To be really sad and upset. RIP Nelson Mandela :-(

(148 Posts)
LittlePeaPod Thu 05-Dec-13 22:35:39

I know I am not but wanted to share the sad news. Loss of a grat man and inspirational leader.

news.sky.com/story/1178430/nelson-mandela-dies-president-confirms

MardyBra Thu 05-Dec-13 23:17:00
HereIsMee Thu 05-Dec-13 23:17:57

It's very sad news. Not so much because of his death as he was ill and frail and it is inevitable that he could not live for eternity, but because of his life and sheer determination in an impossible situation.

thenicknameiwantedisgone Thu 05-Dec-13 23:18:07

Cross posted with many. But you asked IYWBU to be really sad and upset, so in my optician yes YABU as you didn't personally know him.

That doesn't take away my massive respect for the man and his achievements.

LittlePeaPod Thu 05-Dec-13 23:19:04

Mardy it will be awful it does go tits up. It's an opportunity for anyone to post something about Nelson Mandela but they can't be stopped in expressing argument views too. But if they choose too, then so be it. Personally I won't respond to them. It's not why I posted this.

Daddypigsgusset Thu 05-Dec-13 23:20:34

Got to give it to him. It's not every day a terrorist dies of old age is it?

DirtyDancingCleanLiving Thu 05-Dec-13 23:20:45

I find all the 'I can't believe it' and 'I'm so in shock' facebook-type posts really attention seeking and disrespectful.

You are really 'shocked' that a very seriously ill 95 year old man has died? You seriously weren't expecting it? OK.

LittlePeaPod Thu 05-Dec-13 23:21:36

Mardy thanks for sharing other link. I have left a message there too.

softlysoftly Thu 05-Dec-13 23:22:22

What Mardy et al said.

Don't ruin his passing and overshadow his great work with the hysterical breastbeating and grief vulture wailings our falsified media demands.

He was a great and dignified man whose time had come. Remember him that way.

NorthernLebkuchen Thu 05-Dec-13 23:24:44

Nobody is arguing that Mandela was a great leader and a good man. What is being argued with is the need to be 'sad and upset'.

anonacfr Thu 05-Dec-13 23:27:59

Sad and upset not just for his loss but also for the fact that a page of history is turning.
There aren't many great inspirational figures left in this world.

Caitlin17 Thu 05-Dec-13 23:28:57

Sorry but I don't feel sad or upset at all. He was 95 and had been in poor health.

LittlePeaPod Thu 05-Dec-13 23:28:58

I have requested the thread be deleted. I didn't set it up so people could start arguing. Everyone's thoughts and feelings on his passing are personal and I certainly won't challenge those feelings and thoughts.

I don't want this thread to focus on arguing why I or others may feel sad about his passing. People may not agree with how I feel but you know what, I don't care.

LaundryLegoLunch Thu 05-Dec-13 23:29:34

Ah so many voices of reason on this thread. I hate this hysterical, over the top grieving for strangers. I will avoid the news for the next few days whilst every Tom, Dick and Harry give their tedious tributes.

Mandela achieved lots and was admirable in many ways. But a 95 yr old dying is never shocking.

softlysoftly Thu 05-Dec-13 23:33:53

Oh ffs that is equally as dramatic hmm

Laundry ditto.

TreaterAnita Thu 05-Dec-13 23:36:17

It is always sad when someone who has garnered such respect and lived such an incredible life dies, and although he lived to 95 let's not forget that he spent 27 years of that as a political prisoner. It would be odd not to be moved by his death I think.

But I agree that the stories of his failing health over the past couple of years have been quite heartbreaking and I'm glad that his suffering is finally over.

MardyBra Thu 05-Dec-13 23:37:52

"It would be odd not to be moved by his death I think."

I totally agree. It's important to reflect on the legacy of a great man.

Asamumnonsense Thu 05-Dec-13 23:38:44

Super sad news.. shed my little tear.. RIP Mandela :-(

TreaterAnita Thu 05-Dec-13 23:39:03

With the greatest of respect LittlePeaPod perhaps AIBU was not the best place to post?

hakunamatata8 Thu 05-Dec-13 23:40:52

If you dont like the thread, dont let the door hit you on the way out. He had a massive impact on a lot of people, a lot of people died through apatheid, so many uneducated people here it is very sad.

badtime Thu 05-Dec-13 23:41:05

LittlePeaPod, why did you post this in AIBU if you were only interested in posts from people who agree with you?

You must have realised that some people would think you are unreasonable to be 'really sad and upset' about the death of a very ill 95 year old man you didn't know.

thecatfromjapan Thu 05-Dec-13 23:41:45

A life that was an amazing contribution to humanity. I can't help but feel something in me glow, and not be sad, when I think of him.

Arkina Thu 05-Dec-13 23:41:47

I cant get overly emotional about the death of anyone at 95 years of age.

Not when much younger people in the prime of their life die daily and in tragic circumstances. Like those who died in Glasgow this week aged in their 30s 40s and 50s all with so much life ahead of them

that said he was an amazing man may he RIP

creighton Thu 05-Dec-13 23:41:54

I don't think anyone is being hysterical. a few words of tribute is not hysteria. people acknowledge the fact that he helped to move SA from apartheid to a more humane system of government without bloodshed. this is a big thing. I am old enough to remember people saying that the Whites would burn the country down if they were forced out of power in the 70s early 80s that the change has been achieved in the way it has is to be admired.

there has been such terrible news over the last few weeks that this is sad, but it is about a man who tried to contribute to the building of a fair and decent country.

ShoeSmacking Thu 05-Dec-13 23:43:25

He's not a stranger. For every South Africa he's like a father or grandfather. Intellectually we may agree that it's a relief for him, but we are sad and emotional because , irrationally, we wanted him to live forever. He touched people in South Africa in way that is almost impossible to explain. South Africans all over the world will be genuinely mourning for a man who personally changed out lives

Every South African has a Madiba story - the day they met him, or waves at him, or saw him. He was real to us in a way regular politicians/ royalty/ celebrity just aren't.

MardyBra Thu 05-Dec-13 23:44:30

Thanks for sharing that post Shoe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now