really irritated by this comment and to think if your happy to eat meat you have to accept someone killed it!!!!

(96 Posts)

We're farmers, we raise and send for meat cows and lambs. We also raise and slaughter for our personal use pigs, chickens and rabbits. All our animals are very well cared for, free range and killed humanely. Dh will also shoot pheasant and pigeon for food.
Friend has told me she no longer wants to be friends with me as she disagrees with our way of life. She disagrees with shooting and raising pets (I presume our rabbits) for food. Seems to have launched a facebook campaign against shooting, which isaimed at farmers in general.
I'm most confused. She eats meat, happily buys it from supermarket where I can guarantee most of it will not have enjoyed the lifestyle ours have. I think the shooting is one of her main problems, is this so different from slaughter, surely its better than an animal being caged all its life only to end up in tesco. I genuinely don't get it? We don't kill for sport, we have huge respect forall our animals and the enviroment. We live virtually completely self sufficiently. What are we doingthat is so wrong?

AllDirections Sat 23-Nov-13 10:56:45

YANBU

Wait till this thread has maximised and then post a link to it on your friend's FB campaign page.

Madlizzy Sat 23-Nov-13 10:57:52

does she think that there are shrink wrapped meat trees? she's an idiot.

Retroformica Sat 23-Nov-13 10:58:28

FB her 'so you are choosing to eat mass produced animals who are farmed in intensive poor conditions with a poor quality of life who are then slaughtered before being sold cheaply in supermarkets above animals raised free range, with nice comfortable stress free life, who are also killed quickly.

Retroformica Sat 23-Nov-13 11:05:09

She'd be better placed to make a stand against the vile stressed quality of life most supermarket animals have.

Or turn vegetarian and make a complete stand.

I suspect she is either very barmy or actually just has personal issues with you.

I'm a veggie because I don't like the idea of killing something living to feed me. I would not be able to kill an animal, so I don't eat them.

I have no problem with people who humanely raise and kill animals for their own food.
I don't agree with sport hunting, I don't agree with factory farming. I do agree with ethical and sustainable living.

bababababoom Sat 23-Nov-13 11:05:23

Very stupid. I'm vegetarian and so are my children, but this friend is being ridiculous.

unlucky83 Sat 23-Nov-13 11:07:14

Your 'friend' is an idiot. I think a simple 'hypocrite' comment on her Facebook campaign is in order and then ignore...
I'm not a vegetarian - my grandparents had a small farm. The dairy cows had names. Basically we patted the cute little calves (eg Alison's calf) and the next time we had beef (not often cos we had chickens too so ate them mainly) we knew that's what we were eating.
My sister is a vegetarian though. We disagree because I think you can't be a vegetarian and not vegan. If you eat dairy you are responsible for the death of the male dairy calves anyway...
My DP (brought up in a city) will only buy meat in a packet - can't bear thinking about where it comes from. And he eats more meat than I do - he thinks a meal without meat isn't a 'proper' meal!

IsSpringSprangedYet Sat 23-Nov-13 11:11:01

It's a shame she can't channel her energy into campaining how mass produced meat is reared and slaughtered, and encourage people to buy fresh as locally as possible. And do some actual research instead of deciding she just doesn't agree with you.

Bonkers. You've done nothing wrong. Agree to posting a link on the fb page.

IsSpringSprangedYet Sat 23-Nov-13 11:12:40

x post retro

Fairylea Sat 23-Nov-13 11:15:10

Op I am an ex vegan and I agree with you.

Your friend is an ignorant idiot.

LovesBeingHereAgain Sat 23-Nov-13 11:20:12

Sounds like she's done you a favour tbh

volestair Sat 23-Nov-13 11:24:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleeplessbunny Sat 23-Nov-13 11:26:31

well if she is that stupid and hypocritical then you are almost certainly better off without her as a "friend"

pianodoodle Sat 23-Nov-13 11:27:23

Does she think her Sunday roast died of natural causes then?

Better off without her she sounds ridiculous!

harticus Sat 23-Nov-13 11:34:35

Dh will also shoot pheasant and pigeon for food

Does he only shoot on your land?
Do you rear them yourself specifically for slaughter?

Every year all of the pigeon, deer, rabbit, hare, partridge, pheasant and squirrel in the area disappear to almost zero as they are hunted by the locals. Pisses us off no end.

Wildlife belongs to us all and I give nobody my permission to kill a wild animal or bird just to shove down their fat gut or sell to the local butcher to make a few quid.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 23-Nov-13 11:36:02

Your friend is an idiot. And can I come round for dinner? grin

Foxred10 Sat 23-Nov-13 11:37:25

Harticus where on earth do you live?! blush

Rufus44 Sat 23-Nov-13 11:39:32

She is being an idiot, no loss of a friend if you ask me

holycowwhatnow Sat 23-Nov-13 11:39:53

Your friend is bonkers. I don't eat meat, haven't for more than 25 years, but if I could be guaranteed that the pork I was about to eat came from a free range pig who had a humane end, I'd eat it in a heartbeat. Her viewpoint is utterly hypocritical and ignorant.

(Although I could never, ever eat a rabbit because they're so darn cute)

Harticus - just on our land. Pheasants are allowed to breed in our woodsand pigeons Iis also about culling them as they certainly are not suffering in numbers here.
Sorry you have that issue, I do think farmers have a responsibility to balance all their activities with the local wildlife and environment they occupy. Part of that is a respect of our natural resources and allowing them to replenish.

harticus Sat 23-Nov-13 11:43:31

If more people like you Yellow then we wouldn't have such an issue - unfortunately round here every twat with a shotgun comes rattling out of the pub and blasts at random.

I am particularly pissed off at the moment that someone is killing our squirrels for commercial gain. Cunts.

LEMisafucker Sat 23-Nov-13 11:43:35

Well at least she has shown her true colours as a fucking idiot - she is probably jealous of your lifestyle. I'm heartened to read about how you raise your animals, this is how it should be. You should be proud of what you do. If i am very honest i don't think when it came to it, i could eat a pet animal, i would have to keep it separate but if i had grown up in that way then i probably would.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 23-Nov-13 11:45:58

Have you actually asked her where she thinks the meat in the supermarket comes from and how she thinks it is killed? Does she think there's a magic meat growing tree or something?

I'm very used to people raising their eye brows at the rabbits, it does make some people squeamish.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 23-Nov-13 11:52:01

My DH loves rabbit, can he come for tea too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now