To send Christmas cards with a picture of the DCs on?

(122 Posts)
CruCru Mon 09-Dec-13 17:08:15

Older relatives and friends of our parents like to get a photo of the kids. However I think some people think it's poncy.

Leeds2 Mon 09-Dec-13 17:14:42

I loathe them, especially as the children get older. If people wanted a picture of DD, I would put a photo inside an ordinary card.

WorraLiberty Mon 09-Dec-13 17:16:55

They make me cringe tbh and I know a few kids who hate that their parents insist on sending them.

However, if your kids are happy and you know the people receiving them actually like getting photos, YANBU.

thenicknameiwantedisgone Mon 09-Dec-13 17:17:21

I agree with leeds2 - I hate them too. Put a picture in the card if you think they will really want it.

Kandypane Mon 09-Dec-13 17:18:03

Bluergh. Highly irritating, sorry!

TheRobberBride Mon 09-Dec-13 17:18:55

They are naff beyond belief.

DeepThought Mon 09-Dec-13 17:19:50

cringe

MissBattleaxe Mon 09-Dec-13 17:20:39

YANBU. Relatives and friends always comment positively on ours, and they are often up on the mantelpiece long after Christmas has come and gone.

It's a good way to reach older family that won't see Facebook or emails.

I wouldn't send them to acquaintances or colleagues, just family, close friends and people who live abroad.

Go ahead OP! It's Christmas! fsmile

I think it's lovely, if you know they'll be well received then go ahead.
If people complain cross them off the list completely for next year!

ll31 Mon 09-Dec-13 17:21:29

Really hate them, sorry! Just put photo in with card

Tailtwister Mon 09-Dec-13 17:21:30

I send a photo of the children inside a card to relatives only. I've never had them professionally produced, but don't see the issue really. I get quite a few from friends who live in the States.

Spacecraft Mon 09-Dec-13 17:21:33

I think for very close family and people who are really interested they're fine. Trouble is that parents' idea of who is interested and reality can be very different....

I agree a picture inside the card is nicer

MissBattleaxe Mon 09-Dec-13 17:23:07

I'm with Boobs. Bunch of curmudgeons upthread. ^^

lizzypuffs Mon 09-Dec-13 17:25:11

Eurgh. I hate them! A Photo in card will do.

CruCru Mon 09-Dec-13 17:26:11

Ah. Looks like most people arent thrilled to get them. Oh well. I am also of the school of sending out cards to lots of people. Never mind. Presumably when the kids are older they will rebel (currently 2 and 9 weeks).

MiaowTheCat Mon 09-Dec-13 17:26:50

I've done it for a few (about 4-5) relatives this year who are the ones who complain if they haven't had photos of the kids for a whileand I don't think I'll do it once the little and very very cute phase is over with. Carefully picked for the audience tho.

hanette Mon 09-Dec-13 17:28:19

Are you Samantha Cameron?

MissBattleaxe Mon 09-Dec-13 17:28:22

I generally like the people who send me cards so I wouldn't think "yeuch" if they sent me a picture of their kids who they love.

HesterShaw Mon 09-Dec-13 17:28:27

TBH, if DH and I received a card like that, it would be the source of a huge amount of mirth and piss taking.

Chopsypie Mon 09-Dec-13 17:30:34

I get the cards that You can insert a standard 6x4 photo into and use them for close family. But no one else!

Then they can keep the photo afterwards if they want

Dixy30 Mon 09-Dec-13 17:30:51

I think they're lovely

MrsBennetsEldest Mon 09-Dec-13 17:33:19

It is acceptable if,

A) you are royal

B) you are famous

If neither of the above applies then it could be frowned upon.
However, I am strongly of the opinion that you should do what makes you happy fsmile

WorraLiberty Mon 09-Dec-13 17:33:48

Relatives and friends always comment positively on ours

To be fair, they're hardly going to comment negatively.

If you're happy to send them OP then send them. What's the worst that can happen?

chirpchirp Mon 09-Dec-13 17:34:13

I've done it in the past. There is a picture on my profile of the card I sent. I only sent it to family and a few close friends who live abroad. Wouldn't send it to everyone.

DinkyFrinkbuster Mon 09-Dec-13 17:35:34

Family, yes, sure they'll love it.

Sending to friends, though, rather assumes they would want a photo of your child in their living room all Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now