Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

DH and toilet manners

(33 Posts)
Anydrinkwilldo Sun 08-Dec-13 22:49:20

Am I really being unreasonable to NOT want my dh to walk into the bathroom while I'm sitting in the toilet. He tells me his live for me has no boundaries. I tell him bathroom time is no man zone. Bad enough I have ds and the dog watching me most of the time

I JUST WANT TO POOP IN PEACE

(While I'm at it I don't want a conversation about ANYTHING while applying thrush cream, I would prefer if you left the room tbh).

WhoNickedMyName Sun 08-Dec-13 22:50:00

Get a lock on the door.

thebody Sun 08-Dec-13 22:51:10

yeuk!!!! fit a lock and learn boundaries!

farrowandbawlbauls Sun 08-Dec-13 22:51:33

grin

YANBU - it used to bug the hell out of me when the ex did this. It's one of the upsides of being single, I can have a shit in peace (as long as the kids are at school)

okthen Sun 08-Dec-13 22:51:53

Argh no yanbu. Been with dp 13 years and we've never seen each other on the loo. Yuck!

I'm the one who does the barging in here blush

However I would never barge in on a poo! Yuck. Pee / in shower / bath / shaving I barge right in though.

Leeds2 Sun 08-Dec-13 22:53:58

Does your bathroom door not have a lock?

LegoCaltrops Sun 08-Dec-13 22:54:08

He should respect your request for the door to remain CLOSED. Can you get a lock on the door?

BreconBeBuggered Italy Sun 08-Dec-13 22:54:21

Where's your lock? No problems with a casual piddle with the door open, but defecation is not a spectator sport.

squeakytoy Sun 08-Dec-13 22:55:48

Is locking the door not an option??

Anydrinkwilldo Sun 08-Dec-13 22:57:51

All keys removed from doors as we have a toddler ds who has recently learned what a key does and is practising turning them fwink

Ragwort Sun 08-Dec-13 23:01:06

Keep the key in a safe place out of reach of the toddler.

It's not rocket science is it hmm? I have never, ever been disturbed in the bathroom, I close the door and my DS & DH wouldn't dream of disturbing me, if I had a key I would use it.

I really think some mothers parents like to consider themselves martyrs in that they cannot even poop in peace.

Helpmestaysane Sun 08-Dec-13 23:02:57

A high latch hook at the top of the bathroom door

gimcrack Sun 08-Dec-13 23:03:08

Tell him to knock if the door is shut. Even my two-year-old DS does that.

Aniseeda Sun 08-Dec-13 23:03:38

I'd fit a bolt high up or get a wedge and keep it hidden from the toddler tbh. I cannot be doing with a bog door that I can't lock.

If you can't do that then your DH needs to learn to knock if the door is shut.

I walked in on my DH on the toilet once by accident (middle of the night, he hadn't bothered locking it) and it's not a sight I wish to see ever again!

Bigbrassband Sun 08-Dec-13 23:03:54

I agree with Helpmestaysane!

Helpmestaysane Sun 08-Dec-13 23:04:13

Use the key from the inside then put it safe in your underwear drawer

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 08-Dec-13 23:04:29

Get a bolt and fit it right to the top of the door where toddlers cannot reach?

I'm another who has no need of being disturbed while on the loo, so I lock the door.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 08-Dec-13 23:04:57

(apols, cross-posts re bolt)

jammiedonut Sun 08-Dec-13 23:11:59

Meh I draw the line at being watched while I change sanpro but otherwise the rest doesn't bother me. Dh can chat for as long as he likes (as long as he can stand the smell of course!), as can ds. Funnily enough neither do hang about.
If it annoys you though can't you lock from the inside? Or shout get out get out get out over and over until he gets the message?

BreconBeBuggered Italy Sun 08-Dec-13 23:12:30

If you want a lock at a more normal height, get one that can be opened from the outside with a coin as insurance against toddler activity.

Anydrinkwilldo Sun 08-Dec-13 23:17:19

Our doors are funny bolt or latch hook wouldn't work too much door frame iykwim. Anyway tol him since July to put up a curtain pole, god knows how long I'd be waiting for that!! (But that's a different rant)

LittleBabySqueakSqueak Mon 09-Dec-13 09:29:18

Put a hook high up on the inside of the door or frame and keep the key there.

fluffyraggies England Mon 09-Dec-13 10:12:50

Rubber door stop. Your side of the door. Keep it up out of reach in the bathroom and just get it down and use it when you're on the loo.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 09-Dec-13 10:28:17

Put a wedge under the door or a towel in front of it. There is no way I would want DH walking in while I was doing things like that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now