to want our own authentic German Christmas market in London?

(79 Posts)
pmTea Fri 29-Nov-13 22:42:26

Glasgow has one (twinned with Nuremberg).
Birmingham has one (twinned with Frankfurt).
Leeds has one (no idea who they're twinned with).

London - bloody capital city has nada.

Oh, sorry, unless you count the utter crock of shite that is the Southbank "German-styled" market: nothing authentic about it whatsoever, no German stall holders to speak of, but the usual Christmas tat only sold from a wooden chalet!

I WANT A GERMAN CRISTKINDLMARKT IN LONDON PLEASE <hopes that some events organiser in German Xmas markets is actually reading this>

Over and out.

pmTea Sat 30-Nov-13 21:53:19

blimey toomuchicecream - <impressed face>

pmTea Sat 30-Nov-13 21:50:20

Too true MmeL, or so my DH tells me.
Nothing like a festive bunch of pissed British teenagers to really get the market party going eh!

MmeLindor Sat 30-Nov-13 21:31:26

To be fair, the German markets aren't about drinking till you are sick. I think that is the Brit interpretation. You don't see a lot of falling over drunk folk at the German markets in Germany.

Heartbrokenmum73 Sat 30-Nov-13 21:18:38

Oh, but now I want fried cheese!!!

Heartbrokenmum73 Sat 30-Nov-13 21:18:08

Mmmm, yeah, early weekday might be a good idea - will probably still be busy though, just not as busy.

Anything that crowded (and with alcohol thrown in) is my idea of hell.

I don't make the connection between Christmas and drinking until you're sick. Or sausages, either.

'We bring gold, Frankincense and Bratwurst' - must've missed that bit grin

DawnOfTheDee Sat 30-Nov-13 21:17:00

Haven't been to the one in leeds this year yet but I will if the fried cheese stall is there again.

Also my friend went and said there was a lady on one of the stalls who had a German accent that kept lapsing back into broad Yorkshire which I'd quite like to hear.

pmTea Sat 30-Nov-13 21:13:57

Ok, you've put me off the B'ham one! Definitely not one for the weekend at least. Must be better early morning Mon-Fri, surely. Fewer pissheads?
Glasgow's (when I was going back in 2005) was good because it was/is twinned with Nuernberg. i.e.: stallholders from Nuernberg organise via the partner city link to come over to Glasgow and set up base there for a few weeks.

ghostonthecanvas Sat 30-Nov-13 21:11:01

Thats on as well. Others are different weekends. The Christmas market seems to be outside horsecross theatre for a week. Christmas one this weekend and 14th and the farmers markets run as usual.

pmTea Sat 30-Nov-13 21:10:50

Glasgow's was pretty good, MmeLindor Partner city to Nuremberg where my DH is from and the stall holders were from there. Authentic but not massive. Good food. We liked it.

MmeLindor Sat 30-Nov-13 20:47:48

Is that the normal Farmers' Market in Perth? I've been to that once or twice, and it was quite nice.

ghostonthecanvas Sat 30-Nov-13 20:27:06

There is some things on in perth. Handmade etc. Something else outside horsecross. Going to try a link. I have not been yet but hope to get there this year.

www.perthcity.co.uk/events/market

MmeLindor Sat 30-Nov-13 20:14:47

Anyone know of one in Scotland, other than in Edinburgh? We were thinking of going somewhere this weekend.

Or alternative, is it worthwhile stopping off in Birmingham next week on our way home from down south? Or somewhere else between Oxford and Scotland?

We need proper authentic German market though, cause DH is German.

givemeaclue Sat 30-Nov-13 20:11:59

Bah humbug. I don't like them. Sausage, hot wine and rubbish tat

Heartbrokenmum73 Sat 30-Nov-13 20:09:19

Jesus, we've left Birmingham over the summer this year. We used to go to the lights switch on Solihull each year instead - much more civilised and nowhere near as busy! And we had Alex from CBeebies last year - he hung around for ages afterwards, meeting everyone, signing things, doing photos.

The German market in Birmingham? Horrible. Just horrible. It's so crowded it takes about an hour to get from one end of New Street to the other. You can't get near the stalls unless you're willing to push or be pushed around. It's ridiculous and not worth the hassle at all.

The only people I know who go there are the ones who are looking forward to getting pissed on the beer. There is nothing 'family friendly' about loads of pissed people, no matter how it's marketed.

And it's about as German as I am! Just because it's twinned with something, that doesn't actually make it German.

Waste of time and money.

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 30-Nov-13 19:31:01

Birmingham one is overcrowded. Streets are too narrow and nobody can move. Not fun.

deadduck Sat 30-Nov-13 19:16:57

The Leeds one is shite. It was ok when it first started (novelty maybe), but now it's full of tat and I don't bother going any more. Not particularly authentic either. Can't be very German, always get blank stares if I talk German to shopkeepers (I am from that part of the world).

Laquitar Sat 30-Nov-13 18:46:29

'It must be horrible for anyone who lives anywhere near thete'.

I wouldn't mind to have a house by Hyde Park, i could put up with the noise once a year! (grin)

Sorry i'm not having a go at you, im just joking.

RedToothBrush Sat 30-Nov-13 18:34:59

One in Manchester has gradually taken over the whole city.

I think it just shows which cities have culture in this country. ;)

I can recommend a very good cider bar down in the victorian markets near the Hilton.

Artandco Sat 30-Nov-13 18:23:24

I fly out often. The cologne one is nice as the airport is only 15 mins away. Return from heathrow last year was only £44 I think. Morning flight out, and 9pm flight back. Only hand luggage so fast as can just go straight to gate either end.
Breakfast in cologne altstadt, lunch in the park, bratwurst and eggnog by the river and home in time for bed.

YouTheCat Sat 30-Nov-13 18:22:42

For the past three weeks we have been to the Newcastle Continental market. Oh my god the food! All manner of luscious things from all over the world. grin

CuriosityCola Sat 30-Nov-13 18:20:27

The Edinburgh one has been renamed the European Christmas Market and is more than a little bit shit now confused

VivaLeBeaver Sat 30-Nov-13 18:18:16

We have one every year, big one that people come from all over the world for appparantly. Coaches and coaches full of them visitors blocking all the roads. I don't even travel five miles for it.

toomuchicecream Sat 30-Nov-13 18:13:06

pmTea - I did the Aachen Christmas market as a 24 hour trip (in a car) a couple of years ago. Left home at 4pm on a Tuesday evening, stayed overnight on the far side of Holland and then drove about 45 minutes into Aachen the next morning. First stop the Lindt factory outlet smilesmilesmile and then the rest of the day in the town enjoying the markets. Left Aachen about 5pm and was home (Windsor area) by 11pm. It was a real eye opener, how far you can go in a day! Channel Tunnel was only £28 return as mid week in late November.

This year a friend and I are going to Cologne for the weekend - leaving after work on Friday night, aiming to be at the Lindt outlet by mid morning on the Saturday and in Cologne for a late lunch, and leaving mid-afternoon on Sunday to be home by 10pm.

Last year we went to the Winchester Christmas market and it was a good substitute for the real thing - just get there early as by lunchtime it was heaving and almost impossible to walk round.

ivykaty44 Sat 30-Nov-13 16:52:29

move

comingintomyown Sat 30-Nov-13 16:42:37

Thank you orange pudding I didn't know that so that's tomorrow sorted !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now