Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to stop the water?

(38 Posts)
meeemo Sun 08-Dec-13 21:28:39

Moved into a new house a few months ago. There is a field next to us, and they have animals grazing. We asked if there was room to put our animal to graze also. The husband said he would check with his wife, but wasn't sure because someone else had asked the same months back and they declined them.

So i gave them our number to give us a call and let us know what he said.

Many Many weeks have passed and we have not had any contact to tell us either way.

AIBU to turn off the water that runs from our house to their field? they had an arrangement with the previous owners that they could use the water.

I think that if they cant even give us the decency to tell us we could not share the field, then why bother to give then the same courtesy re the water.

meeemo Sun 08-Dec-13 22:32:14

i can not tell how much land they have. lots of fields, possibly belonging to same person or different people.

I totally understand that they may not have enough room, you would have thought that they could have got back to me though!

Millenniumbug1 Sun 08-Dec-13 22:41:33

What Deepthought said + it will only come back & torment you, as in, "Manon des Sources!"

WooWooOwl Sun 08-Dec-13 22:53:22

But they pretty much said no the first time you asked. Learn to take a hint!

starofbethlehemfishmummy Sun 08-Dec-13 22:57:36

So you have a huge pipe running along your garden...I think they need to make other arrangements

pottytowork Sun 08-Dec-13 22:59:01

joys mum. when have I said that it wasnt a problem before?

pottytowork Sun 08-Dec-13 23:03:09

thats what I think too starof

CSIJanner Sun 08-Dec-13 23:23:23

Ignoring the grazing animals question.

The front of your lounge is very boggy? Then you need to warn them that you'll be shutting off the pipe due to leaking water. Continuous wet ground outside of your property isn't good, especially in winter. You need to check if you've been charged for the water, damp, possible structural damage to the property and basically let the ground recover.

AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Sun 08-Dec-13 23:52:30

I'll echo what others have said - I think you need to be more concerned less about water in their field, and more about water in your house.

Ionlywantitall Sun 08-Dec-13 23:53:00

meemo

I have both a well at my house and a farm in another location. I can assure you that donating water does cost you money.

You have well that has a pump that runs on electricity and there is considerable wear and tear on the pump itself. It is also advisable to have your pump checked by a plumber every few years to ensure its ok. None of this is cheap. I provide an independent source of water for my land- maintaining this is far from free. Your neighbours owe you big time!

Ionlywantitall Sun 08-Dec-13 23:55:49

Just to point out- that provide an independent source of water on the farm. solely for agricultural use.

Ionlywantitall Sun 08-Dec-13 23:58:14

FFS I provide

blames wine fgrin

trufflesnuffler Mon 09-Dec-13 00:09:58

I would ask again incase something has happened and they've merely forgotten.

Maybe wife found a Lovehoney receipt... wink

PigletJohn Mon 09-Dec-13 00:31:20

have you got a water meter (yet)?

If not, what is your water rates bill?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now