how much does it cost to use instructor's car for test?

(31 Posts)
puddingsforsandy Mon 09-Dec-13 13:10:59

Mine is saying 3 hours worth of lessons!

the test is 45 mins (max 1 hour) at 8am.

I have agreed to it but something in the back of mind keeps thinking it can't be right.

Wouldn't it be 2 hours?

thanks

Clargo55 Mon 09-Dec-13 19:40:40

2 hours for me last summer at £50. Think DVLA recommended 42hours of lessons to pass first time.

TidyDancer Mon 09-Dec-13 19:47:02

Mine charged just over two hours. Covered the test time, the lesson beforehand and the getting home bit. If you're not getting three hours in the car, your instructor is taking the piss. The time in the car is all you should be paying for.

puddingsforsandy Mon 09-Dec-13 20:01:44

70 hours does seem a lot but I expected that as I am dyslexic and I just learn differently/longer etc. He is a great instructor, I can't fault him. Will have a awkward chat with him re: 3 hours payment for test.

AA recommends 49 hours with additional 25 hours in private car to learn.

ListWriter Mon 09-Dec-13 20:07:01

I know of one that charges for 2.5 hours for the test. A short lesson before the test, time for drop off and pick up but they also have to allow for time in case the test gets abandoned, and the instructor has to get a lift to come and get you. (If a test gets abandoned, the examiner has to leave the car, and you have to wait for your instructor to find you). 3 hours seems a bit over the top though.

SamU2 Mon 09-Dec-13 20:20:11

I have about 60 hours and four tests.

I am a great driver now because of it grin

Can't park for shit

gobbin Mon 09-Dec-13 21:37:20

I'd assumed they drove you back after passing because technically you're unlicensed, as you can no longer drive on a provisional license, although I may have been told that in error.

I was charged 2 hrs for my test too. 3 hrs isn't unreasonable but £87 is shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now