AIBU to be even more annoyed at the benefit system?

(108 Posts)
RoseRedder Sat 07-Dec-13 21:55:18

I'm not really sure what I want to say about this or how to put it

But my friend has been found dead. Details are at the moment a bit confused and nothing confirmed but it's pointing to suicide

I hadn't had contact with him for about six months then when he asked for help I obviously didn't do enough

about my friend

I found out at 8pm, I'm still taking it in to be honest.

This country stinks to high hell

ScaredToBeHonest Mon 09-Dec-13 19:10:03

So sorry for your friend and for your loss

RoseRedder Mon 09-Dec-13 18:45:05

Thank you all flowers

lifehasafunnywayofhelpinguout Sun 08-Dec-13 19:21:00

Also Rose. Please know this is not your fault. Please do not blame yourself. xx
Rest in peace, Steven. xx

lifehasafunnywayofhelpinguout Sun 08-Dec-13 19:14:50

Kilmuir. Come on a bit of sensitivity here would not go a miss. It would not hurt you to show some compassion. If the benefit system is not to blame can could you please come forward and tell us who is.
Although I have never needed to claim benefits. I would never judge anyone on benefits.
So sorry for your loss, Rose. Your poor friend. This government treats criminals with more compassion that they do the sick disabled and unemployed. How brave of them targeting the most vulnerable in society. xxx

applejacket Sun 08-Dec-13 19:11:54

oh op your poor friend

i am so sorry flowers

this country SUCKS

haveyourselfashandy Sun 08-Dec-13 17:56:16

Sorry,that swear word was inappropriate.

haveyourselfashandy Sun 08-Dec-13 17:55:47

Sorry,that swear word was inappropriate.

haveyourselfashandy Sun 08-Dec-13 17:54:55

RIP Steven.
This country is a joke,I fucking hate David Cameron and the rest of the posh boys in power

Darkesteyes Sun 08-Dec-13 17:06:04

Hope you are ok OP X

Darkesteyes Sun 08-Dec-13 17:04:52

As long as people shut their eyes, put their fingers in their ears and go la la la then all is ok with the world.

In Germany in the 1930s there was a mass hate campaign against disabled people. Posters were displayed depicting that disabled people were costing the country money.
I see chilling parellels between that and what is going on today. Someone from one of the right wingers (it MAY have been UKIP) even suggested building "complexes" to house all the disabled people in one place. And headlines from the right wing press like "75% of ppl on Incapacity Benefit are faking it" are the equivalent of the poster campaign in 1930s Germany.And there is also a correlation between this and the rise in disability hate crimes.

Itstartshere Sun 08-Dec-13 12:46:15

And when I say 150 people I'm obviously just talking about the people I have weekly contact with. Obviously this affects many thousands more.

Itstartshere Sun 08-Dec-13 12:45:38

I am so sorry OP, there really wasn't anything you could have done, this is too big an issue. It was very decent of you to lend the money and to tell us his story here.

I would like to say while there people out there who are reading this thread who care, that I am a member of a support group with about 150 disabled people in it. Good, educated, very intelligent, funny, hard working people who have all just had bad luck. (we're pretty much all in our 30's) The vast majority are absolutely invisible because they are very unwell but let me assure you their lives are being made miserable by the government. Nearly 150 people who are going through the winter with no heating despite needing to keep warm to keep their health stable, constantly having to go through assessments and appeals and battle to get things like ESA, struggling in ways they really should not have to. Lots of them are in utter despair because they know they stand to lose their income over the coming years when DLA goes out, and as they come up for assessment again with ESA. People are now battling mental health issues on top of physical because of what they're being put through. It is hard to know their stories and not be furious. They have no voice, but they exist.

We need people fighting for all those disabled people who are quietly living utterly desperate lives right now.

GobbySadcase Sun 08-Dec-13 10:23:27

Pinup good luck with that. Campaigners have been trying to get this stuff in the media for over two years but with a few exceptions (Polly Toynbee, Nina Lakshmi and Sonia Poulton) there's been a weird silence on the issue. This is why people don't know what is happening, why they deny what is happening and why I got called a shrieking hysteric on these forums for even attempting to highlight the issue.

As long as people shut their eyes, put their fingers in their ears and go la la la then all is ok with the world.

Pinupgirl Sun 08-Dec-13 09:41:47

Have you contacted the media about this op? I am sure they would be interested or is it already in the news? Might help others in a similar position if it attracts attention. I shall have a google on your behalf.

I'm so sorry to hear this sad The system as it is treats the vulnerable like shit and should never be allowed to go on

WireCatGlitteryBaubles Sun 08-Dec-13 08:23:59

Rip Steven.

OP, you are a lovely friend.

Please don't blame yourself. This government are responsible for the death of thousands of people. It's horrendous.

We are here for you

thanks

Kandypane Sun 08-Dec-13 08:09:20

This country is a fucking disgrace.

So sorry. RIP Steven

X

paxtecum Sun 08-Dec-13 06:53:06

Rose: I'm so sorry about Steven.
Please do not blame yourself.

A relative of mine also took his own life. He has Post Polio Syndrome, which meant he was in constant pain and had no mobility.
He battled constantly to get a good care package and failed.
His health was only going to decline so he made his decision.

I cannot imagine how terrible it must be to be a prisoner inside a failing body and the have money and care worries too.
Unbearable.

Best wishes to you. You WERE a good friend to Steven.

sashh Sun 08-Dec-13 06:32:01

I don't know what to say.

I'm shocked, I remember the other thread.

CitrusSun Sun 08-Dec-13 06:05:07

You can tell so much about a country from the way it treats those in need and this country is fucked thanks to the present ConDem old boys club privately educated government who are about as in touch with ordinary folks as the man in the moon and who don't have the balls to go after those who tax evade - benefit fraud is 10% of the missing money, 90% is from tax evasion - who are usually the higher earners and no one will touch them, far better to shoot fish in a barrel isn't it, go after the truly deserving and reduce them to nothing financially. Fucking disgrace. I am so sorry this has happened to your friend OP.

DoubleLifeIsALifeOfSorts Sun 08-Dec-13 05:25:25

I agree with this quote very much written earlier by Shyla

In the words of Archbishop Desmond Tutu: "There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they're falling in"

DoubleLifeIsALifeOfSorts Sun 08-Dec-13 05:20:07

God how terrible, poor poor him, and the people he leaves behind.

Yes absolutely do contact his parents if you want to. When my sister died my parents took comfort in people who told them how much she meant to them and how much she was missed.

concretebox Sun 08-Dec-13 02:32:44

I read your other thread.
So sorry to read this.
How sad to read his text.

It's shaming on us all.

CrispyHedgehogFucker Sun 08-Dec-13 01:39:27

So sorry Rose. Please don't blame yourself or feel responsible in any way. You did what you could x

AlbertoFrog Sun 08-Dec-13 00:39:21

I'm very sorry to hear this news rose

You were a good friend.

I hope Steven is now at peace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now