to have less and less faith in DS teacher

(84 Posts)
OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 13:24:39

He has to find some plurals for his spelling test.
Either she's being really clever or she does not actually know.

Dice

As she "has form" on homework mistakes and spelling errors - I suspect she does not know the mistake she's made.

Shente Sat 30-Nov-13 14:41:34

Not really sure why you have no faith in her based on the egs you have given, they represent a range of different ways of making the plural. If you don't like the clergy/chairman one you could get her to write that she prefers a non-gendered appellation"members of the clergy" or "chairs" but otherwise I can't see any cause for alarm. (she may not have written the questions herself anyway as there will be loads of pre-existing resources available to practise plurals).

ErrorError Sat 30-Nov-13 15:16:48

Actually yeah I have never said 'dices' myself, but my response was a little tongue in cheek, meaning to go above and beyond what's required to justify the teacher's expectations. Ah. But if the teacher was referring to the act of dicing food, then 'he/she dices potatoes' would make sense. However, it's the game cube/polyhedra whatever. I'm just confusing myself thinking about it!

No one uses die as the singular for dice in real life
They do in this house.
Parent of pedants.

noblegiraffe Sat 30-Nov-13 15:23:05

Ah, those saying 'I do' are on MN and therefore not in real life wink

Taz1212 Sat 30-Nov-13 15:26:26

Oh dear, more proof that I am a pedant. I use die for the singular- thought everyone did. blush

Metebelis3 Sat 30-Nov-13 15:29:08

NOBLE Yes they do. So long as they aren't illiterate.

FredFredGeorge Sat 30-Nov-13 15:34:11

You're not even pedants, but anachronistic pedants...

Do you insist on "Much was ate" to?

lljkk Sat 30-Nov-13 15:39:31

And I only use data in the plural, lol. Dinosaurs we are!

SilverApples Sat 30-Nov-13 15:40:12

Call summat by the wrong name in a lesson observation, get marked down.
Call summat by the right name, but the observer don't know it, get marked down.
Stuffed both ways really.

YouTheCat Sat 30-Nov-13 15:41:04

I use die for singular and have done since my d & d days.

Shente Sat 30-Nov-13 15:46:02

Fredfred, derailing a little but why would it ever be much was ate? Is eaten a new-fangled past participle?

defineme Sat 30-Nov-13 15:47:04

lljkk do you say 'datum' as singular then?

YouTheCat Sat 30-Nov-13 15:48:50

I also say datum as the singular.

FredFredGeorge Sat 30-Nov-13 15:55:02

It was just an example I readily remembered from a good piece on language and how it's fashion not rules really with English Grammar, it was from Jane Austen.

This looks like the piece I was remembering.
opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/a-matter-of-fashion/

But when would you ever talk about a singular bit of data? Actually I think irl that's pretty much how I'd refer to it - as an item of data, not a datum.

Shente Sat 30-Nov-13 15:57:13

Data isn't really often found in yyther singular - wouldn't one piece of data just be a fact? To be data there needs to be an accumulation of information

lljkk Sat 30-Nov-13 15:59:34

i would probably say "data point" as the singular. Or "bit of information".
I say criterion a lot, though, using it properly.
tbh, I find handwringing over language change a bit silly, language always changes. I mostly like language changes. It's clarity of communication not set-in-stone convention that matters.

FredFredGeorge Sat 30-Nov-13 16:00:28

Data is quite often used in the singular as part of "data point" isn't it.

I think the distinction between fact and data is that it comes from research.

MaeMobley Sat 30-Nov-13 16:04:22

she's a teacher, not God, you don't need to have faith in her!

and I hope you do not share this lack of faith with your DC.

OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 16:35:25

So - she wants us to find the plural.

So dice is fine. I might just mention that some people use die for a single dice.

Chateau - do we do chateaus or chateaux? Both correct according to OED.

Clergyman, chairman.

Curriculum - dictionary says curricula or curriculums.

This will be an interesting spelling test when they mark it.

complexnumber Sat 30-Nov-13 16:51:40

As another maths teacher, I always mention the fact that the singular of dice is die.

I then clarify any misconceptions pupils may have with mice, or with the plural of house...

(I am forever referring to 'criterion' and 'criteria' in boring paper work)

mrspremise Sat 30-Nov-13 17:02:13

I'm no-one. I do not exist. Neither do my ds9 or my ds7. We all know that one die, two dice is correct and use the correct forms. BECAUSE IT IS CORRECT. Just because some people get it wrong doesn't mean it stops being wrong, otherwise we'd all be voting for the BNP, ffs... angry

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Sat 30-Nov-13 17:07:27

Stop looking for something to bash the teacher over.

I do hope you're not critical and negative in front of the children.

OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 17:12:58

bobpat

This is the 5th thing recently about homework. Talking about homophones that aren't homophones, using split commas in homework, monosyllabic words that aren't and teaching how to multiply and divide by 10 incorrectly.

I am a primary teacher and I don't want to keep having to explain to DS the correct way to do it and why so and so is incorrect.

OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 17:15:27

And I know enough primary teachers who can't spell, who can't use punctuation and grammar correctly and who can't do "hard" maths. I saw it on my course and I saw it at schools I have worked at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now