Fill up my vol-au-vant cases for me

(33 Posts)

I need ideas, no sweet corn, no mushrooms, I need lots of vegetarian/vegan ideas but have meat eaters coming too.

Sorry, meant to be in chat but AIBU to want a nice variety of vol-au-vants? :-)

Flossyfloof Sat 07-Dec-13 22:39:07

How rude. Vol-au vEnt.

Lovelybitofsquirrel Sat 07-Dec-13 22:52:26

Mashed up roasted butternut squash with or without crispy bacon

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 07-Dec-13 22:55:02

I would lob in some pesto and top with grilled peppers and aubergine.

Mosschops30 Sat 07-Dec-13 22:55:23

Is it 1981???

my husband thinks it's 1981 he's requested a cheese, ham and pineapple hedgehog and calling it a retro buffet, I despair sad

Slithers of beef and a blob of horseradish.

Roasted veg

Can't not mention prawn cocktail <runs away>

What about goat's cheese and bacon for the meat eaters, and perhaps cheese and leek for vegetarians.

I'm a meat eater so not completely au fait with vegan food, but would caramelised onions with peppers work? (Would for me, I love onions and peppers.)

phantomnamechanger Sat 07-Dec-13 23:06:11

egg mayo, tuna and cucumber mayo, smoked salmon, cream cheese and bacon, would houmous work?

Mosschops30 Sat 07-Dec-13 23:06:38

Ooh I do love a cheese and pineapple hedgehog grin

bubalou Sat 07-Dec-13 23:07:52

I did bruschetta type ones for a party recently - they were awesome and cheap.

Chop up - tomatoes, red onion, basil and garlic and if you want some of those small mozzarella balls with a splash of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Yummy.

Tommy Sat 07-Dec-13 23:08:45

goats' cheese and a dollop of red onion chutney
pesto and mozzarella
roasted Mediterranean veg and ??

you need something creamy-ish with vol-au-vents or they are too dry

bubalou Sat 07-Dec-13 23:10:04

Ooh as for prawn cocktail - I do prawn boats and they go down so well.

But the small gem lettuces and use 1 leaf for each, mix the prawns with sauce and 1spoon on each leaf with a wedge of lemon and sprinkle of paprika. They look amazing. grin

We always have strawberry jam and wipped cream in vol-au-vents. So you could have main course vol-au-vents with the suggestions above, and jam+cream pudding volavonts (it gets tiring spelling it properly after a while)

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 07-Dec-13 23:12:42

Finely chopped tandoori chicken.
Or coronation chicken.
Roasted veg in a cheese sauce.
Chilli.
Fajita filling.
Salsa and chorizo (maybe need to think about this one).

phantomnamechanger Sat 07-Dec-13 23:16:28

moomin, I did not want to be the first to suggest that, in case everyone was appalled, but yes sweet ones are nice too - we also do lemon curd and cream, "eton mess" or slightly sweeted cream chesse topped with a grape

WilsonFrickett Sat 07-Dec-13 23:16:36

No mushrooms? YABU.

But chopped peppers with a dod of cream cheese and a smidgen of pesto would be just as good I suppose. You could add some shredded chicken for a meaty version too.

phantomnamechanger Sat 07-Dec-13 23:17:22

you could also do mincemeat ones at this time of yr, like a mince pie

Go to Morrisons or the food emporium of your choice and purchase several tubs of generic sandwich fillings. Spoon lavishly into vol-au-vent cases. Present prettily on plates with doilies (D'Oyleys? grin) and bask in the admiration of your guests...
grin
Let's face it - life is way to short to stuff a vol-au-vent wink

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 07-Dec-13 23:21:00

Also egg mayo with lots of pepper and chives.

Bloody hell all sounds good, liking the sandwich filling idea too :-) no idea why he wants these other than his mother did them although all she put in hers was mushroom soup! reason it turns my stomach now envy

Lovelybitofsquirrel Sun 08-Dec-13 07:24:45

Ooh I am also a massive fan of cheese and pineapple probably shouldn't mention we had that at our wedding

Dessert vol au vent

Toffee, sliced banana, whipped cream & grated chocolate (or broken up Flake)

I can't sit anywhere near Cil Au Vonts at a party, I eat the lot blush.

Is your pastry definitely Vegan?

Consider buying Vegan Mayo and cheese substitutes etc and your choices won't be limited.

If Mushrooms are a No No, then look at Spinach and Tofu.

Holland and Barratt have a good range of Vegan Christmas food in and you could easily do a Vegan version of "traditional" fillings.

I have filled mine with a spicy type curry veg mix.

Nearly all of Levi Roots mix in sauces are Vegan, that Tesco's/Asda sell., if you need an alternative to a Brown/Worchester Sauce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now