for not buying the tempest of doom school photo...

(51 Posts)
stickysausages Fri 22-Nov-13 22:34:51

Two photos... both horrid.

AIBU?

Frostedloop Sat 23-Nov-13 00:13:43

Son has had his first on taken last week, still not sure if it's worth it, taken far better ones myself which look more natural. The mark up is insane for what it is.

DIddled Sat 23-Nov-13 00:21:23

I had jaunty angle but with top of head cut off!! I was bloody furious as it was a gorgeous pic of my 15 yo DS- braces excepted!!! They fixed the head cut off so I paid the rip off price! Never bought one before tho as they are usually crap!!

YouTheCat Sat 23-Nov-13 00:32:31

As staff we have to let these shysters take out photos too. I'm not the most photogenic at the best of times but the last photo I had taken made me look like a rabid chipmunk on acid with bad hair.

Yanbu, absolutely terrible. The poses are so rigid and unnatural but saying that I don't do photos full stop.

stickysausages Sat 23-Nov-13 08:22:34

No jaunty angles, but one has arms folded & looks all moody & crumpled... other one been taken from above, so he's looking up with his eyes (head still slightly down) & he honestly looks a bit deranged!

I took some of him at his desk on the first day that are better, as well as the obligatory standing against the door in your new uniform shots grin

Bakingtins Sat 23-Nov-13 08:29:05

3 years in I have only bought a class photo of his YR class, all the others have been crap. I do have some lovely ones taken by a photographer who visited DS2s nursery though. They are way overpriced, I can't understand how they keep going when nearly everyone photographs their DCs every waking minute unless most people take such crap photos that the school one look ok?
I have spent the money I save not buying oddly posed photos of them in uniform on a family session with a photographer who is actually good.

I have for the first time ordered DS2's pic. He's in his last year at Middle so thought I should. it's actually an ok picture. We don't put photos up though so it will go straight in the loft. grin

Thinking about it though, why is so much importance put on having a photo of your child in school uniform? confused

CMOTDibbler Sat 23-Nov-13 08:36:36

I don't. They are uniformly rubbish, and last year it was a horrid photoshopped class one.

AgadorSpartacus Sat 23-Nov-13 08:38:39

We have bought DDs this time because a) we bought her brother's (first high school shot, not Tempest) and b) she was ill last year and missed her Reception photo.

We had a choice of two and gave a wide swerve to the giant face diagonally across the photo with a scared grimace that said " Don't come any closer with that fucking camera".

stickysausages Sat 23-Nov-13 09:05:21

It's a shame really, as his nursery one last year was lovely sad

But I suppose I'm as well not getting into a habit of buying them for the sake of it, but only if I like them smile

Ragwort Sat 23-Nov-13 09:08:41

Am I the only one who loves school photos? grin I have always bought them, most have been lovely but one or two have been awful.

But no, if you don't like them (or can take better photos yourself which I can't, then don't bother).

Now my DS is at secondary school I really miss the annual photo coming home sad.

Ragwort Sat 23-Nov-13 09:09:50

I have put all the photos on display to see how our DS has changed over the years blush - fortunately we only have one child and the display is in an upstairs room so as not to show off/bore visitors grin.

gobbin Sat 23-Nov-13 11:02:08

When DS was in primary we had the Year 4 pic where he had his lips glued together (they'd been told to smile like this because loads of kids had gaps from losing baby teeth - he hadn't lost any and had a beautiful smile!)

We also had the Year 3 pic in front of the Christmas tree in school...except a goodly proportion of pupils are Jewish or Muslim.

Oreocrumbs Sat 23-Nov-13 11:13:54

I've just been really stung at nursery and I'm furious with myself.

DD was there last year and they did the standard 'school photo' type packages. It was nice and I bought a pack for £18.

So I happily turned up and took her for this years photo the other week. Only I haven't read the small print (in the nursery library, not on the letter) and the cheapest pack is £50, for 4 pictures, so not even as many as in last years pack. And because I turned up and took her in I was bound and had to pay a deposit on the spot.

I was so taken off guard I bloody well did. The pictures haven't arrived yet, but they weren't all that. I'm so bloody cross at myself for not getting my wits about me and telling them to bugger off. angry

harticus Sat 23-Nov-13 11:14:34

Tempest are shit and a rip off.

There are so many good quality/value local professional photographers around - why do so many schools insist on using these crapsters?

RagamuffinAndFidget Sat 23-Nov-13 12:12:13

I paid for a CD with DS1's Year R photo on it. He is totally rubbish at getting his picture taken and has a really squinty smile in it but I quite like it because it's funny and I doubt he'll still be smiling in such a daft way in a few years! It was £21.50 for the CD with one picture on it though! But at least this way we can pass it around to grandparents and stuff more easily.

pigletmania Sat 23-Nov-13 12:15:41

My dd has ASD and it's so hard to get a decent photo of her, but te ones Tempest have done I'm very impressed. She goes to a different school and try had a different photographer and the photo was awful

TWWOTW Sat 23-Nov-13 12:38:54

No I didn't buy my dd's. They came in the same week that dd1 brought home letters one asking for £10 for a school trip, and another for the year 6 residential needing a £30 deposit! I wasn't going to pay £30 for photos (one each of the kids and one together) on top of that! FFS schools think we're made of money, and right before Christmas too. hmm

Cookethenook Sat 23-Nov-13 13:14:40

YANBU
I never buy DS's. They're not good at all, stupid poses, he's always scruffy looking as they do them after playtime and they're SO expensive. I just tell ds that we take so many lovely pictures of him at home that we don't have room for any more!

I've only ever bought 1 which was done at nursery and it was so so lovely. I don't think it was tempest though.

larry5 Sat 23-Nov-13 15:15:07

We used to buy photographs of our children when they were younger but one year dds made her look like a witch - hair stuck out in all directions and glasses at an angle. We kept the proof photo and when she had her 18th birthday we photo shopped it to remove the words from the picture and everyone thought how sweet she looked.

Groovee Sat 23-Nov-13 15:17:41

We got ds's this week... his last ever primary photo and he's in his PE kit!!!!! Seriously NOT HAPPY!

Bosgrove Sat 23-Nov-13 15:43:45

I wanted to buy the group photo of my three DC this year ( three separate packs of photos would have worked out as close to £90).

Got the packs in their book bags, and the group shot is a lovely picture of DD1 in the middle, then half DS face and a third of DD2. I couldn't believe they even sent it out. I have found about half a dozen other families with the same problem.

DH has taken the proof into his school to show the rest of the staff why they shouldn't use that company.

Lucky I already had a family photo session booked the for following week so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

SwishAndFlick Sat 23-Nov-13 17:11:52

We bought DD's last year as she just started in Nursery and the picture was gorgeous.
This year we didn't as she just looked scruffy and the pics I took on the first day of school were brilliant (if I do say so myself).

I am planning on buying the whole class photos though as I love looking through mine from school.

CointreauVersial Sat 23-Nov-13 22:58:20

It depends very much on the photographer. They had a lovely one at the Infant School who always came up with the most gorgeous shots, even managing to get all three of mine looking presentable in their sibling shots. The Junior School ones were a bit hit and miss - a couple of years ago they were so universally awful a lot of people complained. At the Secondary they are sitting at a desk with their arms crossed; they look like corporate photos.

I only buy them if they are nice - last year I bought all three, but this year only DD2's. It irritates the hell out of me that you can't just buy one photo, you have to buy sets as a minimum. And don't get me started on the prices.

ShylaMcCall Sat 23-Nov-13 23:07:18

I didn't buy my DS' photo this year because he had two missing front teeth and the insane eye glint of a serial killer or Tory MP.

DD has one of the "Little Urchins" photographs from nursery in which she is standing on one leg and the other one has disappeared into her petticoat. She looks like a human stork.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now