I'm 28 and have no idea how to dry clothes.

(83 Posts)
Buddhagirl Sat 07-Dec-13 18:57:32

Iabu to use AIBU for advice.

But, how do you use a washing line? Dryer is too expensive so dh and I brought a outside washing line but I don't really get it. What if it rains when your out? What if it rains when your in and your left with a basket full of wet clothes? Will stuff dry in the cold air? Do you leave it over night? We have an inside drying rack but stuff takes like 2 days to dry on it.

I'm not a proper person sad

We've just brought our first house, last month I googled "how to mop a floor" +sigh+

Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 10:26:20

I thought that too bertie, although the one we have is this one which looks similarly unstable, but isn't (unless you have stuff on one end and not the other). Although i have bent one of the wings - i can't imagine that happening to the amazing one my mil has. I'm tempted to get her to bring me one back from italy, although that seems ridiculous.

Janek Sun 08-Dec-13 10:33:21
BionicEmu Sun 08-Dec-13 11:20:12

I have a ceiling airer like this: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BPPQPI0

(I paid a lot less than that though, think I got it on eBay)

I like it a lot more than most of the other ceiling airers because each rod is independently controlled, so you don't have to heft the entire thing up & down. And full of clothes, I really do mean heft, they weigh a tonne!

Where the hell are the usual Feminists telling her to get her DH to take it the Laundrette? and questioning whether he's a "proper person" because obviously he doesn't know either grin.

cjel Sun 08-Dec-13 11:40:34

Birds - too busy doing all the washing they tell us they don't dofgrin?

Mia4 Sun 08-Dec-13 11:54:03

Lol, i have to admit that I missed it was a 'we', I thought it was just OP! Youtube is good for many 'how do i do this' OP.

laughingeyes2013 Sun 08-Dec-13 12:10:23

I dry on a rack as spaced out as possible to allow air to circulate. I also straighten clothes with my hands as I go to help reduce ironing.

Whether you take the worse of the moisture out on an outside line in the winter depends on how much sun you get. Constant shade simply won't dry the same.

As for rain (all year round), you go by a combination of; the weather forecast, simple old fashioned looking at the sky, and pot-luck. It is Britain after all! I personally can't be bothered in the winter as it doesn't fully dry and it rains more.

If it rains in the summer I either grab the washing in quickly (if it won't be too wet) or leave it until the sun shines again - eventually it will dry.

All year round I'd take the washing in before the evening damp/dusk as the dried washing otherwise becomes damp again.

I use a tumble dryer but I've never had a heated dryer so can't comment, except to say that because it uses electricity you might not be too keen.

Hope that helps!

Dawndonnaagain Sun 08-Dec-13 15:05:51

An over the bath airer is good, bung on, shut bathroom door to keep heat in.
Having said that, I do have both a tumble and a Lakeland airer. I do really like the airer and it warms the conservatory, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now