aibu to think postman should not be changing tyres/ talking at length with people on his rounds?

(691 Posts)
Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 12:49:20

Waiting for an important letter which is dependent on what time I receive it today. So go for a stroll to see if postie is in area. There is he is in the next street changing some girl's tyre for her-I know this is not his car and ours is his last street. He then proceeds to chat to this girl for about 10 minutes, then another woman for about 5 minutes.

I am peed off about this. AIBU?

Preciousbane Thu 28-Nov-13 13:12:08

How can you get your knickers in a twist over a letter arriving about twenty minutes later because someone is doing a good deed.

YABU people like that postie are what is good about humanity

There are specific services for items that need to be received by a certain time. If the person sending you the letter didn't want to pay for Special Delivery, before 1pm then as long as your post arrives before midnight they have done what they are paid to do. End of story.

If you want to know exactly when all your mail will arrive either insist everyone who posts you anything uses Special Delivery and stump the charges yourself - or invest in a flight of post owls - but even those don't always deliver at the same time.

BetsyBoop Thu 28-Nov-13 13:14:20

If the letter was soooo important it needed to be delivered by a certain time then the sender should have used the Special Delivery Guaranteed by 9am/1pm option.

If they didn't then yes YABU to expect your post to be delivered by a certain time.

Hadn't you better get in position at the letter box?

You have to be standing there arms folded, cats bum mouth, tapping your foot for when he arrives. Have you got a fag you hold and suck on forcibly when he appears, it will finish the look nicely.

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 13:14:38

The thing is I've got a week off and I really need that letter to arrive before a certain time. If he is not here before then, then my plans will have to change tomorrow.

Is it really too much to ask that somebody does their job first and then does good deeds in his own time? Seems so.

HesterShaw Thu 28-Nov-13 13:15:15

Yeah, lol.

BetsyBoop Thu 28-Nov-13 13:15:30

x=post CoolaSchmoola , great minds grin

kali110 Thu 28-Nov-13 13:15:44

Even if i was waiting for something important would i begrudge him helping others out?no i wouldn't!lets hope you never need some to help you.
How mean.
Plus he is still doing the job he is paid to do.

Beeyump Thu 28-Nov-13 13:16:06

What the heck is this letter?? Does it contain a golden ticket?

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Thu 28-Nov-13 13:17:24

No, OP. If I was in your shoes I would recognise that I can't expect the post for a particular time. I certainly wouldn't go wandering around the streets haranguing the poor guy. I absolutely would not threaten to dob him in to his company.

I think YABVVU to rely on snail mail for anything which is time critical to within a couple of hours. It isn't what the service is designed to provide.

5Foot5 Thu 28-Nov-13 13:18:09

Waiting for an important letter which is dependent on what time I receive it today.

Trying to understand this sentence - do you mean the letter is important because some other course of action you intend to take or some decision you have to make will be dependent on what time you receive it?

If it is that important then surely you should have arranged to have it delivered by some other means that guaranteed a delivery time.

Possibly your postie doesn't actually have the letter at all and as far as he is concerned his round is already finished.

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 13:18:40

Is this mumsnet or the Postman Pat fanclub I see before me?

FraidyCat Thu 28-Nov-13 13:18:40

Apparently the postal service is not what it used to be. I've heard that in "ye olden days" one could post a letter at noon in the home counties, addressed to someone in London, telling them where in central London you intended to meet them at 7pm, and they would get it in time to act on it.

(I'm guessing "ye olden days" was before the telephone made that level of service obsolete.)

Willowbear Thu 28-Nov-13 13:19:07

YABU

What a lovely helpful man.

Your post is not guaranteed to arrive at a specific time. If you have a very important letter then have it sent special delivery.

I'm impressed that you can still get letters delivered, I thought posties just delivered junk mail.

Abra1d Thu 28-Nov-13 13:21:00

He sounds lovely. I wish more were like him. I hope he gets lots of large Christmas boxes.

fluffiphlox Thu 28-Nov-13 13:22:11

Leave him alone! He sounds like just the sort of chap the community needs.

onlysettleforbutterflies Thu 28-Nov-13 13:22:49

YABU - I hope you never need to ask a passing person for help and they refuse. Community spirit is incredibly important, well done to the postie, hopefully the girl he helped will contact his boss to commend him. Where I live there is no specific time the post is delivered, it gets there when it gets there.

TurnOffTheTv Thu 28-Nov-13 13:22:49

I can't believe you would actually report him for helping someone out, what a horrid thing to do! Just because you have your knickers in a twist you could affect a whole family and their income, how utterly nasty. You should have arranged to get it guaranteed delivery if it was that important to you.

SwishAndFlick Thu 28-Nov-13 13:24:07

YABU if it was so important you could have paid for special delivery or whatever the service is called so that you get your mail before 10 am.
If its normal post then as long as he delivers it before his shift ends he is doing his job.

Lilymaid Thu 28-Nov-13 13:24:10

Our postie stops for a cup of tea and chat with one of our neighbours every day, leaving his bike and the post unattended.
I haven't complained but it is a little annoying when I'm about to go out and my post is still in his bag parked opposite.

FuckingFuck Thu 28-Nov-13 13:26:23

Faverolles that is terrible, poor postie.

OP YABU, if your letter was as important as you say you'd have had it sent by courier. The postman sounds really helpful and lovely, but he could easily have been held up for any reason on his round so you were never guaranteed to have the letter today.

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 13:27:35

F* me he's arrived...

thebody Thu 28-Nov-13 13:27:57

as a former district nurse I can assure you that a good postman can save lives by looking out for elderly/vulnerable people.

perhaps you need to get out into the real world and see what's really important in life. which isn't your letter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now