To really dislike the John Lewis Xmas Advert?

(65 Posts)
DirtyDancingCleanLiving Sat 30-Nov-13 22:44:52

I just don't get it.

A bear and a hare...why? Why are they friends?

The hare looks like one of the scary half-dead rabbits from Watership Down. Makes me shudder to look at.

AIBU?

southeastastra Sun 01-Dec-13 21:11:31

aw i saw a little toddler mesmerised by the ad (that was showing instore) in JL today. was v sweet. meh to you all grin

notthefirstagainstthewall Sun 01-Dec-13 21:07:57

theimposter Yes, much more enjoyable ad.

However I didn't remember it was Boots. I will remember JL however because the ad is horrible. What have woodland creatures (from various Continents) got to do with Christmas? Apart from the fact more of them get eaten.

Preciousbane Sun 01-Dec-13 20:58:09

I actually found myself laughing at DH when he cried at this advert, apparently I'm heartless.

See those two badgers escaped the cull that were mates with the baby fox.

BabyMummy29 Sun 01-Dec-13 20:50:39

Glad it's not just me - soppy cartoon accompanied by Lily Allen's awful warbling

theimposter Sun 01-Dec-13 20:47:59

Not a massive fan; much prefer the Boots one with the hoody kid looking like he is causing trouble but actually dropping nice gifts in. Better song too...

namenotmine Sun 01-Dec-13 12:21:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squoosh Sun 01-Dec-13 04:49:17

Do some people actually think bears are to be found in the British countryside??

Oh dear.

squoosh Sun 01-Dec-13 04:47:41

hmm

Um, yes, of course bears hibernate, just not in John Lewis land i.e the UK. Brown bears are to be found in Eurasia and North America.

daisychain01 Sun 01-Dec-13 04:16:50

I enjoy the advert, proud of JL being a great British store and a wonderful one at that.

The hare is far better than having a sentimental Disney'd rabbit, that is why Watership Down was a decent movie, it didnt sugarcoat the story, it was a bit edgy.

Not convinced about the bear at all (um, do they really hibernate like hedgehogs and squirrels?)

I was amazed yesterday to see a hedgehog still up and about, snuffling and grubbing around in the leaves. Must be a very mild Autumn....

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 01-Dec-13 02:10:12

The animation looks really cheap and I hated the original song and detest Lily Allan's cover even more.

Buttercup4 Sun 01-Dec-13 01:50:52

I don't understand why anyone would cry at the end?! confused But then I didn't understand why anyone would cry at the end of Toy Story 3...

Droflove Sun 01-Dec-13 01:34:17

If I hear of one more person crying watching it..wtf

ShylaMcCall Sun 01-Dec-13 01:29:26

Brecon I love that interpretation.

SomethingOnce Sun 01-Dec-13 01:15:02

It's a bit boring.

And Lily Allen and her bloody glottal stops...

BreconBeBuggered Sun 01-Dec-13 00:25:20

The bear represents your typical parent on Christmas morning. Knackered beyond all reason and only subduing the impulse to murder the little sod who woke you up at 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 o' fucking clock in the spirit of the season. And having to pretend to be delighted at another poxy present to boot.

Quite like the advert now I've got that off me chest.

PrincessFlirtyPants Sun 01-Dec-13 00:13:46

Oh and I loved the advert until WaffilyVersatile said that the bear is probably dead because he didn't sleep for long enough sad

PrincessFlirtyPants Sun 01-Dec-13 00:12:10

I love the song, I must be the only one! blush

Spare a thought for the poor woman standing at the top of the escalator in Bluewater John Lewis with a TV showing the advert on a loop.
We went through JL yesterday. It was on.
Later we went to the Lower Ground floor - it was still on

Even later we went back through to the car-park.
It was still playing.

I bet she felt like throwing herself on a spike .

But I love the advert so YABU rasp

Sparklingbrook Sun 01-Dec-13 00:03:56

Alarm clocks are bought from Argos anyway. Everyone knows that.

southeastastra Sun 01-Dec-13 00:00:41

so :P

southeastastra Sun 01-Dec-13 00:00:14

i have actually worked in advertising and am an expert so can comment with integrity grin

ShylaMcCall Sat 30-Nov-13 23:58:53

This being Mumsnet I think a lot of us are quite jealous of anyone needing an alarm clock. I only set mine when DH is home and I can crawl into bed for an hour in the early evening.

Why the passive aggressive alarm clock? Why not just wake your friend up with a gentle nudge and a nice cup of tea?

squoosh Sat 30-Nov-13 23:55:07

Are people not allowed have opinions? They are made for us after all, the great unwashed hoi polloi.

Oh, and hashtagging when not on Twitter.

Pointless.

ThereWasOnceAGirl Sat 30-Nov-13 23:53:05

Didn't realise there were so many advertising experts on MN.

The way some of you talk you'd think you'd produced an award commercial yourself.

#pretentious

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now