To think this is the most stupid substitute I have been sent to date.

(162 Posts)
Bunraku Fri 29-Nov-13 12:43:24

I ordered an electric toothbrush on sale in my tesco delivery. The toothbrush was out of stock and so they have sent me the replacement heads. hmm

welshnat Fri 29-Nov-13 13:56:59

And for the first time ever this thread has made me want a "like" button for MN!!!

MairyHoles Fri 29-Nov-13 13:59:04

I ordered that really easy garlic, would have been happy with own brand similar product or just actual real garlic. Really easy ginger is what I got, and what I still have intact in the cupboard. Let common sense prevail, Tesco staff!

Bubbles1066 Fri 29-Nov-13 14:00:07

I've had the no substitutions available for bread too. What Tesco, you didn't have a single loaf of bread, nothing?! Drives me mad. I now make sure I write if the type of bread I want is not available send me any other whole meal or brown loaf. I shouldn't have to though, surely it's common sense? Obviously not.

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Fri 29-Nov-13 14:11:14

I remember someone on here ordered six eggs from Sainsbury's and got a small wooden owl instead.

thebestlaidplans Fri 29-Nov-13 14:15:16

I use a well known brand of hair dye in a light brown / dark blonde shade, have done for over a decade. Out of stock so Tesco substituted it for a different colour, jet black.
That's alright Tesco, I'll just completely alter my whole appearance?!

BrianButterfield Fri 29-Nov-13 14:38:15

I'm sure a picker was on here once and said they don't see the original choice, only the suggested substitution, so don't blame the staff!

The computer programme clearly needs some work though.

TheSmallPrint Fri 29-Nov-13 14:42:19

I remember someone on here ordered six eggs from Sainsbury's and got a small wooden owl instead.

Brilliant! grin

WellThatsLife Fri 29-Nov-13 14:57:50

Ordered a chicken and got 2lb of mushrooms instead

TotallyBursar Fri 29-Nov-13 15:02:37

I got sent a pack of nappies instead of sanitary towels once & one unfortunate shop I had a kilo of peppers (we really don't like them that much ) but just one lonely carrot. It dawned on me later that, in their place I would briefly wonder why someone might want just the one extra large carrot and that my conclusion may not be flattering.

I really would have preferred a small wooden owl!

WhereIsMyHat Fri 29-Nov-13 15:02:50

The eggs/ owl substitution is brilliant.

Who are these substitution picking people and do they not eat/ live.

PlainBrownEnvelope Fri 29-Nov-13 15:03:00

Ordered a pint of fresh turkey gravy

Got- a tin of dog food - turkey chunks in gravy.

Thurlow Fri 29-Nov-13 15:08:19

And this is why I'll never do online shopping grin

Though I might not complain about the wooden owl...

Didn't someone the other day get sent a bar of chocolate in place of sanitary towels? Genius.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Fri 29-Nov-13 15:12:13

What a Friday afternoon treat.
My cheeks were already aching when I reached the eggs/owl and then I got to the hair dye grin

webwiz Fri 29-Nov-13 15:15:42

I ordered some butternut squash soup and got a whole butternut squash as a substitution - DIY soup.

HesterShaw Fri 29-Nov-13 15:18:01

Surely the owl eggs one can't be true!! grin

JennySense Fri 29-Nov-13 15:18:19

My tesco delivery driver used to roll his eyes at some of the subs as he had to manage the customers. He told me the worst one was an apple instead of some fags. The customer went ballistic.

Ordered thyme, got coriander. You can just see the shelf picker going 'well, it's smelly green sh*t, isn't it'...

Ordered a luxury Taste the Difference swiss chocolate birthday cake for FIL; got 6 Cadburys swiss rolls...

enriquetheringbearinglizard Fri 29-Nov-13 15:22:34

Hester
'Surely the owl eggs one can't be true!! grin'

I don't even care if it isn't it's so funny grin

LuciusMalfoyisSmokingHot Fri 29-Nov-13 15:23:01

If the picker doesnt get to see the orignal choice, then how the hell are they meant to pick decent subs, let them see the original and see if they have an sense.

The eggs/owl one is class, and i would like to know that link was made.

LondonMother Fri 29-Nov-13 15:23:19

Tesco, ten years or so ago. I ordered a tub of pistachio nuts. I got a packet of rich tea finger biscuits. I wondered if ginger nuts might have featured in somebody's thinking at some point in the process.

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Fri 29-Nov-13 15:24:08

This thread has some marvellous examples (I think my favourite is Sleepingbunnies' tinned tuna being substituted by a Yom Kippur candle).

Kerosene Fri 29-Nov-13 15:24:53

Most of the time they're fine, and I'll take the odd odd substitution in favour of actually having to go there myself. I quite like ocado substitutions as they'll occasionally upgrade me and you pay the same price.

OTOH, I once ordered veggie mince, got cow mince. Veggie burgers similarly were swapped, not for some other vegetable-based patty concept (such as the other type I had in my order, which were part of the same deal), but turkey burgers.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Fri 29-Nov-13 15:26:20

I once received a leek as a substitute for white seedless grapes! Not quite sure how they thought it was a good substitute? I mean apples/pears I could understand.

DavenotChas Fri 29-Nov-13 15:27:32

I ordered a pregnancy test and my substitute was condoms. A bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted (so to speak...)

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Fri 29-Nov-13 15:33:44

Sainsbury's eggs are billed as "woodland" eggs, so we all theorised at the time that it was the "wood..." bit that had been picked up. Sadly original thread seems to have been in Chat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now