AIBU to have a poo in the evening?

(151 Posts)
Loftyjen Sun 08-Dec-13 23:47:23

DH claims poo'ing in the evening (after 10pm) is abnormal & that it is weird and IBU to do it.
tbh, I poo when I have time/am able to & with a 3 yo & 3 wo this is most often when he's around, but I don't deliberately hang on until the evening.

He claims that most people are like him & will hold into it rather than poo in the evening - according to him, all poo'ing should be done in the morning (ideally mid-morning going by his w/e habits) & that variation in the time of day that I go is weird & I should just hold on & go in the morning (like him).

Please reassure me that he's the weird one who's BU wink

5HundredUsernamesLater Mon 09-Dec-13 01:23:28

I can't believe he's got nothing better to do than to police your toileting habits

Bogeyface Mon 09-Dec-13 01:26:51

A bums got to do what a bums got to do.

YANBU

Unless I am away from my own loo, which is a whole other thread of ishoos!

sporktacular Mon 09-Dec-13 01:31:31

"WTF? Are his bowels from the 1950s?"

^ THIS!

Poo when you want to poo. Try not to let him teach your DC his insane rules about when it is OK to poo.

80sMum Mon 09-Dec-13 01:36:33

I think some people are creatures of habit and some are not. I am the former.
Actually, it's a good idea to train your system to 'evacuate' at a particular time each day, as the body then gets into a good rhythm.
For me, it has always been mornings, about 10 to 20 minutes after breakfast. Very very rarely do I 'go' at any other time (I would guess maybe once or twice a year, if that).
Choosing a regular time, when you'll usually be near a loo, means you won't get into situations where you suddenly need to go but can't (on a bus journey, for example). Holding on is not a good thing to do and can make it harder to go afterward.

Bogeyface Mon 09-Dec-13 01:38:35

80's, hate to tell you this but your body isnt going then because you chose it. Its because you ate and it is naturally "making room". I usually go after lunch because I dont eat breakfast and if I skip lunch then I go just after dinner.

meganorks Mon 09-Dec-13 03:09:56

My dp claims to have 'a poo window's (about 10-11) and if he misses that slot he doesn't go again till the next morning. Be will if he needs to but usually his body just waits a day. Now that's weird! I normally go after breakfast but can be whenever. Although rarely late at night

Tapiocapearl Mon 09-Dec-13 03:38:14

Your husband is bonkers

AnythingNotEverything Mon 09-Dec-13 03:44:25

This confirms it for me. Men are weird.

LittleBabyPigsus Mon 09-Dec-13 03:55:19

I wish I had a choice as to when I go! IBS makes that choice for me sad

Loftyjen Mon 09-Dec-13 04:01:17

sighhh thank you guys!
So glad that I am normal & that equally lots of you have DH 's with similar feelings (although Daddy your DH does take it several steps beyond shock).

Was going to continue to do things my way anyway, but it's so good to know I'm normal to be doing it grin

Loftyjen Mon 09-Dec-13 04:01:59

Anything - indeed they are!!

GoshAnneGorilla Mon 09-Dec-13 04:09:29

It is by far the best thing for your bowel health to go when you need to go. Poo is a waste product, why hold on to it?

I will definitely be teaching my dd the same. DM is one of those people who is massively particular about when and where she pops and suffers from terrible constipation as a result.

Public toilets should be better ventilated/deodorised so that people feel able to go when they need to.

<surprised at how strongly I feel a out this>

AdoraBell Mon 09-Dec-13 04:11:42

YANBU

Tell your DH that According To a book I've read, written by a Dr., everyone should be taking a dump each time we eat, just like babies.

Therefore, HIBU. Plus what Venus said, it just ain't healthy To hang on To it.

Am I the only person who doesn't keep track of when I poo? I go at least twice a day when it needs to come out

AdoraBell Mon 09-Dec-13 04:23:09

Not the only one, I don't keep track either.

ZingSweetPea Mon 09-Dec-13 04:35:21

is your DH Sheldon Cooper?

I crap when I need to, I thought everyone did the sameconfused

SomethingkindaOod Mon 09-Dec-13 08:31:09

DH holds it until he gets home from work. Every day. At the weekends he holds it until we get back from wherever we are. However he acknowledges he's a bit strange about it!
YANBU, go when you need to!

Morloth Mon 09-Dec-13 09:12:19

WTAF?

LucyLasticKnickers Mon 09-Dec-13 09:20:44

i dont poo at work,
i aim to get up early enough to poo before work but as a result often have a stomach ache. sad

i am therefore in the evening routine which suits me more

LucyLasticKnickers Mon 09-Dec-13 09:22:02

in my defence my office is next to the loo, so it is bad enough when anyone else goes blush and the walls are not thick to disguise

runningonwillpower Mon 09-Dec-13 09:24:02

Pooing is like death.

When it's time to go, it's time to go.

LucyLasticKnickers Mon 09-Dec-13 09:29:51

a nice smooth sausage is the best, so i heard the other day grin

Trills Mon 09-Dec-13 09:34:08

It is never unreasonable to poo when you need to poo.

It is highly unreasonable to stick to a schedule.

lottiegarbanzo Mon 09-Dec-13 09:35:05

I don't understand the concept of choice in this context. Or 'holding on'. What? You need to go, you go. You can only wait if you don't really need to go yet, surely?

This must to relate to the weird idea of 'making yourself go' by sitting on the loo for half an hour, that I've read about here...

How does your DH claim to know how everyone else functions privately? Has he lived in all their houses. Gets around a bit doesn't he?!

Flisspaps Mon 09-Dec-13 09:37:41

YABU for saying 10pm is evening.

5-8ish is evening. 10pm is night.

Still, poo when you need to, not by DH's bizarre poo schedule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now