to think that six is too young for rollerskates?

(50 Posts)
xmasadsboohiss Tue 10-Dec-13 09:35:18

that's it really!

ginnybag Tue 10-Dec-13 10:16:36

Uh, no. Definitely not too young.

My nearly 4yo DD ice skates and roller skates, albeit with predictable skill level, and I had skates at around the same age.

If anything, it's possibly a bit on the old side!

Just have them use the helmet and pads from their scooter or bike and they'll be fine.

thebody Tue 10-Dec-13 10:20:38

god no. I had them at 5 with no helmet or pads and was forever falling over. brilliant fun. I even wore them riding my byke that had no brakes. that was the 70s though and no one cared then.

my dds had them at 5 but with all the safety kit.

maybe stuck to the park if you live in a busy area.

great fun and nice to see kids out and doing stuff rather than sat at a console.

SomethingkindaOod Tue 10-Dec-13 10:22:58

Nope, not too young. I had a pair at 5 and so did DD1. She's 8 now and has a pair of really good roller boots that she lives in at the weekend.
I had a pair of those metal ones that went over the top of your shoes. How I ever got anywhere on them I'll never know..
Actually come to think of it DD1 got hers at age 3..

vikinglights Tue 10-Dec-13 10:23:21

none of mine hae rollerskates but all three of them (including the three year old) have iceskates, and use them regularly...

DuckToWater Tue 10-Dec-13 10:27:25

I had the sort you couls tie onto your shoes when I was 5, and could skate with them after a few goes.

DD1 I bought skates (disco roller boots) for her 6th birthday but she couldn't get the hang of it for another year really.

DD2 I took to a roller disco with DD1 at just turned 4. I expected to be dragging her around but she started to get the hang of it after about ten minutes, then soon after was skating around on her own quite confidently.

I guess it depends on the child.

SomethingAboutRadishes Tue 10-Dec-13 10:28:14

Nope. I wish I'd learned at that age. I started recently and am regularly lapped by tiny tots blush

They're so near to the ground anyway that if they fall over they just pop back up again. They're more relaxed and have the confidence to try stuff so they learn incredibly quickly.

Get them padded up and get them skating!

DuckToWater Tue 10-Dec-13 10:34:06

I skated a lot as a kid and can still skate quite well at 38. It's a bit like riding a bike!

Joysmum Tue 10-Dec-13 11:01:59

I forget how old my DD was when she got her first skates but they were old fashioned wheel in each corner types with a switch so the wheels couldn't go backwards. We also have been going ice skating since then too.

I fail to see why 6 is too early. I honestly don't get it???

I take my 2 sons aged 6 and 7 to the roller disco most weeks. The 6 year old had his last party there and all the kids who couldn't skate when they arrived were fine by the end. They're both getting roller skates for Christmas.

squeakytoy Tue 10-Dec-13 12:21:57

Nope.. I had skates when I was 4 and could skate reasonably well by six.

What is it that worries you?

Theodorous Tue 10-Dec-13 12:43:11

I had yellow ones with blue stripes on the 80s and the fracture was character building

xmasadsboohiss Tue 10-Dec-13 14:15:12

thanks everyone - a unanimous verdict then! I never learned to roller skate or ice skate myself so have now way of judging the appropriate age to start. one more christmas job to tick off the list for me. thanks!

gamerchick Tue 10-Dec-13 14:17:30

I've got mine some.. think it was bloody pepa pig that sparked it off. Just the ones that fit over the shoe.

Clutterbugsmum Tue 10-Dec-13 14:30:22

I had skates from about 5, as I couldn't ride a bike (still can't) but could them keep up with my siblings on their bikes.

NotYoMomma Tue 10-Dec-13 14:32:12

are you on crack? I was ice skating at 6

xmasadsboohiss Tue 10-Dec-13 15:05:40

not understanding your crack comment notyo?

Stinkyminkymoo Tue 10-Dec-13 17:09:19

No way! I remember very clearly the first time I put on my rollerskates!

I was about 6 and I was clinging for dear life into the kitchen door! It was so much fun! and I know my parents found it utterly hilarious!

SomethingkindaOod Tue 10-Dec-13 17:22:10

There's something quite funny about seeing your child on skates for the first time, a bit like Bambi trying to walk on ice! grin

pianodoodle Tue 10-Dec-13 17:24:53

We had those big fisher price ones with the stoppers on the front - not sure if they still do them smile

Sparklymommy Tue 10-Dec-13 17:56:17

Dd1 was figure skating at 4. 6 is definitely not too young. I agree if anything it's getting on the old side.

lifesgreatquestions Tue 10-Dec-13 17:57:51

I could also skate before I could ride a bike, also had a little plastic skateboard, the old thin type! My skates were cheap and had metal instead of rubber wheels. I cannot imagine the noise that must have made!

absentmindeddooooodles Tue 10-Dec-13 18:04:27

I think I had skates at 4 or 5. I was the most unco-ordi ated gangly child and im still alive to tell the tale smile

Cant wait to get ds a pair. Only 2.9 so will have to wait for the bambi-esque clinging to doorframes etc. :p

SomethingkindaOod Tue 10-Dec-13 18:16:00

When finances allow I am so getting myself some skates!
In 2014 these will be mine.. grin
www.skatehut.co.uk/skates/quad_skates_1/rookie_retro_rollerskates_red_blue.htm

DS1 had his first inline skates at 4. Progressed to aggressive skates a few years later (the sort you use on ramps and rails) and at nearly 21 still heads for the skate park when he's not at work grin He has competed in competitions and met great friends skating.. and as exercise you can't beat it, it's really good for muscles and coordination and it's free!

I won't mention the various visits to A+E ...

I am hopelessly uncoordinated and was ice skating at 6 smile

Roller skating, I never got on with - no matter where I was skating, I always seemed to be drawn to the nearest hill...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now