to wonder why anyone would go and see a Coca Cola Truck...

(54 Posts)
BroomstickRider Sat 07-Dec-13 20:36:16

with lights on it. And have their photo taken with it because its just so Christmassy?

I don't get it either.

Space2000 Sat 07-Dec-13 20:38:47

I really really don't get it...it's a hideous thing to do

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 07-Dec-13 20:38:52

Beyond belief.

formerbabe Sat 07-Dec-13 20:38:53

I have no idea why it is linked to Christmas?!

dollywashers Sat 07-Dec-13 20:40:08

We went last week and it was lovely. We always watch the advert at Christmas. They were playing Christmss music and elves were handing out free cans of coke. Why not?

puntasticusername Sat 07-Dec-13 20:40:34

YANBU. When the fuck did it become a Thing? In Britain? It actually almost makes me want to write to the Daily Fail and complain about the utter degeneracy of modern society.

BroomstickRider Sat 07-Dec-13 20:41:11

Why not? Why would you want free cans of that addictive unhealthy stuff, especially for children?

katrina81 Sat 07-Dec-13 20:41:33

We went, I took a picture of my children in front of said truck, then I even put on fakebook. The children loved it and I got some free full fat coke.

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Sat 07-Dec-13 20:41:59

They make a party night of it, my dsis goes every year, she loves it.
Not my thing either but I'm told its really good and lots going on.

BlingBang Sat 07-Dec-13 20:42:55

It was in town yesterday. A queue waiting. Had to ask some what was going on and why people were queuing. I thought Santa was inside and it was his grotto.

cheval1980 Sat 07-Dec-13 20:43:02

I love the coke advert, it's the best part of Christmas, probably even better than the presents and food and stuff.

BroomstickRider Sat 07-Dec-13 20:43:12

Its the pictures on facebook that have inspired this thread!

JustRestingMyEyes Sat 07-Dec-13 20:49:42

No idea what it is like in the UK but in Germany it is the following:

The back truck has Santa inside and you get a free photo taken with him

The front truck has an interactive ride simulator with holidays are coming music and you get a free dvd of you 'riding in snow' with your child

There is no free cola here but you do get free cuddly toys - penguins, santa etc they have coca cola scarves but still cute and free

There is a tent where you can make the truck out of cardboard

As it is Germany it is usually situated near Glühwein

We go every year. Tis Fab. And Free.

hugoagogo Sat 07-Dec-13 20:49:46

It is stupid; the truck is an accident waiting to happen in narrow British city streets too.

BobCrotchstitch Sat 07-Dec-13 20:50:33

They charge vast amounts for photos as we'll apparently. It was almost riot level excitement when it came to a nearby town we stayed away fgrin

Caitlin17 Sat 07-Dec-13 20:51:46

formerbabe it's linked to Christmas because the prevailing view of what a Santa should look like was invented by Coca-Cola's marketing department.

EauRougemasTree Sat 07-Dec-13 20:53:41

That's an urban myth.

JustRestingMyEyes Sat 07-Dec-13 20:55:56

Also Haddon Sundblom in the 30s created the imagery we associate with Santa for the coca cola company - the old dude in red was based on an elderly cola salesman.

just sayin wink

silverlace Sat 07-Dec-13 20:56:33

Never heard of going to see the truck but I do know Santa used to be shown wearing green until Coca Cola got hold of him in the 1930s and invented the jolly man in red that we all recognise these days.

JustRestingMyEyes Sat 07-Dec-13 20:56:40

No eau tis not, will find you some links

Facebaffle Sat 07-Dec-13 20:57:23

The holidays are coming...

I thought it was more than just a truck driving up. Isn't it more of an event with things going on?

Lighten up you grinches smile

shock

You think the Coke advert is the best part of Christmas ?!? Cheval

Seriously ?? You're kidding right?

EauRougemasTree Sat 07-Dec-13 20:59:13
JustRestingMyEyes Sat 07-Dec-13 21:00:19

okay eau you will HATE the this link as it is from the evil brown stuff but if not factually correct i would be interested as to how it has been allowed to be peddled if an urban myth...

www.coca-colacompany.com/holidays/the-true-history-of-the-modern-day-santa-claus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now