I'm 28 and have no idea how to dry clothes.

(83 Posts)
Buddhagirl Sat 07-Dec-13 18:57:32

Iabu to use AIBU for advice.

But, how do you use a washing line? Dryer is too expensive so dh and I brought a outside washing line but I don't really get it. What if it rains when your out? What if it rains when your in and your left with a basket full of wet clothes? Will stuff dry in the cold air? Do you leave it over night? We have an inside drying rack but stuff takes like 2 days to dry on it.

I'm not a proper person sad

We've just brought our first house, last month I googled "how to mop a floor" +sigh+

I line dry all year round, washing machine goes on first thing as soon as I get up, I normally load it the night before. Then it's out by 8am unless rain forecast, in at dusk and onto the airers. 98% of stuff is dry by morning with towels and jeans on radiators. You have to be quite organised but it can be done. This Friday gone I got three loads done and dried, all dry by Saturday morning. It was cold, but sunny and blowing a gale here so clothes were nearly dry by dusk and just needed a touch of finishing off.

Oh, have been doing this since tumble dryer blew up and we couldn't afford a new one. We can afford one now, but I'm happy to manage without one, and I have 3 young children (6,3 and 1).

I've been really surprised at how well our clothes have been drying on the line outside I think because its dry and windy. We put them out and also have a sheila maid inside. They lose most of moisture outside and just warm up and finish off inside. Sheila maid...or the cheaper kitchen maids are great

DeathMetalMum Sat 07-Dec-13 20:36:26

Our garden is total shade but can still dry a load during winter on a dry day. Agree with bringing in an hour before dark as it starts to get damp. I often put half on the line and half indoors - quick drying things indoors can dry in half a day. Or whole load out and bring in in a few goes so I can air in smaller amounts.

puntasticusername Sat 07-Dec-13 20:37:57

Is the 3-tier Lakeland one really worth spending 90-odd quid? Really really?

PrimalLass Sat 07-Dec-13 20:38:54

I have a tumble dryer. A full load dries in 45 minutes and costs about 25p.

PrimalLass Sat 07-Dec-13 20:40:26

Is the 3-tier Lakeland one really worth spending 90-odd quid? Really really?

Not in my opinion.

Yika Sat 07-Dec-13 20:42:42

Oh and laundry smells so lovely if it's line dried. That fresh air smell, unbeatable! Also, if you line dry in the sun it will keep your whites nice and bright as it has a bleaching effect.

Vintagecakeisstillnice Sat 07-Dec-13 20:44:16

I love my Lakeland dryer.

I'm baffled op. Did you have a maid until you moved in with dh?

mousmous Sat 07-Dec-13 20:50:41

nah, just a lot less laundry and a tumble dryer.

squeakytoy Sat 07-Dec-13 20:53:27

how on earth can you get to the age of 28 and not know how to mop a floor or dry clothes.. honestly??? how??

fatlazymummy Sat 07-Dec-13 20:54:03

I also find these useful, for drying/airing clotheshttp://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/424088592/Over_the_Door_Hook_single.html
I have quite a few, they fit on doors and wardrobe doors.

Morloth Sat 07-Dec-13 20:55:39

Get a tumble dryer for winter and an outdoor line for summer.

How have you been drying your clothes fir the prrvious 28 years?

fatlazymummy Sat 07-Dec-13 20:55:44
DipMeInChocolate Sat 07-Dec-13 20:56:41

I have a dehumidifier next to the airer. It makes a difference not having the clothes on the radiators. The house is warmer leading to the clothes drying better too.

squeakytoy Sat 07-Dec-13 20:57:50

I also find it beyond belief that two adults capable of buying a home together have no idea between them either!

specialsubject Sat 07-Dec-13 21:04:29

no-one born knowing this stuff!

wash according to weather forecast. Washing will dry throughout the year on windy days if it isn't raining. Consider some kind of canopy under which you can put a line, as long as the wind can get through.

if you have an airing cupboard use it to finish things off.
do not dry clothes on radiators, wrecks the house with damp and wastes energy.

and please remember that 'like' is not a preposition.

Buddhagirl Sat 07-Dec-13 21:08:35

Mummys tumble dryer :/

Oldraver Sat 07-Dec-13 21:25:48

Our tumble dryer broke last winter and we havn't repaired it yet. I do a combination of drying on radiators (underwear on each owners radiator) in the airing cupboard. I also iron some things as they come out the washer and hang them up in the airing cupboard

DrDre Sat 07-Dec-13 21:31:45

I stick it on a clothes horse next to a dehumidifier, it then dries really quickly.

SpikeyChristmasTree Sat 07-Dec-13 21:41:03

Lakeland heated airer is fab, I use that and a dehumidifier in winter. Can't stand having stuff on the radiators.

At my last house we had a bigger kitchen and had a rack than hung from the ceiling, it was brill, but my present kitchen isn't big enough.

mawbroon Sat 07-Dec-13 22:17:38

We have a pulley in the empty space at the top of the stairs. All the warm air travels up there and clothes can be washed in the evening and dry by morning - or at least during the winter when the storage heaters are on at night.

CerealKillerMom Sat 07-Dec-13 22:30:22

www.amazon.co.uk/White-Knight-28009W-Gravity-Drain/dp/B007BMSL60/ref=sr_1_1?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1386455196&sr=1-1

I second the spin dryer.

Takes most of the water out. Just get some laundry bags to stop woollies from stretching. Also will help stop mold from condensation forming in your house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now