To be absolutely furious, stressed, angry and in state of panic about this?

(86 Posts)
nicecupoftea2013 Fri 06-Dec-13 17:31:52

There has been restructuring in work, so we had to go for an interview for our jobs. There are enough vacancies for staff as some had left.

My interview went well, a person on the panel said "well done" as we were walking out.

I then get a phone call saying "interview was for another position also (not advertised) and when we spoke to a manager, he said no, he doesn't want you to have the job."

The next day I get a phone call, saying you have failed the interview, you are being made redundant.

I am furious, as I am a great employee. The chair of the interview panel has made sexist comments, and broken confidentiality when he spoke about another candidate. He has done other things too which raises serious questions about his professionalism and integrity.

Unfortunately, the other person on the panel is ambitious and will say anything to keep in favour with the managers.

As a widow, I am really stressed about being made redundant, especially when I have done nothing wrong. Obviously it isn't a nice job with these managers, but I would prefer to work here than be unemployed. I am scared of being unemployed as there is high unemployment in north of England.

I have asked for feedback, but the answers were vague and non committal, saying I didnt score enough points. He rushed through my interview as he had another meeting, and he even answered his mobile phone in somebody elses interview.

I have been treated appallingly by the whole process. Although, I face a risk of being bullied if I stay, I would prefer that to being on the dole.

I am waking up at night panicking and seeing these managers faces.

Misspixietrix Sun 16-Feb-14 07:37:06

OP do you have proof of attending every day in December? Did you have a clocking in/out system you can get hold of?

One thing that occurs to me. They say you can't do "the job" which is very similar or the same as your previous job. Do you have any recent appraisals documenting you doing "the job" perfectly well?
Sorry it's come to tis op sad they sound awful

Surely she doesn't need to prove she attended work? They need to prove either that they gave her notice in advance of that period or that she was meant to be working and didn't turn up,in which case they'd have proof they tried to deal with it at the time? As they would with any employee. I work in a different office from my boss who travels a lot and can go a week without being at her desk but shed still be aware something was up if I didn't turn up for a week and raise it - shed start off worried about me!

Misspixietrix Sun 16-Feb-14 08:01:27

Stealth I was thinking in line of her saying they didn't pay her for December when they should have done. If she has proof she can wave it under their noses and make them pay her what she's owed for that month before tribunal etc.

QOD Sun 16-Feb-14 08:07:19

Oh man, sorry this is still going on

ItitwrongtofancyHarryStyles Sun 16-Feb-14 08:26:56

Sorry you are so stressed. It's a very scary thing to happen and you have my sympathy.

Few points:

When bosses restructure they know exactly who they want in the roles and who they want to take redundancy. It's often why they restructure. They would have gone through it all with lawyers and HR before in blunt terms to see what they can and can't do and will be confident they can drive their plan through.

Also, Stealth, I think it's probably a waste of time OP proving she was doing the job well from appraisals. All they need to say is that another candidate can do it better in their opinion. They can take on whoever they like really.

However they seem to have handled it very badly especially if the new roles is significantly similar to the old one - what a stupid mistake - so I undersand why you are pursuing. The whole process does indeed sound very shoddy.

OP I've got to be honest, I'm concerned by your emotional, angry comments about people on the panel being 'cows' and 'bitches', people are 'unprofessional', 'overly ambitious' and 'arrogant', others going for the role are inferior to you.

I do hope you don't let any of this spill over into any conversations you having during this process or in general in a work environment - you will make yourself not only look unprofessional but also a difficult person to work with. It's unlikely any of them are awful, evil people, they are just people doing a job.

This might all sound harsh, but you need to keep calm, be professional and at this stage of the process keep focussed on what you want to happen. Don't waste your energy on any of the other stuff, it's irrelevant what motivates these people or what their personalities are like.

Harry, surely not though if there are enough jobs to go round and the op is at risk, if she can do the job she should get the job. Who are these "other candidates"?

ItitwrongtofancyHarryStyles Sun 16-Feb-14 09:10:46

Whoever management has in mind! All they have to do is say they believe another candidate can do the job better. It's pretty much that simple (well it is in my industry, I can't speak for other possibly more structured industries).

As I said, people (unfortunately) need to wise up to the fact that if they didn't get the role and they are qualified for that role then it usually means that management, for whatever reason, wanted them out of that role.

Walkingwounded Sun 16-Feb-14 09:13:50

Op do you have legal advice? Really the only way to combat this sort of bullying is by showing them clearly that their position is untenable.

But if there are enough roles for people I struggle to see how they could justify that. Agree if there aren't then it's a different matter

RandomMess Sun 16-Feb-14 10:59:52

Hugs & flowers, this is going to take a long long time to resolve isn't it sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now