have no sense of what is socially acceptable.

Don't let worrying about that silly group of people spoil the afterglow of your event though smile

Whatisaweekend Tue 10-Dec-13 15:27:01

Unforgivably rude. And I would be letting know I thought that (I am like that, though wink)

LimitedEditionLady Tue 10-Dec-13 16:13:01

Id find that rude.

grumpyoldbat Tue 10-Dec-13 16:25:54

YANBU, they were being rude.

Sparklymommy Tue 10-Dec-13 16:50:10

Very rude. Yanbu at all.

Topaz25 Tue 10-Dec-13 16:56:19

YANBU, I would never even think of going to a function and ordering a takeaway, it implies dissatisfaction with the food on offer. If for some reason I was still hungry, I'd order a takeaway after I'd gone home, not at the venue! They are lucky they didn't get you into trouble with the venue as many don't allow outside food.

5Foot5 Tue 10-Dec-13 16:58:55

I think it sounds rude too. But then again I think the peope who showed up for the "party" but CBA to go to the ceremony that it was presumably celebrating were being extremely rude too.

TheHippyWhoWearsLippy Tue 10-Dec-13 16:59:29

Wow this is unbelievably rude, YANBU. Do these people usually behave with no social awareness or was it just a slip up. Are you close enough to them to ask why they did it? I am annoyed for you, honestly it astounds me that some people are completely unaware of basic manners.

magesticmallow Tue 10-Dec-13 17:37:53

Thanks everyone I'm so glad it's not just me that thinks it was rude, I looked over and couldn't believe my eyes!

Apprentice I had said it to people that more was being served but I can't be 100% I said it to everyone, however, it was very obvious when they were coming back out with chafing (thank you ;) ) dishes etc that it was being replenished.

I won't say anything, I was just shocked and unsure if it was just me who thought it was rude, I saw a few other shocked faces there while others didn't bat an eye lid

magesticmallow Tue 10-Dec-13 17:41:09

5foot5 I thought that was super rude too, I would never not turn up without prior warning. If people couldn't make the ceremony and text/called beforehand I wouldn't have minded a bit but to not say a word was rude I thought too

MintyChops Tue 10-Dec-13 18:51:06

Very rude, YANBU. Some people just don't know how to behave properly.

NewtRipley Tue 10-Dec-13 18:53:02

Uncultured

<sniffs>

TSSDNCOP Tue 10-Dec-13 19:00:20

I would have thought they were stupid more than anything, why order a take out when your host is laying on loads of food.

Still, as DH says "you can't educate shit" grin

NearTheWindmill Tue 10-Dec-13 19:04:47

It was rude and it was stupid and tbh I think you are lucky the venue didn't kick up a stink with them - many would have done. I think the people in charge of the venue must have been very understanding and respected your right to a lovely day whilst your friends didn't.

Don't let it spoil it though - just don't invite them to anything again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now