Furious that MP's are to get an 11% pay rise!

(270 Posts)
Millenniumbug1 Sun 08-Dec-13 08:42:24

Why? When the rest of the country is wondering how we're going to pay our heating bills, we had 30,000 deaths due to the cold last year, (many more than Switzerland), but the MPs award themselves this pay rise.
I always feel indebted to vote, but I wish we could have a box on the ballot paper which says that we don't like any of them! I just don't think they've earned an 11% pay rise.

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 08-Dec-13 09:30:58

I'd compare it to a fluffy PR job, with zero substance. Don't know what that twic of job would pay though.

Isn't it convenient that they get to absolve themselves of all responsibility for this payrise now they've handed it over to an independent body...

I can safely assume that if said body suggested an 11% pay cut, they'd get a vote or a say in it, or the decision wouldn't have been given to them in the first place.

Independent body my arse.
The 'Independent' body have clearly been working closely with the mps...

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 08-Dec-13 09:32:01

twic=type

diddlediddledumpling Sun 08-Dec-13 09:33:21

They have list some allowances
Yes, such as a £15 dinner allowance and claims for tea and biscuits. They can't have their taxis paid for either, unless its after 11pm. (These are just some of the ones mentioned in NBC article, there are probably others.)
I don't know about you, but I've to pay for my own dinner, tea and biscuits.

diddlediddledumpling Sun 08-Dec-13 09:35:13

sorry, NBC= BBC
Also, it's claimed the three main party leaders disagree with it.
Who is actually on IPSA?

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sun 08-Dec-13 09:35:36

I reckon nurses, teachers etc could do with a nice independent body to recommend how much they get then and for the government to have to say yes.

Of course ipso have recommended that, because as others have said its what is needed to keep up with the rise in cost of living. They aren't politically motivated. However if the Tories truly believe austerity is needed then they would say no thank you that's against our policy.

Well, there are other jobs with lots of responsibility, aren't there? I am not seeing 11% payrises in other sectors hmm

Yes, what Kitten and PD said.

High level Bankers and MPs are the only ones getting raises this high lately. The rest of us muddle along with 1 - 2%.

It's fucking ridiculous.

Financeprincess Sun 08-Dec-13 09:43:11

Noble giraffe is actually correct! One of the main drivers of the MPs' request for a pay rise was the tightening of the expenses policies.

In 'The Thick of It', Malcolm Tucker (best character on telly in my view) tells the new minister for DOSaC that the public would like to see her working for free and sitting on a spike whilst she does it. I think there's some truth in that. If you want good people to become MPs, you have to pay them a decent salary. As others have noted, we don't want to return to a time when only rich people could afford to be MPs.

I suspect they are going for a big increase now so that they don't have to do another for a few years...get the bad PR out of the way all at once.

Cameron, Clegg and Milliband were actually against the increase, although the first two at least are independently wealthy so the salary is meaningless to them.

Millenniumbug1 Sun 08-Dec-13 09:51:09

I just think that they should lead from the front and have 1 or 2%, "We're all in it together," now sounds so incredibly hollow.

sneezecakesmum Sun 08-Dec-13 09:53:34

Well the three leaders of the parties disagree with it so I'll be waiting to see if they donate the extra to charity each year.

Ledkr Sun 08-Dec-13 09:56:58

Dickheads!
I'm a sw and dh is PC we've bad our pay frozen for ages now and I've had my bad allowance taken away even though if be sacked if I didn't have a car to get to visits all over the country.
We will also be retiring shortly before we die!
Democracy my fat arse.

Ledkr Sun 08-Dec-13 09:57:44

Car allowance not bad allowance whicb we don't get either grin

GiveItYourBestFucker Sun 08-Dec-13 09:58:15

Pay them the national average wage. As a PP has said, the point of the salary was to remove the need to have an independent income and allow working class people to become MPs. It was not "to attract the best people" or to allow MPs to become rich while in the job. Being an MP isn't massively trying unless you're a Minister. And guess what - you get paid more for that.

AuntieMaggie Sun 08-Dec-13 10:01:58

When the rest of public sector hasn't had a payrise for years or has had 1%? And thousands of public sector employees will be losing they're jobs next year? No they shouldn't get 11% payrise.

SirChenjin Sun 08-Dec-13 10:04:39

Oh well - I'm sure that they will all do the decent thing and not take it.

hmm

TheRealAmandaClarke Sun 08-Dec-13 10:07:20

If you want good people to become MPs you have to pay them a decent salary

I don't think that is a valid justification for an 11% pay rise in the current climate. We are in need of "decent people" to become doctors, teachers, nurses, social workers. But there's no such renumeration for them.
Also, is it only "decent" people who are attracted to a high salary? Indecent people are happy with minimum wage then?

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 08-Dec-13 10:07:20

What does a cabinet minister get Giveityourbest?

I didn't realise it was more, but that's understandable, I suppose.

TheRealAmandaClarke Sun 08-Dec-13 10:09:22

Local government are also awarding themselves pay rises well above the national average.
All a bunch of crooks IMO.

OrlandoWoolf Sun 08-Dec-13 10:10:46

Look at what a hospital consultant, GP, headteacher of a large secondary, Brigadier earns.

Should an MP be paid what they earn?

If good people want to be MPs they should be:

Honest
Fair
Listen to their constituents and
Accept that public service is not something that makes you rich.

TiredDog Sun 08-Dec-13 10:11:13

It is disgusting and immoral. MPs cannot be unaware of many people struggling and they accept 11%. I just couldn't do it

Iamsparklyknickers Sun 08-Dec-13 10:22:39

Ah yes - high salaries attract the best don't they?

It certainly seems to put a stop to the networking and cliques that seemed to dominate the higher posts - public and private - in our country.

It's not as if massive institutions - again public and private - are being run into the ground purely by ineptness. Bollocks is there an evil masterplan, it's plain fucking stupidity.

<nudges Jeremy Hunt and Michael Gove forward> look at these fantastic examples of the 'best' people to oversee the basic needs of a civilized society. Their sparkling CV's clearly show they're capable of what their remit requires.

Such a shame that Paul Flowers was given to such sordid hobbies considering his solid experience in the banking industry.

diddlediddledumpling Sun 08-Dec-13 10:49:37

I've read some of IPSA's report on remuneration packages.
The crux of it seems to be that since 2007, the salary if an MP has dropped below that of some other professions which are considered comparable in terms if responsibility. The report says there is a pay gap which needs to be fixed.
The other professions include a head teacher (I think of a large school, in London, salary grade L31), a Police Chief Superintendent,

diddlediddledumpling Sun 08-Dec-13 10:51:07

Sorry
A colonel in the armed forces and an HR director in a health trust. Plus a couple of others.
Do you think these are comparable roles, in terms of responsibility? Genuine question

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now