To think that belief in Father Christmas is not comparable to religious belief.

(1000 Posts)
Throughthelongnight Fri 06-Dec-13 22:20:42

Just that really. I have noticed that the expectation is that we all go along with the pretence of FC for the sake of parent's children's sensibility, but the same is not afforded where religious belief is concerned.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:49:26

£75 and I'll get you some virgins (male, obvs)

redshifter Mon 09-Dec-13 22:49:03

*defuseMon 09-Dec-13 22:30:14

Redshifter: i can quote so many moreDoes my belief in God make you feel uncomfortable*

Yes. You can quote more and so can I. But if I quote some you don't agree with I am told I am taking gods literal wordmout of context. However when you quote some they are all in context.
Brilliant debating tactic.

When you quote god's word, you are right, when I quote god's word I am wrong.

And your belief in god is starting to scare me.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:48:11

God is now telling me that if you don't agree with me you are going to go to hell.
If you pay me £50, I'll sort it.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:47:18

They caused very deep offence.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:45:49

Well Dione - answer that one at least

Galileo and Darwin should have shut up then?

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:45:14

Well maybe they didn't see me as a friend or maybe they weren't very good muslims. I don't know.
So Galileo and Darwin should have shut up then?

FreudiansSlipper Mon 09-Dec-13 22:44:55

<whispers> the muslim psychologist is a woman too

my ex sil's and my ex's aunts are all scientists and they were paid well, studied in the states, uk and france

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 09-Dec-13 22:43:13

Kitten I am confused. If Muslims cannot have non Muslim friends, how come your friend's do?

As for Hitler, he's a therapist's dream. Would I offend him? No. I fail to see what that would achieve. Would I try to change his mind? With everything that I've got and everything that I know. And I know that offense causes peoe to close their ears and minds to what you have to say.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:41:27

Now god is saying that you should all give me a percentage of your income grin

FreudiansSlipper Mon 09-Dec-13 22:41:05

i did not justify paedophilia i am just aware that in the time the koran came about it was not unusual to marry so young

i never said it was right i just know that is what happened

and i am aware of what Islamic Fundamentalism is about and the problem is not people living their life by the koran, or trying to be a good muslim but that humans are flawed and some want to gain power and will use whatever they can to do so for some it is islam

defuse Mon 09-Dec-13 22:39:33

^And I am certainly not the only person saying it. Not just members of the public like myself, but psychologists, neuroscientists, scientists, anyone who needs more proof that an invisible man lives in the sky than a book saying so, etc.

i know quite a few psychologists, some are religious and one is a muslim and still able to do fantastic work^

And i am a scientist by profession - work in genetics as well as biochemistry - do i hear shock, horror and gasps from the atheists!! i believe that i am very rational, logical and have a few degrees too. I believe in God. smile

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:38:54

Ooh, god just told me that I can have Sgt Hathaway from 'Lewis' too.
That's nice.

redshifter Mon 09-Dec-13 22:38:03

I have serious mental health issues and as I said before I did not find anybags posts insulting in anyway.

I did find the responses to her posts upsetting though. Automatically assuming mental illness to be a very negative and insulting thing.

I hate that attitude towards any MH issues.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:37:31

Not close down debate, prove a point.
anyway, now I am the new prophet, you can't disagree with me,

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:35:48

I hope no one will mock me.

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 09-Dec-13 22:35:18

Curlew, sorry I have not responded earlier, this thread is moving very fast.fsmile

You are of course correct when you say that offense is not necessary, nor should "I'm offended" be a get out of jail free card. I think however when someone tells you they are offended, it should give pause for reflection and examination of the statement. Was offense intended? Now that it has been explained, can I see why that person would find what I said offensive? Indeed we were both recently on a thread discussing "That's so gay" where that was the case. Indeed i think such discussions are helpful in the long run.fsmile

I don't think anyone is offended when asked questions are asked of them regarding their religion. But I do think that they are offended when they are ridiculed and I have seen
posters try to turn a discussion into a debate, not so that they can increase their understanding, but so they can turn a conversation into something more combatitive in order to offend and indeed close the discussion down altogether.fsad

redshifter Mon 09-Dec-13 22:34:58

What do you think dione? Were they being carelessly offensive towards my mothers beliefs?
Do you think they hurt my feelings, upsetting me, by automatically thinking their beliefs were superior to my mothers.

That their beliefs have privilege over others and can't be mocked in the same way?

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:34:27

Sorry guys, I've changed my mind, I do believe in god after all. In fact he just told me that I am the next prophet. A bit like what he said to Muhammed, really.
Now he's going to tell me that Daniel Craig has to be my sex slave.

defuse Mon 09-Dec-13 22:33:50

Redshifter: islam tells muslims to treat elderly kindly and with respect. So, it would be unislamic to mock. None of the muslims on here have mocked anyone else's beliefs.

HettiePetal Mon 09-Dec-13 22:33:50

i spoke of my ex mil earlier in reply to some comment made about how muslim people showed no respect to non muslims

Rubbish.

I was trying (and clearly failing) to explain to you about Islamic fundamentalism and how the more extreme it was, the more oppressed people were by it.

You told me that was all nonsense because your MIL has always been nice to you.

You then started to try and justify paedophilia. Is that what respect for faith looks like? Excusing the inexcusable so that people don't get their little feelings hurt?

Sorry. I have moral fibre. And a brain.

FreudiansSlipper Mon 09-Dec-13 22:32:38

And I am certainly not the only person saying it. Not just members of the public like myself, but psychologists, neuroscientists, scientists, anyone who needs more proof that an invisible man lives in the sky than a book saying so, etc.

i know quite a few psychologists, some are religious and one is a muslim shock and still able to do fantastic work

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 09-Dec-13 22:32:03

What do you guys think about scientologists?

defuse Mon 09-Dec-13 22:30:14

Redshifter: i can quote so many more grin

Does my belief in God make you feel uncomfortable?

redshifter Mon 09-Dec-13 22:29:07

When my mother was alive she passionately believed in fairies. Can't you religious people see that when you didmiss her beliefs as stupid and silly, you are doing the exact same thing you complain about me doing.

Can't you see that I might find that very hurtful? But you don't seem to care as long as no one is laughing at your beliefs.

defuse Mon 09-Dec-13 22:27:53

Bags, do you find anybody who does not agree with you silly?

Every argument against you seems to be branded infantile, silly, deluded, mentally ill...you really dont know how to say 'i was wrong for using the term mentally ill in this context' instead you went into a lengthy lecture about mental illness, which convinced no one!

But any mockery or rudeness that comes from you seems to be deemed acceptable - nothing infantile about that huh!

This thread is not accepting new messages.