To wonder what year 7 pupils get from building a castle model

(196 Posts)
Verycold Sat 07-Dec-13 11:23:09

In history? What is the point?? How does it actually improve their higher level history skills?

ChippyMinton Sat 07-Dec-13 11:47:27

OP, I am with you on this one. I have absolutely not just finished making his castle, oh no not at all <sits on paint-spattered hands>. He has better things to do than fanny around with cardboard and glue. I am hoping for a good grade and a merit point though.

Quite clearly the school is shite. Withdraw her immediately. fhmm

fairylightsatchristmas Sat 07-Dec-13 11:50:20

I do exactly this task with my Y7s and in RS they build synagogues. They can do it on minecraft, build in lego or biscuits if they like! They don't just do the basic shape, they do working drawbridges, wire up little lights to batteries etc. Plenty to tech and science in there. The idea is also to give an alternative to the endless writing that they do so that those who don't shine at that skill get their chance. Last year one of the weakest boys in the class who always gets "much try harder" type comments, got merits and his model kept to use an example for this year. He has just asked me if I have shown the new Y7s and was SO chuffed when I said yes. (And some of the Y7s have found him and told him how great it was.) They also have the option on doing it in pairs so maybe your DD could team up with someone a bit more handy? I am really surprised you say you are a teacher if you don't understand this fairly basic pedagogical idea.

natwebb79 Sat 07-Dec-13 11:51:49

Chippy - well done for giving your DS the message that his teacher is somebody who can be disrespected and that work set is optional depending on whether his mum thinks it's worth doing. That attitude will do him the world of good in the long run confused

Shente Sat 07-Dec-13 11:52:37

I can't believe your attitude, do you also feel that educational visits to castles etc are a waste of time? After all they could just read and write essays about them. And your arrogance in assuming your dd's learning style is the only one that should be catered for is astounding.

Feminine Sat 07-Dec-13 11:53:51

very cold

You sound like a right odd bod.

Yr 7 is hardly 18.

some of them have just turned 11 in August!

You should know that not all kids learn by writing essays.

My son has dysgraphia it actually hurts him to write!

Verycold Sat 07-Dec-13 12:14:00

Are you honestly all saying that your heart doesn't sink ag this type of h/w? The sourcing of materials, the parental input required... I work full time and have two other children, one with sn. It's just an extra hassle I could do without. Why can't there be the option to label z diagram for those who can't do it? I don't want to take anything away for those who love it, but I just want the choice!

ChippyMinton Sat 07-Dec-13 12:15:10

natwebb79 - that's a bit harsh. He certainly does not get that message, and history is one of his favourite subjects. He spent the time producing several awesome written pieces (that is his strength btw - he got a level 6 in his English SATS), and is out for the entire weekend following his other interests.

Feminine Sat 07-Dec-13 12:15:49

little bit of backtracking there very

that should have been your original post shouldn't it? wink

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Sat 07-Dec-13 12:18:02

very I do get your point, I think the school should provide materials but in this case if they haven't, your y7 boy surely can go and source them himself.. help you with your weekly shop perhaps and add the stuff he needs? You don't have to do anything for him, he's old enough to do it himself.

ChippyMinton Sat 07-Dec-13 12:18:25

DS would've leapt at the opportunity to do this piece using Minecraft.
I alos work, have 2 other DC, one on whom is also building a model. OUr dining table looks like the Blue Peter studio. Over the years we 've done greek pots more than once, endless costumes, models, etc and I would like to stop now please.

Rosencrantz Sat 07-Dec-13 12:19:31

A much more reasonable post OP!

You can't be arsed to do it! Not that you refuse to see the task's value and oppose it on those grounds.

As a teacher do you set different homework for each child depending on their home circumstances?

I personally love this type of thing. Ds isn't at school yet, but I've helped neighbours kids before. But then I'm a crafty person.

However, at 11, shouldn't your DD be "sourcing" her own materials and completing the bulk of it herself?

Ever wondered if Dds hatred of model making stems from the attitudes she is surrounded by?

NoComet Sat 07-Dec-13 12:21:05

How to ice a carved cake, without getting in a crumbly mess and enjoy eating it.

DD1's projects have taught her how to cast metal (because DH had a serve was dying to plat with) and how to say a huge thank you to your DM.

(I quite enjoyed making her WE2 model, but..)

Hollyandbooze Sat 07-Dec-13 12:21:22

VAK learning.
Reciprocity.

Fun.

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Sat 07-Dec-13 12:21:26

Sorry got DD and DS mixed up, please swap my his and he's for hers!

NoComet Sat 07-Dec-13 12:21:53

set he wanted to play with

soverylucky Sat 07-Dec-13 12:21:53

I find your attitude to work puzzling. Whilst at school I had to participate in a variety of different tasks from model building to screen printing, burning things to writing essays, running round a cold field to singing with a choir. A good school will offer a broad range of different activities. We can't do what we want to do all the time. There was a very good article that I read recently about how children now have too much choice in their life - they can constantly chose what they want to do when actually sometimes it would be better for them to be told what to do even if they didn't want to do it. I wish I could find the link for it. Some children will have making the model just as some will hate writing an essay. As for 'sourcing' materials - surely you find stuff from round the house? If you are really struggling to find things to make it from then speak to the school. I remember my brother doing this and making it from lego!

Rosencrantz Sat 07-Dec-13 12:22:19

OP how are you coping with food technology?

donttellmetokeepcalm Sat 07-Dec-13 12:24:57

mine made hers out of cake - the whole class ate it. not sure it totally fitted the brief but hey ho....

natwebb79 Sat 07-Dec-13 12:26:58

Chippy - it's still going against what his teacher has asked him to do and therefore podding on his/her fire somewhat. This is why Scandinavian/Asian countries do so much better in the league tables, because parents fully support the teachers' judgement and reinforce messages they learn in school at home.

bigTillyMintspie Sat 07-Dec-13 12:27:58

Verycold, DD had to do this in Y7. Bloody palaver. And she is pretty good at art/creative stuff! Thank God they didn't ask DS to do it when he was in Y7grin

My DDad is 70yo. He made a model of a castle at school. It is one of his fondest memories. he went on to become a Civil Engineer. Maybe the two things are connected? At any rate, it certainly didn't seem to have a detrimental impact on his education.

Perhaps you should simply consider that your child is upholding a tradition of crappy castle building dating back to at least the early 1950s.

Dawndonnaagain Sat 07-Dec-13 12:28:31

It's a visual aid to teach all sorts of things, from which part of the castle is which, to the structure of the society at the time. It covers everyday living; food collection, cooking, eating, to warfare: where the fletcher worked to which parts of the ramparts to fire from.

Doubletroublemummy2 Sat 07-Dec-13 12:29:35

I have an idea, let not get the kids to do anything they or their parents don't want and just give them a sticker at the end of it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now