Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be sick and tired of dds homework involving me spending two hours teaching her not confirming existing knowledge?

(33 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Sun 01-Dec-13 19:28:45

I am sick and tired of it now.

26 sodding pages it is this week of homework sent home on Friday.

She has covered some and just cannot remember what they are fair enough but some of it she has clearly never heard of at all.

I have supported her heavily in the past (she has learning difficulties) and informed them of this but she is coming up to secondary soon and needs to do it independently.

I have sent it back with a note in the past to say she just did not get it and dd was moaned at because she had another day before it was due but she just did not get it and another day would not have made any difference.

bundaberg Sun 01-Dec-13 19:37:06

i would allow her to do it how she thinks, and tell her to leave anything she doesn';t know
you aren't her teacher and you shouldn't, IMO, be expected to do that each week.

the teacher also needs to know where there are gaps in knowledge.

if it doesn't change then I'd be speaking to the head teacher and saying that until such time as the teacher sets appropriate homework she won't be doing it.

CailinDana Sun 01-Dec-13 19:39:13

Even kids without lds forget what they've been taught so I wouldn't assume anything unfamiliar is new. Y6 children I taught looked at me blankly when I took out a protractor despite the fact that they had used then in Y4 and Y5. However 26 pages is far too much. If she is unable to do a lot of the homework perhaps she needs more support?

Euphemia France Sun 01-Dec-13 19:45:06

26 pages of what?!

cornishcreamtea Sun 01-Dec-13 19:50:16

I dread Maths homework every weekend. My 9 year old dd uses the "my maths" computer programme and you would think it was asking her questions in a foreign language for all she understands of it, or so she says. This weekend was midpoint co ordinates, she said she had never been taught it and did not understand it.
I helped her as best as I could but she gets very frustrated because as far as I can see if you get it wrong it doesn't then give you the correct answers. Am I right in thinking this?
I have written a note to her teacher who just says she has to give it a go and see how she gets on.

moldingsunbeams Sun 01-Dec-13 19:53:27

26 pages of literacy questions sob

bundaberg Sun 01-Dec-13 19:56:21

26 pages is just bloody ridiculous. don't do it.

have you spoken to other parents to see how they feel about it?

LittleBearPad Sun 01-Dec-13 19:57:39

Wouldn't it be better for her teacher to know what she does and doesn't know.

What is a literacy question? What's an example?

Strictly1 Sun 01-Dec-13 20:00:03

26 pages is far too much. Homework is always the biggest topic at parents evening and I know a number of pupils who claim to their parents that they can't do x,y or z to get out of things when they are quote capable. I have had parents get quite cross and nasty claiming its above their child when I could provide evidence that they can do it. Not saying that your daughter is doing this but that homework is a pain on all sides tbh.

phantomnamechanger Sun 01-Dec-13 20:00:18

26 pages? was it multiple choice Qs or something??? even so, 26 pages is a hell of a lot, for anyone never mind a yr 6!

Snowbility Sun 01-Dec-13 20:00:44

Cornish Mymaths has a revision lesson the dcs can do before they start their homework...my dcs usually have to revise a topic before they can do the exercises and I won't help them until they at least try. Then if they don't get it I teach them because it's easier for them to learn a tricky concept one to one than in a classroom scenario. I always make them do it again till they get 100% correct or less than that if it's a silly mistake or they can explain their error - I only care about understanding.

Strictly1 Sun 01-Dec-13 20:02:19

As a teacher I would want her to gave a go (I get fed up of marking parents work as it tells me nothing) and then leave it. Put a time limit on it as nothing is worth all that aggravation, especially at this time of year when everyone is tired etc.

moldingsunbeams Sun 01-Dec-13 20:03:45

I have tried that littleBear,
sending it in half down leaving what she has not understood.
Sending it in with a note.
Sending it in with nothing done and a note when she has got none of it.
Assisting her and sending notes in saying how heavily supported she was.

It looks like it might be a practice test of some kind.

There are around 50 questions.

Some are tick boxes, some are writing sentences some are filling in gaps.

saulaboutme Sun 01-Dec-13 20:04:37

That Is a crazy amount!! Wtf!!

I would have a word with HT to scale this down

moldingsunbeams Sun 01-Dec-13 20:06:34

DD is not capable, she has learning difficulties and goes out for basic literacy help.

CrockedPot Sun 01-Dec-13 20:09:14

26 pages is totally unrealistic imo. what happens if she doesn't do it?

lizzzyyliveson Sun 01-Dec-13 20:10:15

Is it a practice SAT reading paper? You don't need to do this at home. If the school want to prepare the children for the tests then they should make time available during the school day. Take it in to the Head and ask what is going on as it is ridiculous.

Lilacroses Sun 01-Dec-13 20:12:43

26 pages???? That is crazy!! I would be beyond livid about that. I think most children would baulk at that not to mention their parents.

AcrylicPlexiglass Sun 01-Dec-13 20:13:24

26 pages???????
My year 10 kids have nowhere near that amount.

moldingsunbeams Sun 01-Dec-13 20:14:00

Its not the reading paper, I have a feeling it might be the spag test although the front cover has been removed off it so not sure.

I do know dd has gone into meltdown, pulled the christmas tree and decorations down and i have ended up shouting sad

RandomMess Sun 01-Dec-13 20:14:32

I'd honestly be fuming even if my very able top of the year 6 dd was sent home with that!!!!!

I'd expect her to be sent home with something that she should be able to achieve in 30/40 minutes unsupported as an absolute maximum and I would expect a note in with it to say that they only should be spending that length of time on it IYSWIM.

Just what is the point of sending your dd that apart from making her feel disillusioned sad

RandomMess Sun 01-Dec-13 20:15:52

I'm just livid for your dd I really am angry

samels001 Sun 01-Dec-13 20:17:26

Grow a pair and refuse to do it. I am in a similar situation. DS Yr 4 but very young. Recently diagnosed with dyslexia and dyscalculia, but at a state primary school where daily homework is the norm. I lost it at the start of yr 4 where on 1 night he could have done any one of 4 separate homeworks (spellings, reading, timetables, homework). So I saw the teacher, explained that despite the tantrums and issues I would attempt 1 homework per night and could she please give guidance as to which one she considered a priority. That works Ok-ish.

If I did not have an ex-h intent on proving that I am a bad parent with the courts I would have stopped doing h/work altogether and focussed on getting DS foundation up to scratch.

WinterWinds Sun 01-Dec-13 20:22:56

My DD got one of these for maths, but it didn't have to be done in a set time frame or all at home. it was "just do some if you can" the rest was done in school.
I'm not sure what it was for but looked like an activity booklet.

Are you sure it all has to be completed at home?

Just get her to do the bits she can manage and send it back as is. 26 pages is a hell of a lot to complete over the weekend. Hopefully it is a misunderstanding if not I'd be having words with the teacher.

lizzzyyliveson Sun 01-Dec-13 20:26:20

It does sound like its preparation for the summer tests. Is your daughter expected to achieve a Level 3 or above? If she is not then maybe the teacher is desperate to get her to hit this 'floor target' but is going about it in completely the wrong way. I would probably be making an appt with the Head, taking in the homework and explaining the outcome on your daughter's behaviour and stress levels. You don't have to let her sit the papers anyway if you think she isn't coping with the pressure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now