Chicken pox parties

(214 Posts)
RosebudTheCat Sat 07-Dec-13 12:19:18

A relative has asked if I'd like to expose my two kids to her DD, who has chicken pox. My youngest is just 8mo. AIBU to think it was a stupid question to ask? Do people really still do 'chicken pox parties'?

DazzleU Sat 07-Dec-13 14:20:39

I'd LOVE to take mine to an event where I knew they would catch it & I could plan for it coming,

Ha Ha Ha.

My DC got exposed naturally many times - DC they were with coming down after spending time with them ie when they were contagious just prior to spots in some case just hours before.

DD2 was in nursery with them coming down like flies but never got chicken pox herself and still hasn't.

The older two came down in late school summer holidays just before eldest started nursery having had little exposure to other DC and none to anyone I heard subsequently came down with chicken pox.

My MIL never had any childhood illnesses not one - her mother was so worried she took her to GP. She has had perfect health throughout adulthood and is now in her 60's.

It may be contagious doesn't mean you have control over timetable when or if your DC come down with it - you can increase the risks of them catching it but if you want control why not vaccinate as it would be safer?

I was aware there was a vaccine - one of my siblings was badly scarred so thought about it - but our GP wasn't enthusiast or helpful and didn't consider it necessary then older two came down with it so we didn't pursue it.

QOD Sat 07-Dec-13 14:21:29

If you catch it, meh, if it's doing the rounds at school, meh, if it's going round nursery, meh, risk it, they might catch it, they might not, that's life.

Put them in with other children in the oozing stage and encourage sharing of toys, kissing etc and then look at niece 20 yrs later who hasn't got the life she was meant to have?

Fucking stupid risk.

PaperMover Sat 07-Dec-13 14:21:45

We got our dd immunised against chicken pox when she was 3, we would have done it prior to her starting nursery if we had been aware there was a vaccine then. Two injections at £60 each, not cheap but what price is peace of mind; and cheaper than if she had got it and someone had to take time off work to look after her. Our local NHs hospital did it in their private outpatient unit for holiday jabs smile

PaperMover Sat 07-Dec-13 14:24:27

Our gp said we Shouldn't get her vaccinated against it because children have to get ill sometimes, and where would we stop.

Rufustherednosedreindeer Sat 07-Dec-13 14:24:37

How do people know they have immunity?

There is a vaccine for shingles now also.

DazzleU Sat 07-Dec-13 14:38:04

How do people know they have immunity?

They may need a blood test to check if they are immune (protected from) chickenpox.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/Chickenpox/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I thought it would be a blood test - but I don't think it's common to actually test.

Both my DCs got chickenpox naturally and neither had a bad time, but I would never have exposed them to it deliberately as I was that rare case of a child who becomes seriously ill with it. According to my Mum I was more ill with chickenpox than with measles and I was looking in to getting the DCs vaccinated when the eldest caught it, and then predictably two weeks later the youngest got it too.

WilsonFrickett Sat 07-Dec-13 15:29:31

IMO there's accepting the risk your child will get CP at some point in their life, and that chances are it's likely to be a minor childhood illness and everything will be fine. But you know at the back of your mind there's a tiny, tiny risk it will be more serious.

Then there's running headlong towards that risk saying 'here! here! infect us over here!'. Now the outcome will probably be the same - minor illness and everything is fine - but if it did turn into something more serious, knowing you had caused that infection to happen? That is going to seriously fuck with your head.

Rufustherednosedreindeer Sat 07-Dec-13 17:48:13

I hear plenty of people say they have immunity but I don't know of many who have been tested

I don't think some of them know for definate, they just think they are immune

I get the point that were it to become serious you would feel guilty, but really it is logical enough. Get it over with while they are a) young, b) in good health otherwise, c) at a convenient time - not at xmas or just before you fly off on holiday.

ProudAS Sat 07-Dec-13 18:52:39

DH had CP as an adult and wishes he had been exposed deliberately as a child.

Pox parties have almost certainly prevented more brain damage and complications than they have caused by preventing people from catching it as adults or when ill with something else (when the risks are much higher).

Vaccine sounds even better but not read reasons as to why its not normal in UK.

Rufustherednosedreindeer Sat 07-Dec-13 19:26:48

I was thrown into every house which contained a poxy or measles infested child when I was little

Never caught anything, until I was 38 and caught it from ds1 who had it for the second time

We had DD vaccinated. It cost £100 in total for 2 jabs and for me that is a bargain to avoid a week off work and a poorly child. I would have felt terrible if I had deliberately exposed her to CP and she went on to have significant complications.

goldenlula Sat 07-Dec-13 20:16:58

I personally would not deliberately expose mine to it but they have been exposed numerous times accidentally and at 8,5 and 2 they still haven't caught it. In some ways I wish they would as I feel like I spend half my life on spot watch because they have been in contact with some one who has within a day or two come out with cp!
Last year ds2 was shut in a car for 15 mins and had previous to this been play fighting and sharing a drink with a child, who, when they got home, turned out to be coming out in spots on his tummy etc and had cp. still ds2 didn't get it!

ProudAS Sun 08-Dec-13 09:08:52

If you have 2 or more DCs who haven't had CP do bear in mind that them catching it naturally will probably mean one after the other so more time off work and second one getting it worse.

Deliberately exposing a baby must be a bad idea though as they often don't develop immunity.

ProudAS Sun 08-Dec-13 09:14:08

QOD that's awful but if she'd caught it naturally as an adult the risks would have been far greater. The plus side would have been the parents not feeling to blame.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 08-Dec-13 12:34:46

i have been to and hosted wink cp parties - as a nanny often the parents want the kids to get it

one job we went to a 3rd bday party and popped out in spots day later and within 2 weeks every child at that party who hadnt had cp came out in it - but i didnt know charge was going to pop, so wasnt deliberate iyswim

last perm job was in for 5 years and tried so hard to get younger 2 to have cp, older child got at 3, and failed, last day there i saw a chikd with cp and out they popped 2 weeks later for the new nanny - whoops lol

seriously i think its better for children to get when younger, rather then have as a adult, dp was very ill when caught cp/shingles off his then 3yr daughter

you cant catch shingles. it is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus that you would have had in the past.

you can get chicken pox from direct contact with the fluid from shingles blisters but not shingles fron contact with chicken pox

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 08-Dec-13 12:40:59

tho i wouldnt delib expose now as xmas is 2 weeks away

LittleMilla Sun 08-Dec-13 12:50:28

Ds1 took part in a flu vaccine trial last year where they gave cp and hep a(I think) as the other jabs - you didn't know at time which we got.

When I found out it was cp I was delighted and he's getting booster tomorrow. I remember having it as a child and it was miserable! Planning to pay for ds2 who's five mo to be immunised.

Cannot imagine purposefully making my child I'll hmm.

CruCru Sun 08-Dec-13 12:53:06

I'm trying to decide whether to get DS the vaccination. I had the vaccination (2 shots a month apart) between pregnancies (I was tested while pregnant with DS and had no immunity) and it made me less anxious when I was pregnant with DD (now 9 weeks).

Have any of you got your kids vaccinated?

Sorry to derail a bit.

cardamomginger Sun 08-Dec-13 13:00:17

I think part of the reason why some people are so pro cp parties is that immunisation is not included in the childhood programme on the NHS. this leads people to think that it is a minor illness that is really just an inconvenience, so it is better to get it out of the way when they are young and at your convenience.

I don't know what I think of them tbh. I had it as an adult and was very I'll. I wish I had had it as a young child - but that is based on the assumption that it would have been less serious. as people have reported here, it can be serious for a child.

we paid for DD to have the vaccination.

Sirzy Sun 08-Dec-13 13:00:49

I can't understand deliberately exposing your child to any infectious disease. DS had chicken pox in the summer and just avoided being hospitalised.

There is currently a big outbreak at his school and because of that I had to keep him off longer after a course of steroids because although the chances of him catching it would have been slim it could have been nasty.

I always wonder if those who deliberately expose children to chicken pox keep their child away from everyone who is immuno suppressed for the incubation period?

rednellie Sun 08-Dec-13 13:09:39

Does anyone else think the fact they've introduced the shingles vaccine for 70 and 79 yr olds this year means they might be working up to including the varicela vaccine?

Our dd got done as we were living in Canada, the boys Christmas preset this year will be the vaccine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now