To wonder if the kids will get pissed off my casserole?

(17 Posts)
monkeynuts123 Tue 10-Dec-13 12:14:53

Beef casserole with a hell of a lot of red wine it. Pre-school kids...will they get pissed?

grabaspoon Tue 10-Dec-13 12:15:47

Nope itll be fine and they might have an extra long snooze this afternoon grin

SoonToBeSix Tue 10-Dec-13 12:16:39

grin I read that as in pissed off as in annoyed and was going to say yes as my kids hate casserole.
But in answer to your question no the alcohol will be absorbed in cooking.

squeakytoy Tue 10-Dec-13 12:17:23

no because you will cook off the alcohol so there will be no alcohol content in it

HettiePetal Tue 10-Dec-13 12:17:39

I think the alcohol evaporates just leaving the flavour.

(Might be wrong, though).

AlpacaPicnic Tue 10-Dec-13 12:25:39

Yes they will. You bad mother.
I will come and eat it all and save them!
<grabs coat and nice crusty loaf>

Not all the alcohol burns off, probably enough that they won't get pissed.

Scholes34 Tue 10-Dec-13 13:19:19

If the alcohol hasn't cooked off, it won't taste so good.

Me too soontobe. I was going to commiserate about proper food wet/casserole/not covered in breadcrumb hating 'DD.

ExitPursuedByAChristmasGrinch Tue 10-Dec-13 13:28:00

I too thought you meant they would get fed up of it!

The alcoholic content is cooked out.

JammieCodger Tue 10-Dec-13 14:01:36

Its a bit of a myth about the alcohol burning off. Depending on how it is cooked its likely to have retained anything from 5 to 45% of the alcohol content. Sorry.

But even if you used a whole bottle to make the caserole, there's probably only a small amount per (child sized) serving, so I still wouldn't worry about it. My kids don't seem to mind, anyway!

akachan Tue 10-Dec-13 14:53:20

In a casserole that has cooked a long time it will be much nearer to 5% retained than 45% - according to this chart anyway!

homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blalcohol12.htm

sashh Tue 10-Dec-13 15:00:37

If you are doing it in a sc then there will be more alcohol.

But our stomachs cope with anything with less than 1% alcohol in it, without us getting drunk at all - bread can have up to 1% alcohol, and nobody gets drunk off that.

Osmiornica Tue 10-Dec-13 16:07:57

If you cook it with the lid on there'll be nowhere for the alcohol to go to so will stay in won't it. I normally boil it off before it goes into the oven.

formerbabe Tue 10-Dec-13 16:29:54

I feed my 5 & 3 year old spag bol made with red wine all the time...the alcohol boils off so its fine...

HopAlongOnItsOnlyChristmas Tue 10-Dec-13 16:32:33

I made casserole with half a bottle of red wine on Sunday. Toddler did not seem any more stumbly/slurry/belligerent than usual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now