To really dislike the John Lewis Xmas Advert?

(65 Posts)
DirtyDancingCleanLiving Sat 30-Nov-13 22:44:52

I just don't get it.

A bear and a hare...why? Why are they friends?

The hare looks like one of the scary half-dead rabbits from Watership Down. Makes me shudder to look at.

AIBU?

squoosh Sat 30-Nov-13 23:07:42

I HATED the little boy ad. Hated, hated, hated.

so depressing.

DirtyDancingCleanLiving Sat 30-Nov-13 23:10:51

HOW can you hate it?

It's not depressing, it's beautiful and touching.

It makes me well up just thinking about it, never mind actually watching it!

I also loathed the little boy ad

Not cute. But I don't like kids and prefer animated creatures or the fantastic snowmen last year.

expatinscotland Sat 30-Nov-13 23:12:44

Depressing as all fuck. Can't stand Lily's voice. I turn the channel every time it comes on.

Depressing? It's gorgeous (though I admit to crying the first time I saw it - v unlike me).

That was re little boy one, not boring bear and hare.

TamzinGrey Sat 30-Nov-13 23:23:53

Didn't mind it until I went to the new John Lewis in Ashford which is small and open plan. They've got the advert playing at top volume on a big screen tv. It's on a loop and can be heard over and over and over again throughout the whole bloody shop. After half an hour I had to escape and didn't buy anything.

I've been severely traumatised and can't bear (ha ha) to watch the ad now.

squoosh Sat 30-Nov-13 23:24:34

No the little boy ad was so gloomy and blah. Sucked the Christmas spirit right out of me.

GW297 Sat 30-Nov-13 23:25:04

I love the shop though. I prefer the Tesco one this year.

KidLorneRoll Sat 30-Nov-13 23:25:09

It's shit, and I can't help but think people saying that it makes them cry need to get a fucking grip.

It's an advert. It's not beautiful, it's not sad, it's not moving and it's certainly not fucking art. What it is is a cynical couple of minutes trying to get people buy shit from an overpriced shop.

Meerkatwhiskers Sat 30-Nov-13 23:28:34

I hate it cause of the song. I love lily Allen but she's murdered an amazing song. I'm all for cover versions but why all the screeching in the middle ffs? I know you don't hear that part in the advert but it goes through my head when I see the it.

Meerkatwhiskers Sat 30-Nov-13 23:29:57

That tesco one does my head in too. And morrisons and m&s and all the other shite. Thank god for sky+! Lol

MrsSlocombesPussy Sat 30-Nov-13 23:31:52

I thought Danny Dyer's narration was spot on
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlvACerYmcw

southeastastra Sat 30-Nov-13 23:34:02

well i like it but here's the antidote

ShylaMcCall Sat 30-Nov-13 23:37:40

grin at Private Eye.

I like the alternate ending

ThereWasOnceAGirl Sat 30-Nov-13 23:53:05

Didn't realise there were so many advertising experts on MN.

The way some of you talk you'd think you'd produced an award commercial yourself.

#pretentious

squoosh Sat 30-Nov-13 23:55:07

Are people not allowed have opinions? They are made for us after all, the great unwashed hoi polloi.

Oh, and hashtagging when not on Twitter.

Pointless.

Why the passive aggressive alarm clock? Why not just wake your friend up with a gentle nudge and a nice cup of tea?

ShylaMcCall Sat 30-Nov-13 23:58:53

This being Mumsnet I think a lot of us are quite jealous of anyone needing an alarm clock. I only set mine when DH is home and I can crawl into bed for an hour in the early evening.

southeastastra Sun 01-Dec-13 00:00:14

i have actually worked in advertising and am an expert so can comment with integrity grin

southeastastra Sun 01-Dec-13 00:00:41

so :P

Alarm clocks are bought from Argos anyway. Everyone knows that.

Spare a thought for the poor woman standing at the top of the escalator in Bluewater John Lewis with a TV showing the advert on a loop.
We went through JL yesterday. It was on.
Later we went to the Lower Ground floor - it was still on

Even later we went back through to the car-park.
It was still playing.

I bet she felt like throwing herself on a spike .

But I love the advert so YABU rasp

PrincessFlirtyPants Sun 01-Dec-13 00:12:10

I love the song, I must be the only one! blush

PrincessFlirtyPants Sun 01-Dec-13 00:13:46

Oh and I loved the advert until WaffilyVersatile said that the bear is probably dead because he didn't sleep for long enough sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now