aibu to think postman should not be changing tyres/ talking at length with people on his rounds?

(691 Posts)
Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 12:49:20

Waiting for an important letter which is dependent on what time I receive it today. So go for a stroll to see if postie is in area. There is he is in the next street changing some girl's tyre for her-I know this is not his car and ours is his last street. He then proceeds to chat to this girl for about 10 minutes, then another woman for about 5 minutes.

I am peed off about this. AIBU?

LittleMissGerardPoppyButler Thu 28-Nov-13 12:59:06

Maybe he has to wait for the helicopter to deliver your special delivery wink though something is bound to go wrong, but it will turn out well in the end, and he will deliver it just in time.

judgejudithjudy Thu 28-Nov-13 12:59:53

faver - thats so sad :'(

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 13:00:38

Once his round is over, he can change as many tyres as he likes.

you're going to have to wait a little longer op, he's got to find a lost toy first

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Thu 28-Nov-13 13:01:41

OP: "AIBU?"

Everyone: "Yes"

OP: "No I'm not, you're all wrong"

Why did you post OP?

DIYapprentice Thu 28-Nov-13 13:02:00

His job is to deliver the post, yes, but not by a particular time of day. You get it when you get it, on his rounds. As long as its delivered by the end of his shift, then that is all you're entitled to quite frankly.

YABU. I think I've only ever posted that twice before.
You are lucky to get your post before lunchtime. Ours arrives between 3 and 4 in the afternoon.
Get off your high horse.

Do you know for certain that he has your very important letter?

rumpledtitskin Thu 28-Nov-13 13:04:08

I don't understand this.

I thought your question was aibu?

We've all said you are.

That should be it!

Why ask if you won't listen?

500internalerror Thu 28-Nov-13 13:04:45

So do you get your post at exactly the same time every day? I don't. I wouldn't even know when it's due. It depends on how much he's got, how many need to be signed for. And, yes, how friendly and helpful he is en route .

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 13:04:46

How can I know until he's actually been Binkyridesagain? Perhaps he has to go and change somebody's lightbulb first.

TimeAndRubberBulletsInSpace Thu 28-Nov-13 13:04:51

I'm surprised he had time to do that. Timings for rounds are very tight and they face disciplinary action if they are late back and these times don't take into account busy post times or when they have leaflets to deliver and so will have to visit every house on the round. My FIL left Royal Mail this year due to the awful way they treat their staff.

rumpledtitskin Thu 28-Nov-13 13:05:15

Oh and nice, threatening to report him..

HellonHeels Thu 28-Nov-13 13:05:22

You sound like a bit of a grump, OP

Why are you bothering to ask if YABU if you aren't willing to accept that you might BU?

YABU, IMHO

Beeyump Thu 28-Nov-13 13:06:52

Imagine if the people of Greendale had your attitude, op. sad There wouldn't be a show

rumpledtitskin Thu 28-Nov-13 13:07:33

Maybe the lesson is not to rely on the postman for time critical letters of high importance.

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 13:07:36

I'm sorry but while I accept that you're (so far at least) all saying iabu, I bet if you were in my position you wouldn't be quite so accepting of his ways.

So if you don't know that your very important letter is in his postie bag and you don't know if it WILL be delivered to day why are you getting so worked up?

DoJo Thu 28-Nov-13 13:08:23

OK, either this is a Postman Pat reference, in which case I am surprised anyone ever gets their post at all in your area, or you should have ensured that your letter was sent by one of the time sensitive services.

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Thu 28-Nov-13 13:08:31

That may all be true TimeAndRubberBulletsInSpace but it's nothing to do with the OP. Her (or rather whoever is sending her the letter) contract is with Royal Mail and they don't do timed deliveries unless you pay for it.

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 13:09:10

rumpledtitskin. You're right there; he might have to rescue a lamb from a field or something. Sure as heck can't rely on him to do the job for which he is paid.

favour- that's sounds like the postman at work. people in this village and outskirts can be very isolated, some of the people he takes the time to chat to, wont speak to anyone else all week.

our post at home never arrives before 1pm but as im at work I'm not too worried.

HesterShaw Thu 28-Nov-13 13:09:41

grin

Yes, Pat would say "piss off Mrs Goggins, not now - I've gor to ge the OP's very important letter to her."

WaitMonkey Thu 28-Nov-13 13:09:55

grin at the op's name.

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 13:10:58

HesterShaw, lol it's a coincidence!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now