AIBU to be incredibly disappointed and think you all lied to me?

(140 Posts)

I did a maintenance wash on my washing machine yesterday.

There were not mountains of bubbles. There were no bubbles.

I blame all of you for my disappointment.

Nessalina Tue 10-Dec-13 12:25:54

Having a domestic goddess day, so going to try this maintenance wash thing! grin If I don't have any vinegar or anything, should I just wash it empty on its hottest wash?

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 11:31:50

Most of it does but the bacteria and dirt and mold will not completely unless you have the agents that are included in biological powder so it sticks to parts of the machine this is much worse if the bit that surrounds your drum is plastic (so most modern machines).

Because these agents are not in any liquid on the market (apparently customers don't like to vigorously shake every time they use and that's why there not) that's why liquid can cause problems unless you add a product containing enzymes and bleaching agents so it makes it a bit of a waste using it,unless you alternate between liquid and powder.

diddl Tue 10-Dec-13 10:03:01

You'd think that liquid would get washed through the machine when it rinses, wouldn't you?

I was told that liquid was better than powder as powder is what causes all the gunk so since getting a new machine I've been using liquid [good price at costco] smile but now I am not so sure!?
Also, I did a maintenance wash on my dear old machine and think I killed it, the stink afterwards was like a dead animal and there was water over the floor not so much a domestic goddess as I thought hmm
And soap nuts, who'd have thunk it eh?

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 08:35:51

LittleBabyPig.

They don't but its understandable why lots of people think that.

The liquid thing is because its not currently possible for a liquid detergent to contain the bleaching agents and additives that keep your machine clean and working so long term they contribute towards mold and machine deposits and stuff that means your machine does not work effectively.

diddl Tue 10-Dec-13 07:36:54

What's wrong with liquid?

LittleBabyPigsus Tue 10-Dec-13 06:41:02

Washing powder packaging says you need FAR more than you actually need. It's so you run out and have to buy more!

I am a bit boggled that people never realised you can descale with vinegar! You could also use lemon juice. Smells a bit nicer!

Talla use whatever essential oil you like! Cheapest place to get them are the DIY beauty/hippy sellers on ebay. Maybe a citrus oil, or lemongrass? Geranium is nice if you like floral scents. You can also use more than one, lemon and lavender or orange and geranium are nice combos.

monicalewinski Tue 10-Dec-13 00:42:19
monicalewinski Tue 10-Dec-13 00:37:14

I never had to descale my kettle when we lived in Scotland and the scaly English water has deflowered my gorgeous kettle (I really love my kettle).

I shall pop some vinegar in and boil it tomorrow morning and see if it works!

My maintenance wash worked a treat by the way, lovely clean machine.

TallalittletownofBethlehem Tue 10-Dec-13 00:31:43

I don't knooooow.

I thought lime scale was just something you put up with in the bottom of your tea. Unless you were posh and used leaves, and a teapot and one of those tiny little colander type affairs.

I have been grievously mislead.

<<fills kettle with vinegar, boils it>>

Nessalina Tue 10-Dec-13 00:22:00

I feel compelled to confess that I use Bold 2 in 1 liquid.

<runs away to hide in shame>

monicalewinski Tue 10-Dec-13 00:11:44

Vinegar descales kettles?????????

I have missed that post Talla.

What do I do? Vinegar and water and boil the kettle?

TallalittletownofBethlehem Tue 10-Dec-13 00:05:28

Vinegar descales kettles shock

+misses point of thread entirely+

But, say, if one hated the smell of lavender what essential oil would you use instead? If tea tree, would it make the clothes tingly?

+boggles+

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 09-Dec-13 22:37:03

I was actually agreeing with you that cheap detergent is fine,

However I will disagree about using less than it says as its a ineffective cost saving exorcise using less (this only applies to powder not liquid liquid is a huge mistake full stop ) means it does not help out our machine as much this can lead to the machine getting poorly and needing replacement

LittleBabyPigsus Mon 09-Dec-13 22:27:14

Cheap washing powder is fine - Aldi and Lidl own brands are great. You do need much less than the packaging says.

My drawer is in the dishwasher as we speak...

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 09-Dec-13 21:57:15

I'm actually ashamed to admit I know this and in RL if anybody asked I would deny it but,

Cheap washing powder is often only a version of a premium brand but from a year or so ago, when a premium brand upgrades (for that read piss arses about without need) its product it then sells the recipe or what ever its called on into the own brand market.

Apparently they used to just make the own brand stuff

(Disclaimer it was a very drunk supermarket buyer who told me this)

Lj8893 Mon 09-Dec-13 05:35:24

I've just purchased some soap nuts thanks to this thread, and being up at 5am doing a night feed. I'm excited to try them out!

LittleBabyPigsus Mon 09-Dec-13 03:54:25

Yes don't quite get the Vanish thing. Maybe try a tablespoon of cheapo bio powder (supermarket economy brand is perfectly fine) plus vinegar? Using less bio powder is still pretty eco-friendly, you really don't need as much as the packaging says.

Or you can make your own powder with soap flakes, borax substitute (get this from Savers or from Amazon/ebay) and washing soda.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 09-Dec-13 03:31:08

annie

Don't polish your Eco halo to quickly,vanish is just a very slightly concentrated version of biological washing powder sold at a grossly inflated price,

You would be better off not bothering with the soap nuts for your whites and just using a bio powder from a Eco and cost perspective.

LittleBabyPigsus Sun 08-Dec-13 17:59:09

Kitbit you can just put the vinegar in the drum.

FastWindow Sun 08-Dec-13 17:53:43

Cheers nanny that's magic grin

digerd Sun 08-Dec-13 17:21:29

I leave the door ajar to let it air after washing.

Meerkatwhiskers Sun 08-Dec-13 17:03:33

*just

Meerkatwhiskers Sun 08-Dec-13 17:03:06

Well I cleaned my fliter, I smelt rank and all that was in there was a black 20p and some soapy gunk.

I also did a maintenance wash which I did wrong according to that link as I did a cycle with a prewash (I don't normally use a prewash cycle but thought it would provide maximum benefit for maintenance purposes). My machine only goes up to 80 degrees so whacked it on that and the bastard took 3 hours. However it doesn't smell anymore (was really musty and horrible although clothes smelt fine and of my washing liquid/softener combo).

However, I think the machine protested about it as I've jus finished a proper load and opened the door and it hadn't drained properly so my kitchen turned into Lake Geneva! angry Popped it on another spin and drain cycle and haven't dared open the door again hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now