To continue an unplanned pregnancy as a line parent?

(43 Posts)
Jamwidge Fri 22-Nov-13 23:12:28

I am 10 weeks pregnant, completely unplanned. I have 2 dcs already and my relationship with DP has been dreadful for a long time.

He is angry that I have not had a termination already. I am struggling to come to a decision but I am aware time is running out.

In my heart I want to keep this baby, I'm aware it will not be easy but I'm certain I could cope as a lone parent.

DP is furious that he gets no say in this decision, he was raging that they wouldn't let him in the room for my termination consultation, as he says it affects his life too so he should get to decide too.

I have made it clear that there is no way forward for us after this, whatever I decide to do.

He is laying it on thick that I am unreasonable, selfish to continue this pregnancy. That I should consider our other dcs and put them first. Also I am not respecting his wishes as he does not want another child.

I am trying to convince myself to get the termination, it appears the most sensible option, we can then split and I can concentrate on my dcs.

I feel guilty for wanting to keep this baby, when it's going to put extra pressure and stress on the family at an already tough time. DP says I am only thinking about myself and not considering anyone else and I am starting to believe him.

I am so stressed, please don't be unkind, I am just hoping for some advice.

TheBigJessie Sat 23-Nov-13 00:31:25

I am pro-choice. Choice is the operative word, there. Termination is supposed to be an option, not yet another duty laid on womenkind. I didn't and don't fight for reporoduction coercion in any form.

If you don't want an abortion, then you shouldn't have one. Good luck with everything, sweetheart.

Jamwidge Sat 23-Nov-13 19:04:00

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply.
I have had a counselling session and they advised me to try and find someone to talk to other than DP, who can be impartial.

I don't really have anyone in real life I can talk to about this so it's really helped hearing another perspective, almost like I'm seeking permission to do what I want, rather than what I feel I should.

The atmosphere at home is dreadful and I'm completely stressed out about the whole situation, so your advice and support is really appreciated.

Mumof3xx Sat 23-Nov-13 19:07:34

I was in your shoes just over a yr ago

We now have our dd, we worked through it somehow and would not be without her

If he had left me though I still would have had her. And I would have been fine. As you will too

EXTERMINATEpeppa Sat 23-Nov-13 19:18:14

Im sorry OP.

Its your body, your choice, your decision and ultimately its only you to live with the consequences. I wish you luck OP.
I know what I would do but that is no use to you.

thanks

sillymillyb Sat 23-Nov-13 19:24:00

I have purposefully not read the other replies in case what I say is unpopular, but, for me, I can't get past, "In my heart I want to keep this baby"

My baby is 20 mo now, he is amazing and wonderful but the biggest, hardest challenge I have ever had to tackle. I have been on my own with him since becoming pregnant, and didn't have an abortion like his father wanted. Honestly, I look at him and it scares me to the point of not being able to catch my breath, that I even contemplated abortion.

Your family is going to change drastically no matter what seeing as you can't see a future with your husband, so that means tackling the future in the best way for you and your children. If you took him out the picture completely, what would you want for you and your dc's?

I wish you strength, and courage. If you do this alone, it will be hard but wonderful. If you decide not to proceed, do it for the right reasons because it is right for you and not your husband.

Good luck x

pianodoodle Sat 23-Nov-13 19:31:50

YANBU

So sorry your partner is being like this. He isn't the one who would have to put himself through the medical procedure of a termination.

It isn't something to do lightly and definitely not under sufferance unless it's what you really want.

If you don't really want to then of course you shouldn't x

popmusic84 Sat 23-Nov-13 19:39:34

Your two existing children will not be harmed by keeping the baby. If you want the baby keep it. All the best.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sat 23-Nov-13 19:44:06

I think a termination is out of the question. You want this baby and you will regret is every day of your life.

pointyfangs Sat 23-Nov-13 20:16:01

You want this baby. That is really all that matters. You know what you are letting yourself in for, you know you will cope - that's all you need right there. Go with your heart.

I'm as pro choice as all hell, but the choice should be yours, not coerced by your partner.

JinglingRexManningDay Sat 23-Nov-13 20:36:28

I am pro choice. Exactly that. It is your choice to make. Not your DPs,not your friends,not your parents.
If you want a termination that is fine,if you want to keep it that's fine too. I wish you luck OP with whatever you decide.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 23-Nov-13 20:45:12

The law says the choice lies with the women.

There are good and bad points and only you can decide. I would echo what ouchmyhead says, your DC are going to need a lot of emotional support when you split and may blame it on the baby. You will have three children and an adults to support on one salary and on top of that if he rejects the child then he may choose not to see he/she and all the emotional baggage that will bring.

jellybeans Sat 23-Nov-13 21:00:25

I would keep the baby and have been in similar situation except it was my first baby and I was a teenager. No regrets and everything worked out in the long run. Never have a TOP if you are unsure.

Morloth Sat 23-Nov-13 21:26:10

You should be thinking about you.

You are the one that is pregnant and you will be the one who is doing yhe work.

Keep the baby and get rid of your DP.

Hr sounds like much harder work than a baby.

Abrahamlincolnsghost Sat 23-Nov-13 21:29:14

This is emotional abuse. You need to get help and support.

Contact womens aid. He doesn't have to hit you to be abusive.

SicknSpan Sat 23-Nov-13 22:03:56

Jamwhich what a hard decision to have to make. thanks

My sister was in a similar situation about 2.5 years ago. After a lot of heartache and soul searching she decided to continue the pregnancy, knowing she would be a lone parent and that it would mean massive changes in lifestyle for both her older children and her. My amazing dd is now a gorgeous nearly 2 year old and whilst it is undoubtedly hard for them they are all happy.

The reason there was a lot of soul searching is because she felt similarly to you- her heart said keep the baby but her head had some concerns. Plus her stbx was pressuring her into terminating. She now says that she reasoned with her head to reach the conclusion but that she knows her heart would always have felt the same.

What I'm trying to say is that it sounds like the feeling in your heart is stronger than the voice in your head - don't ignore your gut instinct.

Holamum Sat 23-Nov-13 22:18:31

Although he says he doesn't want the baby now, he may change his mind when the baby arrives.

Something similar happened to a friend of mine. She kept the baby, he left her, and then he came back. They tried to make it work being happy families, but she had severe post-natal depression and was very ill, and basically struggled to cope (not that that will happen to you). The relationship (which was fragile) broke down, and he fought tooth and nail to be the main carer, and because of her depression, he won.

The irony is that although her ex didn't want a baby in the first place, he is now a single parent himself. It's unlikely that will happen to you, but point is sometimes men don't know what they want... It is a different kettle of fish when a baby arrives.

foreverondiet Sat 23-Nov-13 23:00:22

You have to do what you feel is right for you (and your DC) and not for him. Sounds like you want to have it, and if thats what you want then thats the right answer. Remember that even if you have the baby you could give it up for adoption (I know not everyone could do this, but if thats possible it leaves you more time to decide).

I think would be good to find someone to talk to in RL.

shezzle Sat 23-Nov-13 23:19:02

I couldn't read this without replying to you OP. Many years ago when I was 18 I fell pregnant and although I didn't have other children and I wasn't married, my partner at the time seems to have been in the same frame of mind as yours. Fast forward 21 years and I now have 3 DC's the oldest of which is 21. I met and married my now DH 8 years on after having DD1. We are a strong and very,very happy family.( we still have the grumps and gripes any normal couple have-not perfect!) Sometimes I think about what life would have been like had I made a different decision and I can't imagine it without DD1. It wasn't easy in the early days it was bloody hard. The thing which made me carry on was that I was in control of my own destiny and that of my child. If you feel in your heart you want to keep your baby then do so. I am completely on the same side with any woman who decides otherwise as all of our lives are so very different and we cannot live in each others shoes,so sometimes you need to be extremely brave in order to not continue with a pregnancy if life would be to hard to cope with. I hope you are okay, try very hard to make your decision quickly and get on with the rest of your life, no matter what you decide. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now