aibu to think postman should not be changing tyres/ talking at length with people on his rounds?

(691 Posts)
Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 12:49:20

Waiting for an important letter which is dependent on what time I receive it today. So go for a stroll to see if postie is in area. There is he is in the next street changing some girl's tyre for her-I know this is not his car and ours is his last street. He then proceeds to chat to this girl for about 10 minutes, then another woman for about 5 minutes.

I am peed off about this. AIBU?

HesterShaw Thu 28-Nov-13 12:50:27

Yes.

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 12:50:34

Btw, I'm not making out he is a serial chatter up of women; could have just as easily been a bloke he was talking to.

rumpledtitskin Thu 28-Nov-13 12:51:19

Yes, yabu

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 12:52:06

Why am I being unreasonable? Didn't realise it was his job to change people's tyres for them.

5Foot5 Thu 28-Nov-13 12:52:43

He sounds like a lovely postie. Don't be so impatient.

CoffeeTea103 Thu 28-Nov-13 12:53:34

It's not his job but he is wants to help people so I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

judgejudithjudy Thu 28-Nov-13 12:53:52

omg what a lovely postie :-) yabvu & entitled.

community spirit! our work postman is fab, he lives near me so often brings my parcels into work for me. He talks and has a chat, his round is all rural, houses are far apart and farms etc.

You postman is Pat Clifton. Do I win a prize?

MissMilbanke Thu 28-Nov-13 12:55:00

YABU

I like people like that. That take a bit a time and help others out.

Did you ask for your post then or wait and watch this all going on for 15 minutes hmm

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Thu 28-Nov-13 12:55:20

YABU because the mail is not guaranteed for a certain time. So long as you do get your post at some point what he does on his round is none of your business. If it was so critical to receive by a certain time then you should have got a courier.

Sirzy Thu 28-Nov-13 12:55:30

How nice of him not to just walk past and leave someone struggling to change a tyre.

LoopyLobster Thu 28-Nov-13 12:55:49

bah, humbug

lagoonhaze Thu 28-Nov-13 12:55:53

Its called community spirit. Take it out of a community and you leave sour entitled people.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 12:56:36

Sorry don't know what you mean by entitled? Entitled to what exactly- to receive mail from a man who is being paid specifically to deliver it? I mean how would you feel if your baby is being delivered and the midwife goes out and pulls a few pints in a pub as the local barmaid is ill?

Sorry, do not agree that I am being entitled here at all.

ihatethecold Thu 28-Nov-13 12:56:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

custardo Thu 28-Nov-13 12:57:11

I would be more than pleased to have a great postie like that, in fact I would be ringing up the PO and telling them what a wonderful helpful brilliant specimen of a human being he is.

without people like him, what an awful world this would be

well done that postie

I think you are being a misery

Daiso Thu 28-Nov-13 12:57:24

Hmmm. I can see why you are bugged as if I was waiting for important post then I too, would be chomping at the bit to receive it. BUT if it was you who needed your tyre changing or something similar, then surely you would be grateful of the help if postie offered it?
Sounds like a lovely chap who enjoys his job and sees it as a way of being involved in the community.
Did you get your post?

Nannyme1 Thu 28-Nov-13 12:57:36

If I was your postie your mail would be getting lost.
You sound a treat!

Faverolles Thu 28-Nov-13 12:58:13

Our lovely postman from a few years ago was sacked because he took too long to do his rounds (even though he wasn't paid more for taking longer).
He used to take shopping and prescriptions (collected in his own free time) to elderly, isolated people on his round.
He would stay and chat to some who otherwise wouldn't speak to another person all day.
They still sacked him sad

Nomorepat Thu 28-Nov-13 12:58:47

No I asked him for the post. But he couldn't/wouldn't give it to me as he was changing the tyre. I don't want to report him for this but, really, his JOB is to deliver post not change tyres.

judgejudithjudy Thu 28-Nov-13 12:58:51

oh yes op, thats the same rofl! lets hope you never needyour tyre changed as only a tyre fitter will do! pathetic.

moldingsunbeams Thu 28-Nov-13 12:58:51

yabu, its called community, she might have had somewhere she needed to go and could not do it and he offered to help her. We do not know the circumstances why she needed help. I wish more people were community focused.

If post was booked in time slots so you knew he should be with you between 10 and 11 am say then fair enough but it does not work like that. Our postman comes at 7am some days ad 3pm the next, its annoying sometimes but one of those things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now