really irritated by this comment and to think if your happy to eat meat you have to accept someone killed it!!!!

(96 Posts)

We're farmers, we raise and send for meat cows and lambs. We also raise and slaughter for our personal use pigs, chickens and rabbits. All our animals are very well cared for, free range and killed humanely. Dh will also shoot pheasant and pigeon for food.
Friend has told me she no longer wants to be friends with me as she disagrees with our way of life. She disagrees with shooting and raising pets (I presume our rabbits) for food. Seems to have launched a facebook campaign against shooting, which isaimed at farmers in general.
I'm most confused. She eats meat, happily buys it from supermarket where I can guarantee most of it will not have enjoyed the lifestyle ours have. I think the shooting is one of her main problems, is this so different from slaughter, surely its better than an animal being caged all its life only to end up in tesco. I genuinely don't get it? We don't kill for sport, we have huge respect forall our animals and the enviroment. We live virtually completely self sufficiently. What are we doingthat is so wrong?

Damnautocorrect Sat 23-Nov-13 14:07:05

Your friend is a knobhead.
Perhaps she should do some proper research into her meat sources before she starts forming an opinion.

This is something I feel quite passionately about, I only buy british and buy as locally as I can. I'd sooner eat less of a higher quality. Chicken breasts are a prime example just look at the cheap imported ones, texture colour even smell.
So all in all I'm loving your work!

DrCoconut Sat 23-Nov-13 16:18:41

I am uncomfortable with hunting when it is not necessary to survive, however that doesn't mean that no one else has the right to do as they wish. I'm also vegetarian but I don't think I have the right to force it on others. DH and DS1 are meat eaters and that's up to them. So she is NBU to object to your lifestyle but YANBU to live it. She is BU to kick off about it like that. Live and let live is best.

garlictrivia Sat 23-Nov-13 16:31:35

Your friend's a numpty. I once worked with a 28-year-old graduate, who'd never associated the meat she ate with the pretty landscape animals she saw grazing in the countryside. She promptly became a vegetarian grin

People like her don't even realise the animals are only there for food use. They think fields & livestock arise naturally - if they ever think at all, which sometimes seems doubtful!

YoDiggity Sat 23-Nov-13 16:35:53

Your friend is a grad A idiot and a hypocrite. You should waste no more time on her.

yourcruisedirector Sat 23-Nov-13 16:39:43

YANBU OP. I'm vegetarian and have been for a long time, but if everyone was able to live as sustainably as you (obviously land is an issue, never mind skills), I'd feel a lot less unsettled by meat. I only eat eggs from MIL's well-kept hens and grow as much food as I can manage, and forage a bit. I would like to be vegan and do eat vegan part of the time but on balance our family consumes less animal product if we eat vege - I'll never persuade DH to live vegan!

But back to the original query - your friend is a mindless berk grin

VerySmallSqueak Sat 23-Nov-13 16:43:17

Your friend is a hypocrite.

I loathe hunting as sport when the animal pursued is inedible,or if it is edible yet not put in the pot, and left to waste.
Unfortunately I know that there are times the shoot just throws away pheasants they have killed.This I have a problem with.

We have raised and eaten our own chickens.They had a good free range life first - a very free range life with loads of freedom.

A friend used to bring us the things he had shot.We duly prepared and ate them.

There is a huge disconnection over where meat comes from.

A few more people should learn to skin a few bunnies,and pluck and gut a chicken imo,if they want to eat meat.

Perhaps Tescos should only sell live chickens? It's a thought!

RaRa1988 Sat 23-Nov-13 16:46:12

I'm a strict vegetarian and have been nearly all my life. I don't like the idea of killing anything for meat - BUT I think that anyone who eats meat should be able (emotionally more than anything else) to kill it themselves. I don't like this idea of buying it shrink-wrapped and tidy and having no idea where it came from. I think if you're going to eat meat, you have a responsibility to ensure it had a good life and was killed in a humane manner. What you're doing sounds perfect to me smile. I couldn't do it myself, but I couldn't kill anything and, being vegetarian, I have no need to - but I'm glad you can because I think more meat should be 'produced' in this way.

Spider7 Sat 23-Nov-13 16:50:35

Your friend is an idiot. Don't sress over losing her as a friend.

magnumicelolly Sat 23-Nov-13 17:28:38

I'm vegetarian. She's an idiot. Sounds like you're doing the animals you eat a favour, rather than buying from supermarkets, bet they've had a much better life with you.

BrickorCleat Sat 23-Nov-13 17:41:12

You sound absolutely lovely and sensible! I will hs

BrickorCleat Sat 23-Nov-13 17:42:35

Eh? Happily fill the gap left by the ignorant berk who wants to eat plastic covered hormone filled shite.

You should be dropping her not the other way round.

What a silly moo.

EXTERMINATEpeppa Sat 23-Nov-13 17:42:51

your 'friend' sounds a bit dim.

EllaFitzgerald Sat 23-Nov-13 17:52:51

What a very strange attitude for her to have, I think she's done you a favour not wanting to be friends with you anymore.

I have to say, I'm not sure I'd be able be to kill an animal to eat it, and I certainly don't agree with the idea that you should be able to do this if you're going to eat meat, but I'm very grateful that there are people like you about, who are able to produce meat in an ethical way. I'd much rather buy our meat from a business like yours than a supermarket. We don't even have a butcher in our town anymore.

RaRa1988 Sat 23-Nov-13 18:47:08

Mebbies drop your friend some information about intensive farming and abbatoirs (or however you spell it!) - perhaps then she'd see you aren't the cruel one!

TEEARDIS S. Korea has "live shrimp" and other nice things to try, and she can kill them by chewing on them

I read Temple Grandin's book and she mentioned how inhumane some slaughterhouses can be.

Plomino Sat 23-Nov-13 19:14:56

I'd rather eat meat or game that I knew where it had come from , knew what life it had led and what it had eaten , and knew how it had died , rather than the shrink wrapped mystery tour of some of our supermarkets offerings . More muddled thinking I fear . I'll join the friend queue too !

I cheerfully admit I'm incredibly lucky , as our local butcher knows exactly where his meat comes from , and can tell you what farm , how old it was , and what it was fed ( as he actually specifies it to our local farms). None of the meat comes from outside of a ten mile radius , and he dispatches it himself , or one of the lads does in the abbatoir out back. Although it does make for a bit of an odd conversation sometimes . 'Where's Jeff ?' 'He's out back slaughtering ...... '

Joysmum Sat 23-Nov-13 19:23:36

Meat eaters who mentally remove themselves from the fact that meat is an animal that died do they can eat is what perpetuates poor farming standards. I personally believe every neater should see what is being done in our name and then, only then, might animals get the good life and dignified death they deserve.

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Sat 23-Nov-13 19:36:19

She sounds like an absolute loon and you're best off out!
Surely knowing where your meat has come from and that it was happy and well cared for is better than water filled, hormone pumped shite in a plastic wrapper!
She's a hypocrite and probably not someone who will leave too gaping a hole in your social circle

Cat98 Sat 23-Nov-13 19:39:57

YANBU, though I know some farmers who are so detached from the emotional side that they don't really seem to care at all about the animals as long as the meat is good quality. I'm sure you are not like this but their attitude makes me feel very uncomfortable.
They found a litter of kittens in their shed and drowned them instead of calling someone or taking them to a shelter. This is the type of attitude I'm talking about.
Maybe your friend has come across similar attitudes and is confusing your lifestyle with your ethics?

Cat98 Sat 23-Nov-13 19:40:50

Also how do you kill your animals and what is the most 'humane' method these days please?

Melonbreath Sat 23-Nov-13 20:12:24

Yanbu. I'd rather eat game that was living happily outside one minute and shot than miserable shed living animals herded into a warehouse of death. I also happily eat my friend's chickens. Free range happy clucking hens who are killed very quickly by my friend who wants to do what's right by them. No frightening truck journeys or terrifying smells once they get there tobbe dispatched by someone who may not be careful enough.
I loathe abattoirs. Any non abattoir meat is good meat in my opinion. I am not against hunting at all as long as nothing is wasted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now