I'm 28 and have no idea how to dry clothes.

(83 Posts)
Buddhagirl Sat 07-Dec-13 18:57:32

Iabu to use AIBU for advice.

But, how do you use a washing line? Dryer is too expensive so dh and I brought a outside washing line but I don't really get it. What if it rains when your out? What if it rains when your in and your left with a basket full of wet clothes? Will stuff dry in the cold air? Do you leave it over night? We have an inside drying rack but stuff takes like 2 days to dry on it.

I'm not a proper person sad

We've just brought our first house, last month I googled "how to mop a floor" +sigh+

Dawndonnaagain Sun 08-Dec-13 15:05:51

An over the bath airer is good, bung on, shut bathroom door to keep heat in.
Having said that, I do have both a tumble and a Lakeland airer. I do really like the airer and it warms the conservatory, too.

laughingeyes2013 Sun 08-Dec-13 12:10:23

I dry on a rack as spaced out as possible to allow air to circulate. I also straighten clothes with my hands as I go to help reduce ironing.

Whether you take the worse of the moisture out on an outside line in the winter depends on how much sun you get. Constant shade simply won't dry the same.

As for rain (all year round), you go by a combination of; the weather forecast, simple old fashioned looking at the sky, and pot-luck. It is Britain after all! I personally can't be bothered in the winter as it doesn't fully dry and it rains more.

If it rains in the summer I either grab the washing in quickly (if it won't be too wet) or leave it until the sun shines again - eventually it will dry.

All year round I'd take the washing in before the evening damp/dusk as the dried washing otherwise becomes damp again.

I use a tumble dryer but I've never had a heated dryer so can't comment, except to say that because it uses electricity you might not be too keen.

Hope that helps!

Mia4 Sun 08-Dec-13 11:54:03

Lol, i have to admit that I missed it was a 'we', I thought it was just OP! Youtube is good for many 'how do i do this' OP.

cjel Sun 08-Dec-13 11:40:34

Birds - too busy doing all the washing they tell us they don't dofgrin?

Where the hell are the usual Feminists telling her to get her DH to take it the Laundrette? and questioning whether he's a "proper person" because obviously he doesn't know either grin.

BionicEmu Sun 08-Dec-13 11:20:12

I have a ceiling airer like this: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BPPQPI0

(I paid a lot less than that though, think I got it on eBay)

I like it a lot more than most of the other ceiling airers because each rod is independently controlled, so you don't have to heft the entire thing up & down. And full of clothes, I really do mean heft, they weigh a tonne!

Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 10:33:21
Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 10:26:20

I thought that too bertie, although the one we have is this one which looks similarly unstable, but isn't (unless you have stuff on one end and not the other). Although i have bent one of the wings - i can't imagine that happening to the amazing one my mil has. I'm tempted to get her to bring me one back from italy, although that seems ridiculous.

Mia4 Sun 08-Dec-13 10:23:38

OP December/Jan/Feb are bad for drying outside. If you can get a heated airer then def look into it. Make sure you do a seperate full speed spin on any heavy items jeans, towels etc) after your wash has finished- wring out all that water.

When it gets warmer then peg your clothes up and out. In very warm weather i peg out before work, or leave over night. If it gets rained on, leave it to dry unless more rain is due. In which case spin the clothes and hang on the airer.

Quoteunquote Sun 08-Dec-13 10:11:25

we use lots of these you can find decent strong ones, with proper hooks on top,

At this time of the year, we put the washing directly on them, put the washing on the line outside, then bring in quickly if it rains, still on the hangers, and we have stainless steel screw eyes fixed into the ceiling ( joists) all over the place, so just put them up on those and they dry over night.

be careful what you put in the tumble dryer, it tends to ruin a lot of clothes

BertieBowtiesAreCool Sun 08-Dec-13 09:59:31

That one looks OK Janek but the bottom supports are very close together so I would worry it may be unstable. We have a rickety one (Also living in Germany!) but the base is pretty wide and it doesn't fall over unless you put heavy stuff on one end and nothing on the other.

I had the upright one back in the UK and found it great as it doesn't take up much floor space, plus you can fold in one side and you can fold down individual layers to accommodate long things like trousers and towels.

comingintomyown Sun 08-Dec-13 09:04:16

Janek thank you for the advice that second one is a good discount . On a separate note why would someone buying an airer buy an upright dustpan and brush ? Those customers who bought bits on Amazon make me smile !

Mousmous washing obsessed as I am that drier is very expensive

Anyway I am just happy I don't seem to be alone in considering these matters to be of great importance !

Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 09:02:45

Spooky cross-post mous

Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 09:01:47
feelingfuckingfestiveok Sun 08-Dec-13 08:55:55

Im going to fucking order a heted drier, they kepp popping up on threads all over and Im fed up. even if I didnt have a laundry problem i want one so I dont feel bloody left out (rant over as you were MN)

mousmous Sun 08-Dec-13 08:55:26

I have this leifheit wing airer
very sturdy.
agree with others, those
X
X
style clothes horses have the rungs to close together so air can not circulate very well.

Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 08:52:48

this one has better reviews though, the main complaint seems to be 'takes up too much space' and 'falls over in the wind'. I prop mine up between two garden chairs. All airers blow away if you don't, don't they?

Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 08:47:33

comingintomyown be wary of one you buy in england, my one from bettaware is not as capacious as the one my in-laws have in italy, nor as sturdy. And i think mine is supposed to be 18m, that argos one is only 14m.

Some friends bought a lakeland one, which was apparently rubbish, so they returned it. And you can get them in ikea, but they look small and flimsy too. My one, which i thought was fine, now has a bent arm as i draped a towel over it and it gradually bent as the day went on. It's still usable, but now seems much more crap.

I am currently frantically googling and my preliminary investigations reveal this one from vileda (which might be foreign and therefore good!).

Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 08:41:41

Oh, they are sometimes called table-style airers too, vileda do one.

comingintomyown Sun 08-Dec-13 08:32:38

BertieBowtiesarecool I think I love you ! I brought back an air drier that you linked from Italy years ago and was worrying only yesterday about how I would replace it little knowing all I need is a trip to Argos !

I would never have stuff draped over radiators ,horrible to look at and the cause of condensation problems

OP get the cheaper airer that Bertie linked they are brilliant

Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 08:26:31

Can i second what someone up there ^ said about 'balcony airers'. I've lived in germany and been on holiday to italy and everyone has one, presumably due to the prevalence of apartment living.

They are brilliant - no clothes overlap, you can use pegs so things hang a single layer thick, rather than overlapping themselves, like you would on a washing line, and you can put the airer outside without the washing blowing off (cos of the pegs), but get a full load in quickly (carry in the airer) if it starts to rain.

I also use mine with the arms folded in to finish off line-dried washing - we don't have an airing cupboard, but i fold and spread out the washing on top of the airer and leave it in front of the woodburner overnight and by morning it's dry as a bone. And already folded so i can just put it away.

I didn't know they were called balcony airers, now i do i may be able to replace the one i have from bettaware which is on its last legs.

poppy77 Sun 08-Dec-13 08:18:55

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this solution:

1) ignore washing all week
2) spend a day shoving loads of washing into washing machine whenever you walk past
3) put all washing into big bags and place in car with children and dog
4) take washing to laundrette, place in one or two of their lovely big tumble dryers
5) about 6 pounds and one dog walk later, remove wonderfully soft and dry clean clothe and take home
6) sort all clothes out at the same time

Well worth 6 pounds imho, I don't have the space for a tumble dryer and I'm sure it would not cost much less to run/buy one anyway, and I barely have space in our tiny house/garden for drying clothes (plus I can now have the heating on noticeably less).

PrimalLass Sun 08-Dec-13 08:12:31

save up and get a good condenser model

Mine was only about £200. The last one I had (Hotpoint) took forever to dry, but my new one is fantastic:

ao.com/product/DCU7230W-Beko-Condenser-Tumble-Dryer-White-23584.aspx

Nojustalurker Sun 08-Dec-13 08:10:55

And the Kim and Aggie how clean is your house book it good for learning the basics of house work.

Nojustalurker Sun 08-Dec-13 08:09:51

No sure if this. Had already been said so here it goes, if you are drying you must open the window in te room to prevent damp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now