To think its reasonable to choose cake over mung beans

(57 Posts)

I've just had a very odd conversation with an acquaintance (she wants to sell me personal training )

She's massively into health and fitness obviously and was wittering on about how people will only live to 80 if they eat refined carbs but that they could have a shot at a 100 if they ate mung beans and wheatgrass.

I said I'd rather take 80 and the cake confused

She was utterly shocked by that and couldn't believe it.

Who's with me?

Who's with her?

Lemongrab Sat 23-Nov-13 14:18:47

If living to 100 means eating mungbeans and wheatgrass and looking like Gillian McKeith, I'll take the cake please!

MaryZygon Sat 23-Nov-13 13:19:51

I am forever hopeful that they will discover some really nasty harmful something in mung beans. The are more than revolting.

And I don't want to live to 100. My parents are in their 80s now and still going strong. But (though I dread them dying) they have deteriorated a lot in the last ten years and I presume will do the same at least in the next ten sad

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 23-Nov-13 13:04:30

80 and cake here too. All my grandparents have lived / are living to 90, and the last 5 years weren't good.

Caitlin17 Sat 23-Nov-13 12:21:17

What the hell are mung beans?

Maybe I'll feel differently when I'm 70 but I don't want to live until I'm 100. 80 sounds fine.

( no answer required to the question)

Ifancyashandy Sat 23-Nov-13 12:10:36

Controversial I know but I prefer mung beans to cake.

I'm gonna live till I die!

CherryColl1ns Sat 23-Nov-13 12:02:23

Doesn't have to be either or does it?

Unfortunately you don't live to 80 and eat loads of cake a day and then just keel over nicely and quietly. You spend years being fat and having obesity related illnesses.

So I'd choose what I do already. I eat healthily 6 days a week and take loads of exercise. And one day a week neat whatever I fancy. Which includes cake.

lisianthus Sat 23-Nov-13 11:04:08

Cake, definitely, although now Thistledew has reminded me of red bean oaste buns, I want those too. They are GORGEOUS.

DanceWithAStranger Fri 22-Nov-13 21:53:53

Cake. MIL is 93 and a fab baker (and she does eat her own cooking - delicious blueberry muffins are the speciality), and she is in amazing nick for her age.

Why am I not surprised it's a unanimous 'YANBU'?

If one must be healthy with cake then these are quite good grin grin

MurderOfGelth Fri 22-Nov-13 21:11:40

Cake cake cake cake cake cake... hmm.. no cake in the house, noooooo!

I don't understand the appeal of living forever if you're bloody miserable doing it

100 yrs of mung beans? no thanks.

TiggyD Fri 22-Nov-13 20:04:07

I don't really think that 80-100 are the best years of your life. I'd be happy to skip them for more cake.

ShowMeYourTARDIS Fri 22-Nov-13 20:00:21

cake

Lots of it.

Topseyt Fri 22-Nov-13 18:52:06

I have never had a mung bean in my life as far as I know.

Cake, cake and more cake for me.

It is food of the gods, and one of life's great pleasures. I'd rather die in my 80s having eaten cake and enjoyed it. Sod the mung bean brigade.

Thistledew Fri 22-Nov-13 18:44:56

All this talk of cake and beans is making me think of those Japanese sweets and deserts made of red beans. This.

It sounds quite worthy, but done right they are utterly delicious. I wonder how many years you would get for cake made of beans? Do you get a mean of the two, or is it cumulative? grin cake

Bogeyface Fri 22-Nov-13 17:40:20

Its like the old joke. If you dont drink, dont smoke, and dont eat any crap you could live an extra 20 years. But if you dont drink, dont smoke and dont eat any crap, why the fuck would you want to?!

CecilyP Fri 22-Nov-13 17:39:25

Cake for me! All my aunts and uncles were very partial to cake and lived till their mid-80s. Anyway what is a mung bean?

ConferencePear Fri 22-Nov-13 17:39:19

Supposing you give up cake and then die young anyway ? Tell your friend there are no guarantees.

Can I swap my cake for ice cream and sweets? I'll take living to 70 if that's a fair compromise?

Actually I ate some strawberries today, so I'll have until 75. Cheers.

PurplePidjin Fri 22-Nov-13 17:33:15

My 92yo fully marbled up independent living gran lives almost exclusively on her own homemade lemon drizzle cake and banana bread hmm

AndHarry Fri 22-Nov-13 17:06:14

P.S. I thought this was going to be a pre-school child in Waitrose thread.

IslaValargeone Fri 22-Nov-13 17:05:12

100 years without cake.
Bugger that.

AndHarry Fri 22-Nov-13 17:04:46

Cake.

Properly old old age doesn't look much fun, sorry.

I might change this choice when I reach 79 grin

Bettercallsaul1 Fri 22-Nov-13 17:03:36

Hell, I'm going to plump for 80 and cake - live fast, die young!

CerealKillerMom Fri 22-Nov-13 16:59:13

As a veggie, I'd take cake every time. Just thinking of my (mung) carbon footprint ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now