to not want to pick up ds early everyday?

(93 Posts)
stinkysox Mon 09-Dec-13 18:32:11

My 1st post on aibu so please be gentle!

Ds attends pre-school, afternoons, 12.15-3.15. It never opens early (usually closer to 12.20) It is attached to an infants and primary so the majority of the parents collect their dcs just after 3 when the older children get out.
I usually get there around 3 but today I didn't arrive until 3.10. As I walked up to the school I heard one of the teachers say 'oh here's mummy, ds' I looked up to see ds at the window wearing his coat & waving.
I got to the door (outside door to reception, there is then another door to classroom) and instead of being let in as normal, ds was ushered out to me with a quick goodbye.
I explained I had fees to pay so they let me in, halfheartedly looked around the office for a few seconds, complete with eye rolls, then said they couldn't find the receipt book and could I pay tomorrow. I said fine, and noticed a few of the staff members already had their coats on ready to leave.
AIBU to think this rude, and that I shouldn't be expected to pick ds up 15 minutes early when I pay for him to be there?

Ragusa Wed 11-Dec-13 22:29:05

I do think that the nursery are not being great but, then again, maintained nursery schools (e.g., attached to schools, sounds like this is one) are expensive to run, often employing qualified teachers, and the amount paid by LAs for the 15 hours is not typically very generous to say the least. Private nurseries have greater opportunities for revenue raising elsewhere and I would guess typically employe less well-qualified staff.

BuntyPenfold Wed 11-Dec-13 22:35:44

I am amazed. I work in a preschool where the opposite happens.
We count ourselves lucky if all the parents appear at home time.
Some are always late, even an hour late, and I have known days when not one parent was outside at end of day.
Many of them seem to think they are doing us a favour by coming back at all!
We hang round endlessly, trying not to hurt the children's feelings, but really desperate to get away and collect our own children.

stinkysox Wed 11-Dec-13 22:44:10

Bunty that's shocking. Do you not charge for late pick ups like my one?

BuntyPenfold Wed 11-Dec-13 22:46:21

Yes we do, but the charge doesn't cover two staff wages, so we make a loss every time.
Also, some just don't pay their last bill, so we are out of pocket anyway.

stinkysox Wed 11-Dec-13 22:47:48

Ragusa I'm not sure to be honest, but surely it's not really an excuse? I've no problems with the actual school, ds adores it and the staff are lovely with the children. I doubt high costs come from the venue though, the whole thing is just a portacabin!

stinkysox Wed 11-Dec-13 22:49:25

I suppose that's why we had to pay a deposit, to avoid things like that happening. How awful for you, it must be terribly frustrating

BuntyPenfold Wed 11-Dec-13 22:50:41

Our portacabin has a high cost as we pay a large rent to the school whose land it is on.
It is also like heating a sieve so expensive to run.

stinkysox Wed 11-Dec-13 23:00:58

I've just read that it's run by a committee but I'm not really sure what that means confused

BuntyPenfold Wed 11-Dec-13 23:12:05

If it's a registered Preschool, it has to have a committee of chair, treasurer etc and a quorum of parents on the committee to vote on, for example, policy changes.
The committee employ the staff.

BuntyPenfold Wed 11-Dec-13 23:16:47

Just out of interest, is your preschool in England? I just wondered, as if so, they are subject to the same rules as we are.
I'm fairly sure charging a deposit is not actually allowed, and would love to know how much you pay.
It would help us, of course, if people were afraid of losing their deposit, and I'm wondering if we could do that.

stinkysox Wed 11-Dec-13 23:31:51

Yes it's in England, bunty. I pay £6 per 3hr session and paid 2 weeks deposit.

BuntyPenfold Thu 12-Dec-13 07:39:15

That's interesting, thanks Stinkysox.

Bonsoir Thu 12-Dec-13 08:52:11

My DD´s school was like this when she was 2/3 - official hours were 9:00 to 12:00 but the DC came out at 11:45. It made for a very short and inconvenient morning.

BuntyPenfold Thu 12-Dec-13 09:14:52

I don't know how they get away with it. We have 30 minutes paid time after a session, when we clean and set up for next day. Often we can't do either properly, as we are still looking after at least one child.

Then some parents expect a daily heart-to-heart after every session. We regularly leave 30 or more minutes late, and do hours of report writing in our own time too.

stinkysox Thu 12-Dec-13 09:52:59

No problem Bunty I hope you can sort something for yours, it all sounds very frustrating and inconvenient for you, I would be having words with those parents! feeling brave after standing up to someone for the first time

ProudAS Thu 12-Dec-13 10:01:20

Bunty - if I were you I'd demand a deposit and fees in advance and make it clear that if you pick up your children late as a result of parents picking up late from your setting there will be an additional charge to cover that.

As for getting ready for next day a lot of pre-schoolers like to 'help' or will H&S not allow this.

BuntyPenfold Thu 12-Dec-13 10:35:13

Thanks sox

ProudAS, thanks, I will be raising this.
We do give children little tasks to make them feel involved, but we have to mop and hoover and carry rubbish over to school skips, can't with them there.

RenterNomad Thu 12-Dec-13 17:09:23

"I don't think they are in any danger of being full whether my ds does 5 days or not."

Says a lot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now